C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Generator Voltage Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Roger Quintero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your on it

What I did was look up the numbers on the old regulator. No one mention going that routine to determine voltage. Actully that should have been my first step. Guess what you have to have a 35 volt regulator to simulate a 35 Amp generator. Mine voltage regulator was 25 volts. That is why it always was a little negative and evenutally they burned up. Low and behold once I put on a the right amount of voltage everything worked. I took the car out for a 200 mile cruz and the lights were bright, needle on the gauge went to the plus side and charged accordingly when accessories were use.
Dont let anyone tell you 57-61 regulators are all the same. I have a couple old time corvette buddies that swear by that rule.

You were on the right track.

Thanks
Rog

By the way I have graduated to expert on this learning curve. There really isnt much to a voltage regulator and generator once you tear them apart and going through the pain in the Butt learning curve.
This forum helped alot.

Quick Reply: Generator Voltage Problem