C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Exporting to Canada????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Exporting to Canada????

Has anyone successfully IMPORTED an old vette into Canada? My 65 has been unregistered for 11 years, and comes from a state that doesn't issue titles for vehicles 10 years or older.

Buyer in Toronto and I are struggling. Oddly, Canadian dmv folks aren't very helpful......I want to avoid re-registering my car, paying sales tax, paying property tax, paying for a VIN inspection, and so on, just to sell it.

I shipped a car to Austria last year, and it went into a container and dissappeared. Only wanted a bill of sale.

Looking for any quidance from anyone successful in doing this.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM
al89
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

cars imported into canada need a title unless it is a race car. i have imported from u.s. many times
wayne
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al89
cars imported into canada need a title unless it is a race car. i have imported from u.s. many times
wayne
I am not sure this is 100% correct...it very much depends on what province the vehicle will ultimately be registered in.

Canada does not "title" cars in the same way the US does and cars can be registered on a bill of sale only.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM
al89
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ktchir
I am not sure this is 100% correct...it very much depends on what province the vehicle will ultimately be registered in.

Canada does not "title" cars in the same way the US does and cars can be registered on a bill of sale only.
nothing to do with province you have to send copy of title ,bill of sale to us border 72 hours before you show up with the car or you are not going into canada period
wayne
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://ucanimport.com/

It is called ucanimport because it is a Canadain website.

Click on the lower right where the US and Canadian flags are crossed. Follow the instructions for the Province, State, and border crossing you intend to use. Paper work, work sheets, needs to be faxed 72 hours, 3 working days before the vehicle arrives at the border. The Canadian buyer needs to present the orginal paperwork and vehicle to the US port of entry before they cross to Canada.

The Canadians do protect the revenue and will send the vehicle back if it doesn't have export stamps by Customs, then the buyer gets to deal with a US fail to export (smuggle).

Rule of thumb, a vehicle is any engine powered conveyance that can be driven on the highway, that includes George Jones' riding lawn mower.

Last edited by UberLegend; 01-28-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Your buyer needs to hire a shipper and broker. Most car carriers will have a reccomended broker that takes care of the border crossing paperwork. The broker will contact you, as the shipper, and will work out what paperwork is needed from you for the car to cross the border and be registerable (legal) in Canada. I'm guessing that the No Title will be an issue though.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have imported car's , motorcycles and trailer's into Ontario many times without hiring a broker.
It is the US Customs that require you to notify the US border crossing point where you are leaving the US 72 hours ahead by fax . You stop on the US side and they will put a stamp on the title that they have seen it leave. The Canadian Customs does not require this stamp . I have done it manny times not stopping as some US crossing export offices are only open business hours.
I would check with Canadian Customs before trying to bring a vehicle back without the origonal title ( not a copy ) . I have brought a few trailers into Ontario with only a bill of sale but I was required to get an Official Letter from the State where I purchased it stating that that State does not Title light trailers .
You show up on the Ontario side with your Title and Bill of Sale, tell the Officer that you are importing the vehicle and you will be sent inside with your paper work to fill out a form for the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles ) and you will pay a fee if it is less than 15 yrs old (last time I did it it was about $250.00 ( plus an extra tax if the veh has A/C ) . Also they will collect the tax (Fed and Provincal in ont . HST )
If the vehicle is over 15 years old you don't have to pay the ($250.00)
If it is under 15yrs the 250 is to pay for an inspection to make sure it has all of the origonal emission and safety equipment,
This is how it workes for a private citizen to import a vehicle into Ontario , If you are a business it is a whole lot more pain.
It seems like a lot but it really isn't too bad.

Good Luck Bill Purdy
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

here is a discussion from the C6 forum... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...post1576577325
Old 01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Canada?

We don't worry about that in Texas. We worry about cars getting stolen and disappearing into Mexico.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avispa
Canada?

We don't worry about that in Texas. We worry about cars getting stolen and disappearing into Mexico.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Don't get me started on getting cars into Canada. I had my Cobra sold to a fellow firefighter who lived in Vancouver. After research and talking to Transport Canada (the governing body) they said if you try to get that car into Canada, we'll confiscate & destroy it with NO COMPENSATION to the owner. What a bunch of azzholes.

Jim
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Howy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '63 convertible burnt in may 2010 and in june 2010 I (being from Canada)went to Delaware to get a 1964 coupe.I live in Grand Falls,New Brunswick which is close to the border of Hamlin Maine.I left the car in Hamlin and left the title and receipt at US customs and went home.3 days after i went to get the car and stopped at US customs,thay gave me my papers and i continued to Canada customs were they charged me the tax(GST 7%) and brought the car home.The next day i went to the DMV and registered the car,got plates and paid their tax(PST 6%) plus $18.00 for the plates and started driving that day.No need for Rigistrar of Import Vehicles for older cars.No need for a broker unless the transaction is business related.I have also crossed another car with a bill of sale only.Every time,very easy.Maybe because we live close to the border and cross often.

Good Luck
Howy
Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Default Bull

Originally Posted by 1snake
Don't get me started on getting cars into Canada. I had my Cobra sold to a fellow firefighter who lived in Vancouver. After research and talking to Transport Canada (the governing body) they said if you try to get that car into Canada, we'll confiscate & destroy it with NO COMPENSATION to the owner. What a bunch of azzholes.

Jim

I have to call Bull on that story !

Bill Purdy
Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 63split63
I have to call Bull on that story !

Bill Purdy
I have no idea why you would say that but, according to "T.C.", kit cars have to be 15 years or older to be brought into Canada. Even though mine is legally titled as a 65, they said "we don't care what it's titled as, it's not 15 years old and we will destroy it". The rules were changed about 3 years ago and they are really strict. If there was a way to get this car up there, we would have done it.
As a side bar, my cousin's friend bought a WCC (West Coast Chopper) for $50K but when he brought it into Canada, he said he paid $20K. They searched his truck and found the original documents for the real purchase price. They confiscated his bike and wrote him a very large fine.
If you have some inside info. or pull with the T.C. let me know because he still wants my car. I'd be happy to pay you a very large fee if you can get it to him LEGALLY. Otherwise, I'm calling B.S. on you.

Jim

Last edited by 1snake; 01-28-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend (Wally Horodnyk) who owns one of the larger auto transport companies in Canada. His company is called TFX. He is a major transporter of cars out of Barret Jackson into Canada. He is located in Toronto Ontario. Toll free 888 415 3158 or direct at 416-243-8531. or Google TFX International Specialized Vehicle Transpot. He will have all the correct info, good guy
Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Loads of my Canadian friends import and export high dollar cars all the time. I haven't in years, but I have brought 6 or 8 into Canada, and a couple to Fla, but that was years ago, and the rules have changed. My bud just imported a year old Cadillac, and saved a pile.
Sooooo, don't believe all the stories here, investigate yourself, it can be done and is relatively painless. You will need a title or registration, old or new, with all the pertinent numbers on it as well as a receipt, although taxes are assigned from a book.

In the old days, we would go down, buy a complete car, tear it down to parts and bring it up with a couple of pickups and trailers as "car parts", to save tax
Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

I have no idea why you would say that but, according to "T.C.", kit cars have to be 15 years or older to be brought into Canada. Even though mine is legally titled as a 65, they said "we don't care what it's titled as, it's not 15 years old and we will destroy it". The rules were changed about 3 years ago and they are really strict. If there was a way to get this car up there, we would have done it.
As a side bar, my cousin's friend bought a WCC (West Coast Chopper) for $50K but when he brought it into Canada, he said he paid $20K. They searched his truck and found the original documents for the real purchase price. They confiscated his bike and wrote him a very large fine.
If you have some inside info. or pull with the T.C. let me know because he still wants my car. I'd be happy to pay you a very large fee if you can get it to him LEGALLY. Otherwise, I'm calling B.S. on you.

Jim
First off the question was about importing a Corvette into Ontario, not a "kit" car. I have never imported a kit and therefore I know nothing about it. I have imported real titled cars without any problems.
If your cousin lied to customs about how much he paid for his MC he was commiting fraud to avoid paying taxes. I don't know how the authoritys in your state would handle this but the government here in Canada gets real pissed when you lie to get out of paying your taxes and they catch you.
I bet he gets searched every time he goes across the border now, and so he should .
You made it sound like Canada is some roge state confiscating cars and destroying them , to that I say BULL .
And by the way I too am a fellow Firefighter of 37 years service .

Regards Bill Purdy

Get notified of new replies

To Exporting to Canada????

Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I have imported four cars from the US into Canada over the years, the most recent was my 2010 GS vert last August. Kit cars (most rods also) are a no-no, but otherwise it's pretty much straight forward.
A title on a vintage car is not always a necessity, some States like VT did not issue titles 20 years ago. My '65 Mustang was a VT car, sales contract and proof of valid VT registration was sufficient to bring it in, a letter from the VT DMV explaining that they did not title 20 yrs ago was also helpful. I had also printed the section from the Canadian federal website that explained that a title was not always required and had it with me to show them.
Regardless of the vehicle year, you have to sent the title (or equivalent) to the US customs office where you will cross 72 hrs before you can export the vehicle from the US. Only some will let you fax the documents, most now require the originals, call directly to the US station where you wish to cross to confirm requirements (and hours for vehicle export). There is no Canadian federal inspection required for cars over 15 yrs old, but in most provinces you will will probably need a provincial one to plate it.
Don't BS them on the value, they have NADA guides and will also go online to EBay etc... to check market values. I always also bring listings for similar cars to substantiate the price I paid on mine, especially important if it's a private sale. A notarized contract is also a good idea for a private sale.
Do your homework and follow all the steps, easy if you do it the way they want it done.

Good luck,

Paul

I just reread my reply, if you don't have a title or a valid registration in your name, I don't know how you would go about proving to the Canadian federal GVT that you are the legal owner of the vehicle? In other words, you have to be able to prove to them that you own it before you can sell it...

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 01-28-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 63split63
First off the question was about importing a Corvette into Ontario, not a "kit" car. I have never imported a kit and therefore I know nothing about it. I have imported real titled cars without any problems.
If your cousin lied to customs about how much he paid for his MC he was commiting fraud to avoid paying taxes. I don't know how the authoritys in your state would handle this but the government here in Canada gets real pissed when you lie to get out of paying your taxes and they catch you.
I bet he gets searched every time he goes across the border now, and so he should .
You made it sound like Canada is some roge state confiscating cars and destroying them , to that I say BULL .
And by the way I too am a fellow Firefighter of 37 years service . The guy that wanted my car was a Vancouver FF and his dad was the retired chief there.

Regards Bill Purdy
Bill, You were the one that called B.S. about getting my kit car into Canada and now you say you know nothing about it. Make up your mind.

It wasn't my cousin but his friend and yes he lied and yes they confiscated his bike(and kept it) and fined him. My only point is that they do confiscate vehicles. That is what T.C. told me they would do if the new owner was caught with my car.
The whole kit car problem started when someone who was importing Superformance Cobras got into a pizzin' match with T.C. and lost. Now you can't import ANY kit car/ hot rod that is less then 15 years old. That was my only point.

Congrats. on 37 years of service. I retired after 31 years. The guy that wanted my car is a Vancouver FF and his Dad is the retired Chief there.

Jim
Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Bill, You were the one that called B.S. about getting my kit car into Canada and now you say you know nothing about it. Make up your mind.

It wasn't my cousin but his friend and yes he lied and yes they confiscated his bike(and kept it) and fined him. My only point is that they do confiscate vehicles. That is what T.C. told me they would do if the new owner was caught with my car.
The whole kit car problem started when someone who was importing Superformance Cobras got into a pizzin' match with T.C. and lost. Now you can't import ANY kit car/ hot rod that is less then 15 years old. That was my only point.

Congrats. on 37 years of service. I retired after 31 years. The guy that wanted my car is a Vancouver FF and his Dad is the retired Chief there.

Jim
Hi Jim, You did not mention in your first post that your Cobra was a kit car, I am sure that there are different rules for these types of vehicles. Maybee the Vancouver Brother could bring it in as parts and re- assemble and title it that way . Again I am only speculating as I have never imported a kit .
I also find it hard to swallow that your friends MC was not returned to him after he paid the fine that he deserved .
About your kit car, The only way the Canadian authority's would confiscate it is if he was cought with it after it was smuggled into the country . I think the U.S. would do the same if you were smuggling cars in . Would that make them azzholes too?
I felt it was my duty to defend our honour .

Enjoy your retirement, I am planning to retire in 2012 .

Regards Bill Purdy

Quick Reply: Exporting to Canada????