C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011

Old 04-02-2011, 03:44 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

*****UPDATE*****

To All:

I just got a couple more boxes of MAI Grand Sport Parts. It's like Christmas in April.

Thought I would post a few pictures and show you all know what all has arrived.

One of the first things I unpacked were the Polished Door handles and matching locks. I'm sorry the pictures are so crummy, the pieces are very well made and like door jewelry.

I also received the Front Headlight Covers. The plexiglass covers and the rear window are on back order at the moment.

Most if not all of the hoods accessories were included. The left and right, male/female hinges, Hood inside cable, the under hood cable, the sleeves that route the cable under the hood.

It appears that due to upload constraints, I will need to make a couple of post. Anyway here are the handles.

Ty
Attached Images    
Old 04-02-2011, 03:48 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are a couple more of the items.

The head light covers, under hoods accessories, etc.
Attached Images     
Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Continuing:

Much of the Trunk hardware, hinges, locks, pedal extensions, parking light sockets and lenses, rear sockets and lenses, rear window gaskets, and trunk gaskets.

I'm really getting fired up about getting this on the road. From what I can tell, all of the parts Jeff is sending look first rate. He called me earlier this week telling me they were on their way, and a packing list was enclosed.

I'm going to get some more money to him so her can get the frame further along. So far he has been really nice to work with.

Anyway, again thanks for following the project and the encouragement. It is so unfortunate that this car was cancelled by GM.

These GS Corvettes really have an unmistakable appearance of strength and speed.

======================================== =========
Caution: Tangent Follows
======================================== =========
I find it ironic that GM is NOW endorsing the GS, with of all things the droopy front and rear ends. (No offense intended to the Superformance guys, but why fix something that is not broken from an appearance point of view? Sure its better at high speed, but isn't the exercise one of creating THE 1963 Grand Sport as it was designed? With the change in design, I really don't know how yours would be more authentic than one of the MAI cars) I know it has taken a hell of a lot of work to build your car, and I'm not trying to take anything away from that. Mine thoughts are just subjective regarding this, not to take anything away from your efforts. God know your team has a lot more talent than I do. In fact I hope to owe one of your GT40 MK1's in the next couple of years. That, God willing will be my next Big Car purchase, and I think Superformance efforts on it are spectacular.
======================================== ===========

I really do hope everyone who makes these cars/kits does well, and I hope in the future they can all compete against each other. The competition, and the exposure to the younger people is what's important right?

I would be totally shocked if GM would have had a hard time selling the hundred or so they were planning to build.

Anyway, here is a few more pictures.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Ty O'Neal

Thanks Jeff and MAI for making this experience a pleasurable one. I'm looking forward to the chassis shortly, I know it will be beauty,
Attached Images   

Last edited by tyoneal; 04-02-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Wanted to add another statement for clarity
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Looking good Ty. BTW, Horace has spent the better part of a week here with us on a project we're working on.
Pat Weismann has also been here with a transmission he designed for our project......which isn't related to Corvettes or racing.

Last edited by Mr. Wizzard; 04-02-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,996 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
One of the first things I unpacked were the Polished Door handles and matching locks. I'm sorry the pictures are so crummy, the pieces are very well made and like door jewelry.

Ty
Ty,

With my MAI car I found the small diameter pushrod attached to the push button did a poor job of aligning with and engaging the paddle on the latch. I ended up fabricating a "foot" with approximately 1/2" x 1/2" flat to solve the problem.

In the picture showing the tail and parking lamp lenses, there is a giant "fish hook" ..... what is that? If my car has anything like it, I've had brain fade and don't remember it.

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 04-02-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Ty,

With my MAI car I found the small diameter pushrod attached to the push button did a poor job of aligning with and engaging the paddle on the latch. I ended up fabricating a "foot" with approximately 1/2" x 1/2" flat to solve the problem.

In the picture showing the tail and parking lamp lenses, there is a giant "fish hook" ..... what is that? If my car has anything like it, I've had brain fade and don't remember it.

Jim
===================================
Jim:

Thanks for the tip on the door handle, I'll make sure and incorporate that modification while everything in apart.

The "Hook" that you see is actually a pair laid flat against each other. I believe these to be the "Petal Extensions" for the extended footwells.

I would be interested to know:

a) If you have them, and

b) How they work for you.

Jeff mentioned that me being 6'3 that I would be much more comfortable with the few extra inches that the extension, and extensions provide.

Since I have no direct experience with them that is all I know.

Thanks again for the tip on the door handles.

Take care,

Ty

BTW:
Did you build or purchase your GS already built?

How long has it been together?

Have you noticed anything other things over the period of your ownership, that are idiosyncrasies to these cars?

If anyone who has a MAI Grand Sport has something to add, please feel free to jump in.

Last edited by tyoneal; 04-03-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Hello:

I thought I would post some updates on the Grand Sport I'm getting built/putting together.

I know I have posted many questions researching everything I can so hopefully this would come off reasonably smoothly. Here are some of the things I have accumulated so far.

Starting Point

I have 1964 Coupe that had part of a MAI "KIT" put on it. It's in decent shape and I hope to use the parts off of it on another car. (see photos)

It has a NOS 350 putting out about 400 hp. A little bit of a lope healthy and very street able, Muncie 2.10, with 4.10 gears in rear

The Bird Cage is clean, and I believe it to be a decent foundation for the car.

It has a couple nice Kirkley Racing Seats, as well as the original seats that came with it. I'm not sure why he didn't finish it other than he got the look he wanted and that was all he was after at the time.

Anyway, more later.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Frisco, Texas
That is one set of seats in her for sure. Like the looks of the car...
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Jim:

Thanks for the tip on the door handle, I'll make sure and incorporate that modification while everything in apart.
I found a picture. The "foot" is larger than I remembered. Look at the brass paddle pushing against the latch paddle:

The "Hook" that you see is actually a pair laid flat against each other. I believe these to be the "Petal Extensions" for the extended footwells.

I would be interested to know:

a) If you have them, and

b) How they work for you.

Jeff mentioned that me being 6'3 that I would be much more comfortable with the few extra inches that the extension, and extensions provide.
Don't have'em, didn't know they existed, don't miss them.

My car is an older example, circa '93, so it might not have the same foot wells as yours. It does have stock, Sting Ray pedal arms.

Did you build or purchase your GS already built?
It was a bare body shell sitting on a rolling frame. From this, I made lots of modifications and built it up over a period of 16 months at which point it would move under its own power. I then put 1000 street miles on it sorting out all the systems.
How long has it been together?
It moved under its own power in the summer of Y2K.

First track event was approximately June 2001

Total of about 6500 miles to date, about 4700 track miles included in this total.

Have you noticed anything other things over the period of your ownership, that are idiosyncrasies to these cars?
Stock Sting Ray accel linkage doesn't fit.

Brake booster offset bracket is flimsy and wears rapidly.

Front coil overs are (in my opinion) inadequately secured to the lower control arms

Front suspension pick ups are downright agricultural.

Jeff becomes vague and evasive when asked direct questions about what does and does not fit his cars.

Front bump steer is probably awful (I've never checked, but I have strong suspicions).

Jeff's preferred seats (circa '81 Vette) don't fit without modification

Many aspects of the body have little relationship to historic accuracy.

So, no, no idiosyncrasies I can think of.

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 04-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I found a picture. The "foot" is larger than I remembered. Look at the brass paddle pushing against the latch paddle:

Jim:

This picture you posted is superb, thank you.

Don't have'em, didn't know they existed, don't miss them.

My car is an older example, circa '93, so it might not have the same foot wells as yours. It does have stock, Sting Ray pedal arms.

Would you mind me asking how tall you are?

It was a bare body shell sitting on a rolling frame. From this, I made lots of modifications and built it up over a period of 16 months at which point it would move under its own power. I then put 1000 street miles on it sorting out all the systems.

It moved under its own power in the summer of Y2K.

First track event was approximately June 2001

Total of about 6500 miles to date, about 4700 track miles included in this total.

Wow, it's great you have put so many track miles on the car. I imagine you have a real good idea of any small nuances/Short Comings of the car.

Using the "Drive by wire", technology should fix this, right?

What would you recommend to fix this problem? Did you just make another one that addressed it's short commings?

Front coil overs are (in my opinion) inadequately secured to the lower control arms.

Suggestions on a Fix? Maybe a re-engineered pocket and mounting plate? I've been looking at the Eckler's catalog for some pictures?

Could you elaborate a little on this? I have Kubota Tractor that is very welled Engineered all the way around. I wasn't sure how to interpret this. Were the Original pick ups a lot different, or is this compared to a modern Corvette, or a Vintage C2?

Jeff becomes vague and evasive when asked direct questions about what does and does not fit his cars.

Front bump steer is probably awful (I've never checked, but I have strong suspicions).

I have read somewhere that for this to be fixed correctly, a custom rack needs to be acquired. Would you agree?

Jeff's preferred seats (circa '81 Vette) don't fit without modification.

I spoke with him about the seats, and he mentioned that he was coming out with some that were much more representative of the originals, and was also going to be offering inner door panels that look closer to what the original ones did.

Many aspects of the body have little relationship to historic accuracy.

I'm sure this is correct. From what I have seen of the current offerings of all the suppliers, all of them vary a bit in many places. I kind of wonder how much the actual Grand Sports really vary from each other after all the modifications that the cars had done to them over the years they were being raced. The pictures I have seen show a bit of evolution to the cars, and a number of different parts altogether. (Hoods, Tops, Lighting etc.) Also, since they weren't a converted Corvette to begin with, but a entirely Custom car specifically made for racing, would this be a valid reason for these differences to be there?

I'm writing more in a conversational way, so a better understanding can be pondered. That said, with my experience, which is "0" hands on, I'm not trying to infer that I have any experience other than what I have read. I appreciate your contribution to these questions immensely.

So, no, no idiosyncrasies I can think of.

Jim
Thanks again for the input.

Best Regards,

Ty O'Neal
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Is that a Talbot 300 Senior mirror mounted high up on your driver door? I remember buying them for six or seven bucks each back in the '60s.

Today you have to go through a Lotus/Cooper guy in Whittier, California for about $250 each. Guess he figured out that most vintage racer guys have deep pockets!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

I just took another look at those pedal arms. How do you attach them to the pedal hanger bracket thingamabob? And how do you attach the pedals to the new arms?

And exactly how do they benefit you? Are they shorter, top to bottom? Shorter at the bottom of the "J" such that your leg is straighter at full pedal depression?

I'm missing something there.....

I'm 6' 1", a little shorter than you. I've never lacked for interior room in my car.

I imagine you have a real good idea of any small nuances/Short Comings of the car.
I'm not a Mark Donahue. I can't give you good analytical feedback on what a chassis is doing. I've just adapted well to what ever it is my car does.

Using the "Drive by wire", technology should fix this, right?
I guess so. I have no experience with such modern gadgetry.

What would you recommend to fix this problem? Did you just make another one that addressed it's short commings?
I kept the bracket, but added a second mount point at the hood ledge of the fender. I designed a new bell crank and an entirely different pivot mechanism.

I may have enough parts left over that I could modify yours, if it, too, is as poorly made as mine was.

Front coil overs are (in my opinion) inadequately secured to the lower control arms.
Suggestions on a Fix?
My coil overs were made by Aldan. I bought Aldan's lower mount piece and adapted it to the C4 control arms. That let me increase the size of the attaching bolts significantly.

Could you elaborate a little on this? I have Kubota Tractor that is very welled Engineered all the way around. I wasn't sure how to interpret this. Were the Original pick ups a lot different, or is this compared to a modern Corvette, or a Vintage C2?
And I'd bet your Kubota is so stout that you could run into stumps and no part of it would deflect. Same with Jeff's lower control arm mount, which bears no similarity to original GS mounts or to modern Corvette mounts or to original C2 mounts or, well, to anything in the known universe.

I looked at what he had crafted and immediately got out my rod saw and began removing metal. Probably shaved 3 or 4 lbs off the front end by the time I was done.

I have read somewhere that for this to be fixed correctly, a custom rack needs to be acquired. Would you agree?
Yep. And it has to be correctly located, not a trivial job.

Jim
Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sub006
Is that a Talbot 300 Senior mirror mounted high up on your driver door? I remember buying them for six or seven bucks each back in the '60s.

Today you have to go through a Lotus/Cooper guy in Whittier, California for about $250 each. Guess he figured out that most vintage racer guys have deep pockets!
To be honest, I haven't even really looked at it that much. I have a set of brand new Talbots I was going to run on my Camaro, but when I started this project I've just been tackling one thing after another. I've seen the ones posted high like the one that is already on there, and I have seen some that appear to have a longer "Stems" on them so the view can clear the quarter panel hump and brake ducts.

I figure I will work on it after everything gets worked out, and I have my final seating position in place.

It would be great if it is a Talbot, or if I can use the two I already have, however, when it comes to mirrors, I first want them to be real easy to use effectively. I have a "Blink" for the interior on track days.

Do any of you use a "Blink" Mirror on the street?

Thanks,

Ty
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

To Everyone:

What does the shop look like at Mid America, Inc? I've seen a fair numbers of pictures of the Mongoose Shop, and I was just wondering who all has visited MAI?

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts

You should see Mongoose's new shop. They recently moved into a former Chevrolet dealership.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:13 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizzard
You should see Mongoose's new shop. They recently moved into a former Chevrolet dealership.
=======================
Wow!

That sounds like it would be a perfect type building for their business. I don't have any idea how many cars they make a year, but at least the electrical, water and draining needs were probably already in place when they moved in.

Ty
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

To all:

Here are some additional parts that just arrived. These fiberglass parts deal primarily with the inside of the car. The polyester resin and the fiberglass cloth appears to make a decently rigid and strong part with just nothing for weight. (They are very light)

Anyway, here they are.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:31 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

To all:

Here are some additional parts that just arrived. These fiberglass parts deal primarily with the inside of the car. The polyester resin and the fiberglass cloth appears to make a decently rigid and strong part with just nothing for weight. (They are very light)

Anyway, here they are.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011

Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

A couple more. Sorry I'm not able to load any more than this.

Last edited by tyoneal; 04-09-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Ty on my MAI I had the option to try the J hooks but I did not see any advantage and they needed to be welded to the exiting arms. I am 6'1 and it was a very tight fit with my left leg up around the steering wheel when engaging the clutch, and I had aluminum racing seats 1/2 inch off the floor. I have sat in the MAI GS with the extended foot box but my knee would hit the dash. Stay with Jim and his ideas they are spot on. My new project a C3 clone of the 69 L88 certainly has more room so we will see. Keep the pics coming and good luck with your project.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Bill GS
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Hi guys, I have a configuration question.

Finally getting back to my GS. I have the ZZ383 engine with Webers installed and am redoing the fuel system similar to the GS (dual low pressure pumps). I also moved the tank inlet to the front pass side of the top of the tank to make it like the GS but also to remove the long inlet pipe that made it difficult to fast fill. I need to change the angle of the filler cap end which is a 2" dia. 95 Camaro piece going to a 2 1/2" tank inlet and will probably completely redo that area. I've made a tour of my local junk - er auto salvage yard and cannot find a larger - 2 1/2" gas cap assy.

Does anyone know how the GSs were fabricated? Logic says they used a "63 large diameter (4" ?) gas cap that was reduced to the tank inlet size> ????? Why would there be such a large cap cover???

Any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011