C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Transmission Tunnel Insulation Fit??

Old 12-27-2010, 08:00 PM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Transmission Tunnel Insulation Fit??

I lined up the hole in the insulation over the hole in the transmision tunnel. In doing this I was unable to bend the tabs out on the insulation in the front. The insulation was approx 1 inch short of the front tabs. The only way to hold the insulation is to bend the most forward tab back towards the rear. I know this is not correct, I may have a bad piece of tunnel insulation, has anyone had a problem similiar to this.
I looked in the AIM for install procedure for the insulation, it just shows the tabs bending out and makes no reference to shifter hole alignment.

Any Ideas??
Old 12-27-2010, 09:50 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Mine lined up properly. The insulation will cover part of the tunnel hole under the ashtray area. The tabs should be well into the insulation.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

You don't mention if the insulation is new (repro) or old. However, the position of the clips that hold it don't lie when it comes to how it should fit. I replaced mine with a repro from one of the major vendors and new SS clips in the old holes and everything fit perfectly. Pilot Dan
Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 AM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the response. My tunnel insulation is a repro from a major corvette supplier. I checked with them and was told that all their tunnel insulation matches OEM specifications.

I have a new part on the way and will see how this will fit.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

One additional recommendation on the installation, in addition to the clips that hold the insulation, use some contact cement or weatherstrip adhesive (what I used) so that you get a tight fit and no sag later on. Assuming you have the tranny out, now is the time to do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Tunnel Insulation Fit??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Tunnel Insulation Fit??