C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Gas Tank leak... Repairable?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
JOHN383
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 Gas Tank leak... Repairable?

I have a gas tank leak on the underside of a 66 vette tank. Its about
1" away from the horizontal cross bar that supports the tank and straps
so there is easy access. Is there a repair method or material (adhesive) that will seal this tank without removing it from the car. I suspect a bit of rust thru from the inside as the outside surface still shows a fairly clean no rust surface. Leak rate about a drop/minute.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:25 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

IHMO Get a new tank ASAP. Too serious of an issue.

The tanks are cheap and not very hard to pull.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1sttexan

a gas tank is much cheaper then anther car or a burned down house
Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

For a quick fix I have used some two part epoxy specifically made for tank repairs. However with that being said I would only consider it a bandaid until you have the time to install a new tank. If you developed a leak it won't be long before another appears. The correct tank is only about 150 bucks. cheap insurance if you ask me.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
JOHN383
Instructor

That's what I hope to do... temp repair. Any product name that your aware of?

I was thinking of a fiberglass patch for a temp fix too.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

JB Weld will work for a temporary fix, but I agree with the above, get a new tank!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,511 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 1sttexan

Tanks are too cheap and the potential consequences of a leak are so serious that I wouldn't waste any effort trying to salvage/patch/repair an old tank at all.

Jim
Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by JOHN383
That's what I hope to do... temp repair. Any product name that your aware of?

I was thinking of a fiberglass patch for a temp fix too.

Auto supplies have a gas tank repair epoxy putty. Would work as a temp fix. As long as you have access to the actual leak.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Clean the surrounding area (necessary for any fix), apply generous amounts of silicone sealer/gasket maker and then cover that with the old, faithful duct tape.

Order new tank.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 427435
Clean the surrounding area (necessary for any fix), apply generous amounts of silicone sealer/gasket maker and then cover that with the old, faithful duct tape.

Order new tank.
Dude, it's like 2011, you know?

I'd just replace the tank. It would be a good excuse to do a lot of other things.....while you're at it.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 427435

Order new tank.
Yeah, but drain the tank first!

Gerry
Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau66427

I'd just replace the tank. It would be a good excuse to do a lot of other things.....while you're at it.

I (and a lot of people) would have to run to the store for that. The materials I listed should be in everyone's garage.

If the tank isn't already empty from the leak, my fix would work anyway--------because the leak would be quite small.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 AM
postalpete
Instructor

Default Gas Tank

John,
While "restoring" my 66 gas tank with a kit (cleaner/sealer) from Eastwood almost 15 years a go, I found a pin hole that I probably did when I was scrubbing the exterior of the tank because it did not leak before the cleaning process begin.
Anyway I cleaned and sealed the tank more than 15 years a go and no leaks ever since. I did not buy the gas tank kit for a leak but it worked.
I am hesitant to recommend such a fix since Quanta sells a good repop at a good price but it actually worked for me.
Pete
Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by postalpete
John,
While "restoring" my 66 gas tank with a kit (cleaner/sealer) from Eastwood almost 15 years a go, ....
Pete
Hi Pete,
I used that same product in my 62 about 15 or 16 years ago as well. I primarily did it to seal up any light rust that was starting to form on the inner walls of my tank.

Last year I discovered the liner was coming apart and floating around in my tank.

I've HEARD that the sealer, which is what creates the liner once it dries, is not as happy with today's fuels (10% ethanol) and that modern fuels will start to do bad things to it.

Don't know for sure if it's true or not, but you may wish to keep an eye on your tank.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 AM
postalpete
Instructor

Jeff,
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out - I have been thinking about buying a Qunta repop tank while I have the car a part and am now getting her close to back on the road now is probably the time.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHN383
I have a gas tank leak on the underside of a 66 vette tank. Its about
1" away from the horizontal cross bar that supports the tank and straps
so there is easy access. Is there a repair method or material (adhesive) that will seal this tank without removing it from the car. I suspect a bit of rust thru from the inside as the outside surface still shows a fairly clean no rust surface. Leak rate about a drop/minute.
Others have said it, and I'll say it too....

Don't even bother. Buy a new tank. You can get an exact repro with the OL Anderson logo, or you can get one without (cheaper)

Regardless, it's not worth messing with a patch job.

Years ago, when I restored my 54, tanks were not available, and I patched up and sealed my original tank. The car was back together and running.

Came home one day after work, and when I walked into the house, the smell of gas would have knocked you over.

Went to the garage and found about 10 gallons of gas all over the floor. Should have called the fire department, but I didn't.

CAREFULLY opened the garage door without the opener (no spark), got a hose, and rinsed the gas out. I dodged a bullet that time.

When I took the tank out, the sealant had let loose, and the bottom of the tank looked like a salt shaker.

Bought a new tank.

Also, after I bought my 69 back about 15 years ago, I kept smelling raw gas in the garage. NOTHING on the floor. Started looking closely. Had a pin hole dripping on the top of the spare tire carrier. NOT enough to drip on the floor, but enough to cover the top of the carrier, then evaporate.

Didn't think twice about buying a Quanta tank. At that time I lived in Maryland, and Quanta was located about 25 miles from my house.

Chuck
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau66427

Man! I can be real deadly with that stuff!! I wonder if that would work on the wife?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 AM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

when i bought my 65 there was 2 patches in the gas tank and the guy gave me a new gas tank he bought from his gm dealer 1981. I just replaced the tank a few weeks ago because of one of the patches haveing a varnish looking stain on one side. At anyrate the correct fix can last many years but for the money I would replace it.

A quick story. I guy that works for me told me this. Back 20 years ago when he was 18 drove to the mall and parked his parents car. When he got out he could smell a faint smell of gas. So he went to the service counter and told the lady that he could smell gas outside in the parking lot. She said ok thanks for the information and he went about his shopping. When he came out of the mall to his surprise there were 3 fire trucks and 3 police cruzers outside. The guy who owned the car was being questioned and everyone was pionting.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Gas Tank leak... Repairable?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C2 Gas Tank leak... Repairable?