C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need Input on Price of a rare 1961 Corvette

Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 AM
jsieczkos
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Input on Price of a rare 1961 Corvette

I'm looking at a 1961 Corvette for possible purchase. This car has received a complete Body Off Restoration to Bloomington Gold & NCRS Top Flight specifications. All Components have been completely Rebuilt & Restored. This car has the Very Rare RPO 687 Big Brake & Suspension Package. It also has the RPO 276 Wide Wheel Option. It is a 315 hp 283 cu in Fuel Injected Engine with a 4-Speed Trans. The car received a NCRS Top Flight 98.5%. I would like input on what this car is worth in todays market.

Thank you in advance for your advice and inputs.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

This is my opinion only!
I see many people asking the same type question often here. It cant ever be done to anyones satisfaction because we all have different standards.
1. What seems to be a good price to you would be to others radical
2. To many documentation can now be repro'ed and even aged to look original
3. Awards mean little because there only good for that day received
4. I've seen all the above on a few Corvettes that I would not pay any price for it
5. To many Corvettes are comeing out being restored having mostly repro parts and not having original's parts.
6. To many Corvettes are being changed to increase value like adding BB,FI,AC,4 speed and on and on.

So the only answer to you question is that it's up to you and if your worried about a car (TAKE) some one that may help you to decide that may know what your looking at.
To many think they know what is or not wrong with a Corvette , but getting some other person to go with you is good insurance. I hear some people cry that they got screwed buying a Corvette that a buyer said was this or that!, and I find it hard to feel sorry for them.

Last edited by 1955 copper; 01-13-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree with ROY.Someone who knows what they are looking at.You have to make sure they did not switch out parts after the judging.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sounds like the car is 'garage jewelry' to me and belongs in a museum or private collection. With the rare options and restoration level I think $85K-$115K in this market and that is a huge SWAG (Smart Wild Azz Guess)... It would be worth more if it were a year with lower production numbers....there were close to 11,000 '61s built...a high number for any single year of C1s. Even more if ALL of the original history were known...proof that the car was bought with the rare options and they weren't added later on.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
This is my opinion only!
I see many people asking the same type question often here. It cant ever be done to anyones satisfaction because we all have different standards.
1. What seems to be a good price to you would be to others radical
2. To many documentation can now be repro'ed and even aged to look original
3. Awards mean little because there only good for that day received
4. I've seen all the above on a few Corvettes that I would not pay any price for it
5. To many Corvettes are comeing out being restored having mostly repro parts and not having original's parts.
6. To many Corvettes are being changed to increase value like adding BB,FI,AC,4 speed and on and on.

So the only answer to you question is that it's up to you and if your worried about a car (TAKE) some one that may help you to decide that may know what your looking at.
To many think they know what is or not wrong with a Corvette , but getting some other person to go with you is good insurance. I hear some people cry that they got screwed buying a Corvette that a buyer said was this or that!, and I find it hard to feel sorry for them.
Boy, I love this answer. Truth if I ever heard it!

PS. A buddy of mine sold one just like this about 4-5 years ago for $90K. The buyer had to roll it on the trailer as it hadn't been started in years and the brakes didn't work. Other than that, it was a beautiful car. My buddy thought he left money on the table.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Roy brings up a great point, IMHO.

I would NEVER pay good money for a car restored using reproduction parts, I don't care how accurate they are, EXCEPT a very few parts that absolutely cannot be found. Even then, after purchase I would hunt til the end of the earth for original, in any condition. Almost anything can be restored.

Look very carefully at the receipts used during the restoration to be sure all original parts were restored or that original parts were purchased.

Last edited by 92GTA; 01-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Nice to see some feel the same way
Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
Nice to see some feel the same way
100%
Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
kskid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thoughts are if its a trailer queen or you just let it set in the garage, its a waste of money no matter what you paid. You want some thing you can get use out of.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jsieczkos
I'm looking at a 1961 Corvette for possible purchase. This car has received a complete Body Off Restoration to Bloomington Gold & NCRS Top Flight specifications. All Components have been completely Rebuilt & Restored. This car has the Very Rare RPO 687 Big Brake & Suspension Package. It also has the RPO 276 Wide Wheel Option. It is a 315 hp 283 cu in Fuel Injected Engine with a 4-Speed Trans. The car received a NCRS Top Flight 98.5%. I would like input on what this car is worth in todays market.

Thank you in advance for your advice and inputs.
Have a qualified C1 expert with you to make sure the car is all its supposed to be... a second opinion is always helpful,every one has a different expectation of what a restored car should be .. but the most important factor is if you feel confident and happy in your final decision ..no second guessing aloud ...good luck and enjoy, it aint cheap to be cool !

Last edited by csysman; 01-13-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Originally Posted by kskid
My thoughts are if its a trailer queen or you just let it set in the garage, its a waste of money no matter what you paid. You want some thing you can get use out of.
Agreed +1000

However, I know if I had the money, I would buy a perfect one, drive the heck out of it and fully restore it every 15-20 years as needed lol.

If you are being so **** keeping it nice that it worries you when you drive it hard, then it's more stress vs. enjoyment.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you buy it and IF you drive it, you will get this question all the time. "What's a car like that worth?" and you will be able to tell them. Now I've had mine over 25 years and I don't know I just tell people "nothing because I'm never going to sell it" Now I agree if I put new paint on my car I'd probably be to to park it anywhere.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GTA
Roy brings up a great point, IMHO.

I would NEVER pay good money for a car restored using reproduction parts, I don't care how accurate they are, EXCEPT a very few parts that absolutely cannot be found. Even then, after purchase I would hunt til the end of the earth for original, in any condition. Almost anything can be restored.

Look very carefully at the receipts used during the restoration to be sure all original parts were restored or that original parts were purchased.
i do not understand you making the above statement. you are the owner of a 99% original and complete, 1956 black 1x4 with powerglide. on 10/9/2010 you post a picture of your 1956, red with powerpack and three speed that gets a trophy for most original out of 350 cars?
Old 01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Originally Posted by scopeli
i do not understand you making the above statement. you are the owner of a 99% original and complete, 1956 black 1x4 with powerglide. on 10/9/2010 you post a picture of your 1956, red with powerpack and three speed that gets a trophy for most original out of 350 cars?
It's because I wanted a car as close original as possible, what could more original than an unrestored 24K mile car. Sure it was painted red over black in 1960 and had a 3-spd dropped in at the same time, but I'm tracking down an original PG as we speak. I've also been absolutely meticulous about tracking down original genuine parts, NOS or original used, for everything I can, including a basic distributor rebuild which most will never see the inside of, but I do and that matters to me. That's how I enjoy the hobby.

I personally would NEVER trust buying a completely done car, that it was done right and used original parts. You can't visually check everything.

My point to the thread starter was that if he is going to pay market value for a totally done car, that it should be with original parts, not reproduction parts. Just for return on investment if anything everything else aside.

Last edited by 92GTA; 01-13-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I personally would NEVER trust buying a completely done car, that it was done right and used original parts. You can't visually check everything.

My point to the thread starter was that if he is going to pay market value for a totally done car, that it should be with original parts, not reproduction parts. Just for return on investment if anything everything else aside.
I like your enthusiasm but I think you are being a bit unrealistic to believe that only original parts have value anymore. Let me know if you find show quality original carpet, original seat covers, original weatherstripping for your 56. It's not true that you can always find restorable parts.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I like your enthusiasm but I think you are being a bit unrealistic to believe that only original parts have value anymore. Let me know if you find show quality original carpet, original seat covers, original weatherstripping for your 56. It's not true that you can always find restorable parts.
That's why in all of my posts I say original for all the parts possible, I was very specific as I know allot of common wear items are not available anymore.

I just think the effort should be made. Too many original cars are stripped of original parts and restored using all repro just to make money.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
dunney
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How much do you think Big Brakes add to the value of a car?

Get notified of new replies

To Need Input on Price of a rare 1961 Corvette

Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I just think the effort should be made. Too many original cars are stripped of original parts and restored using all repro just to make money.
Ummmm, OK.

I replaced my original parts with repro parts because the originals looked like crap and couldn't be saved. I'm not going to do a show quality paint job and put a trashed interior back in the car because I refuse to use repro parts.

In any event, your views are appropriate for what you want out of the hobby. They may not represent the majority of opinions of all of us.

I finished restoring my 62 in 1983, 28 years ago this March. I promise there are repro parts on my car that are in just as bad of shape now, as the originals were when I started my restoration. I'd bet most people couldn't look at my 28 year old repros and be sure if they were repros, or well preserved originals.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Not sure the OP is getting what he asked for.

He's had some negativity thrown at the concept of a highly restored car with certification all over the place and poo-pooing a "trailer queen" and well, veiled anti NCRS type show car talk.

I'm going to assume the guy knows a fuelie thats completely restored still isnt exactly a daily driver. OP, did you know that already? Its meant to be a trailer queen, and a car like that needs no apologies. If you want a car you can drive a lot, find a #3 car with a 350, not this one. I'm guessing that's not what you are shopping for.

Regarding awards, its absolutely positively true that some cars with awards have had parts changed since they were certified. However, Im going to take a wild stab and guess that most cars with Bloomington Gold certification AND Top Flight awards are NOT the type of car that someone takes home and puts chrome valave covers on and switches out the exhaust. Just a guess.

The key, as was said, is if you are looking at a car that could well be close to the six-figure range, is to bring a solid axle expert with you, someone who can verify important numbers and configurations. If those awards have not been invalidated, then they absolutely, positively DO enhance the value greatly, regardless of the fact that some people want to minimize them.

There will always be those who would like to dismiss the value of a well-certified car and act like its status as a museum piece is something that its cool to make snarky remarks about. It's not. It won't be a waste in your garage, either.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I prefer original parts and like the patina of all things original....but we are extremely fortunate to have the reproduction parts that are available today. Just ask the guys in the Cadillac & LaSalle Club, where we don't have the aftermarket industry to supply even a minute fraction of what is available for Corvettes, Camaros, and Chevelles. I sold my pristine 69 DeVille convertible mostly because I got tired of scouring the earth for parts to keep it the way I wanted it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Input on Price of a rare 1961 Corvette