C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear end Height of 1962

Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

FAWNDUECE : You stated that you replaced the front coils and now have a more stock stance. However, in a previous thread you stated that, "Here is a pic of mine(Corvette) when I had the one inch lowering coils installed". I think your '62 is GREAT but how can you have a more stock stance if you admit you lowered the front end by one inch??
Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

When I got the car it was on coils that were so high it rode on the bump stops, as shown in the first pic I posted.
I then had a set of one inch lowering coils on it, but went to stock height coils after that.
It looked 'kinda cool on the low coils, but the roads are crappy up here, and I wanted stock height to have it judged.

Here is a pic of it on the 1" lowering coils, the fender lip was about dead even with the top of he repo bias ply.

Paul

Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
When I got the car it was on coils that were so high it rode on the bump stops, as shown in the first pic I posted.
I then had a set of one inch lowering coils on it, but went to stock height coils after that.
It looked 'kinda cool on the low coils, but the roads are crappy up here, and I wanted stock height to have it judged.

Here is a pic of it on the 1" lowering coils, the fender lip was about dead even with the top of he repo bias ply.

Paul

Paul:

Anyway you look at your car that is one beautiful '62!!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette-62
Paul:

Anyway you look at your car that is one beautiful '62!!
Thank you my friend, now we need some pics of yours!

Paul
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

I have five leaf springs, a little bumpy but as you add more weight things get better, also sofening up the rear tire pressures helps also. If you do the rears only, you will get big oversteer!, new radials helped that but its still loose but ok for me, points and turns in nice. My old original springs were just plain worn out and always bottoming out, wrapping up etc, sometimes I wish for new four leaf springs to get a slightly better ride and more neutral handling
Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Here's a pic of mine after I replaced the front coils, I think the stance is about right for a stock '62.

Paul

Paul that's a bloody nice photo ! Oh and bloody nice car. Stewy
Old 03-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
This is mine, on all original relatively low mileage springs. I believe it to be accurate.

Jeff that's a nice ride height and wonderful 62 ! Stewy
Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

After looking through the old photos I have they all seem to sit a little high at the front. I personally don't like a high front on any car but they all look a little higher at the front ? Stewy
Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
After looking through the old photos I have they all seem to sit a little high at the front. I personally don't like a high front on any car but they all look a little higher at the front ? Stewy

they were all that way, the springs are pretty soft, for a nice ride, then you pile some stuff in the car and they sag some more. Also with the soft rear spring arrangement the factory made absolutely sure that the car will understeer. Unless you are consiously trying to kick the tail out with the throttle, aka drifting! Under steer is safe and will make the car better for the average dumb driver who gets in over their head. Present company excepted.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

I have noticed over the years the GM advertised car they used for marketing purposes is always lower that the factory cars photos ? Stewy
Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 PM
jbooya
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious if anyone has thought to measure the differential height of the front end of the rocker and the rear end of the rocker from the ground. Seems like that would be a good way to measure the relative stance of the body to the ground, irrespective of tire profile. Any thoughts?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
I have noticed over the years the GM advertised car they used for marketing purposes is always lower that the factory cars photos ? Stewy
My group from the Chevrolet Pilot Line assisted Chevrolet Show & Display with setup at the Detroit Auto Show back in those days (we also painted most of the parts they used in cutaway displays); all of the auto show cars were tied down to the platforms with ratchet straps hidden behind the tires, which were pulled down from normal ride height until the Styling guys said they "looked good".
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Coming in a little late on this....my 58 is at standard ride height and has four leaf rear springs. The rear has always been a little bit lower than front.
I switched from my wide whites to six inch wide Halibrands with a 6.70/7.10 equivilant tire..when fully loaded with passenger and trunk full of "stuff" my tires would rub ever so slightly when going over a bump.
I was real reluctant in putting on a pair of air shocks but did. I have not had any problems at all ( I had asked this on the forum previously and had no negatives) with rubbing (20lbs air) and the car rides and handles very well.

Take a look at the red 62 next to mine in the first photo...his was stock ride height. Seems to be a little high in front??

I really like the way the car "sits" with the little bit of rear lift the air shocks give it. JMO....
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Myred62
Advanced

Originally Posted by vettefred
Coming in a little late on this....my 58 is at standard ride height and has four leaf rear springs. The rear has always been a little bit lower than front.
I switched from my wide whites to six inch wide Halibrands with a 6.70/7.10 equivilant tire..when fully loaded with passenger and trunk full of "stuff" my tires would rub ever so slightly when going over a bump.
I was real reluctant in putting on a pair of air shocks but did. I have not had any problems at all ( I had asked this on the forum previously and had no negatives) with rubbing (20lbs air) and the car rides and handles very well.

Take a look at the red 62 next to mine in the first photo...his was stock ride height. Seems to be a little high in front??

I really like the way the car "sits" with the little bit of rear lift the air shocks give it. JMO....
I had a 58 Same color, my favorite Color, Very Nice car and good looking stance...The rear tires looks to fill the well very nicely, also nice selection on wheels...The rocker panels look to be slightly lower in front. Where as the 62 rocker looks lower but the car has a slight appearance of having a higher front stance..I think the rear wheel openings has something to do with this look..The 62 is not a dominant half circle opening as the 58. The 62 has more of a flat looking opening on the top opening.

I don't think one can measure the top of the wheel openings, from the ground to determine which end is higher or lower..I am going to measure my 62 by putting a straight edge level with rocker panel and measure up to see what the difference is between the two. My car has a slightly raised front look..not what I like..I am like you really don't want to put air shocks on, but after looking at your 58, might have changed my mind...

Thanks and enjoy your car...

LDA
Old 07-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Apologies to the Fawn folks -- purely personal preference but I just can not "get next to" that color for some reason. Had my car on 61retro's lift recently and he pointed out I had 3-leaf springs on the '61 (not the original 4-leaf). Car sits fine and rides nice but I'm considering replacing those. I am grossed out by the price on original springs (with the groove) so I may sit tight until a bargain comes along for original springs that I can rearch.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Apologies to the Fawn folks -- purely personal preference but I just can not "get next to" that color for some reason. Had my car on 61retro's lift recently and he pointed out I had 3-leaf springs on the '61 (not the original 4-leaf). Car sits fine and rides nice but I'm considering replacing those. I am grossed out by the price on original springs (with the groove) so I may sit tight until a bargain comes along for original springs that I can rearch.
I have an extra sets for 61 I think. THese are wavy though useable for rearching.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 AM
rgwinn
4th Gear

Here is a picture of my '62

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end Height of 1962

Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
I have an extra sets for 61 I think. THese are wavy though useable for rearching.
You can email me pics and price info if you think you want to get rid of them... "fdreano@earthlink.net".

Thanks in advance !
Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

as usual, late to the party......

28.5 up front and 27.0 in the rear on 215-65R`s....whatever that means with a low mileage OE suspension......

Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 PM
61redvet
Cruising

Default How high is your vet

I had always heard that 58 to 62 had a stability issue at top end because the nose was to high I droped mine 2" and it is noticeably more stable at higher speeds now. but as you can see its not a numbers car.

Last edited by 61redvet; 07-12-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end Height of 1962