C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Thomas66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteRed1965
Talked with Steve two weeks ago. All is fine. Hopes to be back on the Vette soon.
I think a few of us need to go up to his place for some encouragement...He is only
30 minutes NE of here.
That is great news! I was getting worried.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:29 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Talked with Steve two weeks ago. All is fine. Hopes to be back on the Vette soon.
I think a few of us need to go up to his place for some encouragement...He is only
30 minutes NE of here.
That's great! Maybe we should meet for lunch somewhere near him if he would prefer? He's less than an hour south of me as I recall when we were corresponding a year or so ago. Maybe a handful of forum members are close enough to join in? PM me if it sounds like there is interest!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 AM
mccarley
Corvette Freak
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 343 Likes on 180 Posts

30 minutes E of here.
Great, glad everything is good.

Last edited by mccarley; 03-07-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:54 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
That's great! Maybe we should meet for lunch somewhere near him if he would prefer? He's less than an hour south of me as I recall when we were corresponding a year or so ago. Maybe a handful of forum members are close enough to join in? PM me if it sounds like there is interest!

I'm in. I don't know exactly where he is but from reading the topic, he is less than 15miles from my place. I'd even help on the car.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 AM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know Steve hasn't posted for a while....Anyways if all goes as planned I'll be starting a resto on a 66 soon.

Does anyone know what tabletop blast cabinet and compressor Steve is using?

I've been looking at the tabletop versions (25gal), they claim they only need 5CFM @ 80psi.....So, If I buy a compressor rated at 5.1CFM @ 90psi will it work???
Old 03-15-2015, 08:17 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure what Steve uses but will offer my 2 cents. Size matters in terms of HP and style. A single stage 3 1/2 HP will run more than a two stage and with a 20 gal tank can work. If you buy a cabinet from the well known importer using their 25% off coupon you can change nozzles to control the CFM demand. If you search the used market beware of poorly maintained compressors and cabinets that have holes blown through them. I use 5 different style blasters depending on what I doing and even use cardboard boxes. Trash cans and plastic tarps besides my cabinets. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ptwohey
I'm not sure what Steve uses but will offer my 2 cents. Size matters in terms of HP and style. A single stage 3 1/2 HP will run more than a two stage and with a 20 gal tank can work. If you buy a cabinet from the well known importer using their 25% off coupon you can change nozzles to control the CFM demand. If you search the used market beware of poorly maintained compressors and cabinets that have holes blown through them. I use 5 different style blasters depending on what I doing and even use cardboard boxes. Trash cans and plastic tarps besides my cabinets. Hope this helps.

Cool, Thanks.
There's a benchtop unit (25 gal 5CFM @ 80psi) for sale locally for $65 that's looks like the same one Steve has so I know it will work for most of the parts....Not a bad price, I might have to go get it. But then there's also the larger 30 gal unit at HF for $120. The HF unit claims it needs 10CFM @ 80psi, so how do I know what size tip I need when my 30 gal compressor only puts out 5.1cfm @ 80psi?

Last edited by Brad-SixTsix; 03-15-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:38 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The CFM at the gun is controlled by the inner air orifice and the outer air/grit mixer. Sand blasting takes a lot of CFM but with a small compressor you don't always hold the trigger constantly and empty the tank. Work in small batches at a time and let the compressor cool down in between. Water in the air does not help and the hotter the compressor lines and more vapor is condensed so keep the tank drained often. Its also good to put an air dryer in the line but not really needed if you keep the tank drained.
The used one and the new HF one are possibly close in size for what they will hold and possibly the used one is the DeVilbiss brand which are OK and easier to get parts for. Sometimes HF parts are hard to get and expensive. If you do look at the used one try to get a demonstration. Air blaster guns can wear out within the handle when the O ring wears allowing air to bypass the ceramic and that will erode the metal so check it carefully. As far as HF for $120.00 Join the coupon club if you have not already and wait for the 20 or 25% coupon and save a few more bucks. If you have the space go for the larger HF cabinet so when you get to the big parts you have room. Also, study the media that's available. I use crushed glass on smaller parts that I pick up at the swap meets. It is not as dusty as sand and cuts very even. Glass bead is more expensive so that's why I like the crushed recycled stuff. With HD parts like the frame sand is cheap so blow it away but rather than the cabinet I put big stuff in a different container and use the cheap $20 hand blaster. If you are not familiar with sand blasting, practice on NG parts and start at low pressure. Blasting causes heat and with sand on steel you get sparks that generates even more heat. Heat warps metal so be careful.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 815 Posts

It has been a year, I miss the great updates and progress on this car.
I hope it is resting and not sold off.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:06 AM
reefdiver
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have an update on Steve?
The following users liked this post:
jimgessner (01-25-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:23 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts