C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

ARP flywheel bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Default ARP flywheel bolts

I am about to use ARP flywheel bolts. They did not come with star washers. Do I need them? I am using an aluminum flywheel.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
I am about to use ARP flywheel bolts. They did not come with star washers. Do I need them? I am using an aluminum flywheel.

You don't need and I'd specifically recommend against star washers with an aluminum flywheel. They will bite into the aluminum and, potentially, chew it up.

What I do recommend is some kind of hardened washer under the bolt heads, though. Even the smooth underhead area of the ARP bolts will wear the aluminum somewhat. A thin (.032) AN washer would work.

And as long as I'm recommending stuff.... be sure to follow the ARP guidelines to "break in" the bolt threads by torquing and releasing the bolts 4 or 5 times each prior to final torquing and use some ARP lubricant on the threads.

Jim
Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
You don't need and I'd specifically recommend against star washers with an aluminum flywheel. They will bite into the aluminum and, potentially, chew it up.

What I do recommend is some kind of hardened washer under the bolt heads, though. Even the smooth underhead area of the ARP bolts will wear the aluminum somewhat. A thin (.032) AN washer would work.

And as long as I'm recommending stuff.... be sure to follow the ARP guidelines to "break in" the bolt threads by torquing and releasing the bolts 4 or 5 times each prior to final torquing and use some ARP lubricant on the threads.

Jim
Thanks Jim. ARP has all kinds of warnings about using washers. I just opened the package.

They say if you use their assembly lube, to torque to 60ft lbs.Using 30wt oil the torque would be 80ft lbs.
They don't mention torquing and releasing. But it sounds like a good idea.

They made no mention of steel vs. aluminum.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

The ARP flywheel bolts used to have instructions to chamfer the bolt hole on the flywheel. Do they still call that out?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Thanks Jim. ARP has all kinds of warnings about using washers. I just opened the package.

They say if you use their assembly lube, to torque to 60ft lbs.Using 30wt oil the torque would be 80ft lbs.
They don't mention torquing and releasing. But it sounds like a good idea.

They made no mention of steel vs. aluminum.

The notion that you should torque and release a new fastener several times is a little hard to find in ARP's technical literature. Here is an excerpt from their web page that mentions it:

friction is at its highest point when a new fastener is first tightened. This "friction" inhibits the fasteners ability to achieve the required preload on the first several cycles. In fact, ARP's in-house Research and Development department has proven that new fasteners using motor oil and other commonly used lubricants such as Moly and EPL typically require 5-7 cycles before final torquing to level out the initial friction and achieve the required preload.
Regarding aluminum flywheels.... I went through this when I installed an aluminum flywheel on my bride's Grand Sport. After one torque cycle, the bolts had significantly deformed the aluminum under the bolt head.

I discussed this with people at ARP and with RAM, which made the flywheel. Both sides agreed that washers were a Real Good Idea. The odd thing was that ARP didn't offer a washer and long-bolt combination specifically for use with aluminum. The use of a thin AN washer was my solution.

Scott, as far as chamfering the bolt hole.... I'm sure it's a good idea. And after one washerless torque cycle with an aluminum flywheel, it has become "self chamfering", so to speak.

Jim
Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
The ARP flywheel bolts used to have instructions to chamfer the bolt hole on the flywheel. Do they still call that out?

Ya and thats where I jumped off and went with my chevy bolts! Motors back in the car!!

Get notified of new replies

To ARP flywheel bolts

Quick Reply: ARP flywheel bolts