C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

PG leaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Default PG leaks

I'm just covering a few leaks that some people may have on their Cast iron PG because I've had a few people ask.

1. On the PG main valve body there are cast iron (two) rings that seal into the clutch drum assy that hold the clutch's. Like the engine piston rings sealing against the cylinder walls keeping engine compression high.
If the rings get worn ( or not seal) or the bushing in the clutch assy gets worn having groves, oil from the torque Convertor 80% will by gravity drain back into the PG case that is not a sealed tight case will leak oil. ( some times over night 1 quart or more ).

2. The PG oil filter has a wide thick seal (see pic) if it gets torn ,old or not installed proper air will leak pass being sucked up when you start the engine and oil will blow back up the filler tube. ( the filter must be tightened evenly when installed) so not to pinch the seal.

Note: a PG has a rear oil pump (SO) well if you ever have a dead battery and your lucky to be on a hill or some one can push you up to a speed of 25mph turn the key on ,drop it into "L" and the engine using the Generator will start the engine.

Note: can you pull a car with a PG a long distance by the rear tires NO! Because the rear pump will be working and burn the PG out (clutch's)

Can you use todays oil in the older PG =YES

Can I rebuild a PG by my self and get parts =YES if you can rebuild a Carburetor you can (simple)

Hope this answers some questions people ask me
Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info!

I look forward to and read all of your PG posts in anticipation of when I track down a correct '56 unit for my car

Quick Reply: PG leaks