C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vstol
Ty on my MAI I had the option to try the J hooks but I did not see any advantage and they needed to be welded to the exiting arms. I am 6'1 and it was a very tight fit with my left leg up around the steering wheel when engaging the clutch, and I had aluminum racing seats 1/2 inch off the floor. I have sat in the MAI GS with the extended foot box but my knee would hit the dash. Stay with Jim and his ideas they are spot on. My new project a C3 clone of the 69 L88 certainly has more room so we will see. Keep the pics coming and good luck with your project.
===============================
Jeff mentioned your L88, C3 project. That is my second favorite model, it will look great when it is done. I hope you will post a bunch of pictures. How far along is he on your car? When would you expect it to be finished?

I will definitely use peoples past ideas and experience. There is so much knowledge on this forum its amazing.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Ty, here is the build site, Jeff should have the front ready to take his molds next week and the rear the following. Then from there to the frame where we will modify it some to accommodate a rear fuel cell,
2 inch drop in the floor brds and to have brackets for the bumpers if desired. Your build is looking good keep the pics coming
Kevin

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ica-kinda.html
Old 05-19-2011, 03:49 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Kevin:

Thanks for the update and encouragement. What paint schemes are you looking at for your car?

I just got a message from the person doing a rendering of my future GS. Unfortunately he has been covered up, but he hopes to have it ready fairly soon. I'm really looking forward to getting the rendering finished so I can visualize what the car should really look like.

Jeff mentioned my chassis is getting close and might be ready to ship as soon as next friday. (I hope!) As soon as I get some more pictures I'll certainly get them posted on here. I am dying to getting in the car and cruising around in it. That's been a dream for 31 years now. Pretty pitiful, huh?

As more time passes, the more I think the Gulf livery will be a blast to have on the car. I sure wish someone would make a Cross Ram EFI intake for a LS3 that wouldn't cost the farm. That would be so killer on the engine that going in it.

Anyway, more soon as I get it.

Please be sure and post many more pictures of your car. Between mine and yours, these are my all time favorites of the Corvette.

Take care,

Ty
Old 05-19-2011, 10:56 AM
ReadyEddie
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Grand Sport Madness

Ty:
I feel your emotion. My Wintersteen GS Roadster has been in the paint shop since mid February and may be ready by July or Aug. It is being redone by JB Corvette Specialties in Carrolton. John the owner has been working on C1, C2, and C3 for over 30 years. It is just him and his painter (been with him for 11 years). Just can't get in a hurry because he has a shop full of them that he is working on all at the same time.

At least I believe it is been done correctly. (Completely dismantled, stripped, re-fiberglased and repaired where needed, rejellcoated, etc.

I look forward to the day you and I, and Larry and maybe some of the other Grand Sport owners in the area can get together for a photo shoot and an oldfashion BS session. I had originally hoped to have it ready for the LSCC Classic this weekend at TMS, but now just hoping I will have it ready for Wichita Falls in September.

Good Luck on your build. Keep us posted.

Ed
Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ReadyEddie
Ty:
I feel your emotion. My Wintersteen GS Roadster has been in the paint shop since mid February and may be ready by July or Aug. It is being redone by JB Corvette Specialties in Carrolton. John the owner has been working on C1, C2, and C3 for over 30 years. It is just him and his painter (been with him for 11 years). Just can't get in a hurry because he has a shop full of them that he is working on all at the same time.

At least I believe it is been done correctly. (Completely dismantled, stripped, re-fiberglased and repaired where needed, rejellcoated, etc.

I look forward to the day you and I, and Larry and maybe some of the other Grand Sport owners in the area can get together for a photo shoot and an oldfashion BS session. I had originally hoped to have it ready for the LSCC Classic this weekend at TMS, but now just hoping I will have it ready for Wichita Falls in September.

Good Luck on your build. Keep us posted.

Ed
==========================
Ed:

Your on!

That sounds like a blast. Do you have any idea how many GS's are in the D/FW area? I think it would be serious fun to all cruise somewhere together, maybe to a Ford Car Show or something like that.

Truly awesome fun, and something THEY would talk about for some time. They need a GT40 to catch us, maybe?

Thanks for the post. Do you have a section for your car I can look at?

If so, please post a link, I'll drool for you incase you need a break.

Ty
Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Ty, not sure what color, keep your build pics coming
Kevin
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
ReadyEddie
Instructor

Default Wintersteen Grand Sport

Ty,

I do not have a website with pictures of my GS but I do have a number of pictures before and after the damage it sustained at the Russo Steele collector auction in Scottsdale, Arizona in January 2010. Here is a link if I do it right.http://www.russoandsteele.com/collec..._/42-6491.html

There are other pictures of the car after the damage on other Russo Steele Damage websites.

I purchased the car from the owner in California in the damaged condition last June. A friend of mine and I drove all the way to LA and towed it on a trailer back to Dallas. It is DD #021 and was mechanically solid with only cosmetic damage.(broken windshield, mirrors, hood, door handles and numerous body dings.)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 PM
ReadyEddie
Instructor

Ty,

In response to your question of how many GS in the DFW area, I know of only a few. I met the guy with the white Chapperel GS that pictures have been floating around. He won Best of Show at our LSCC Classic in 2008 and at the Cowtown Corvette show. He is from LakeWorth or Eaglemountain Lake. Also, the red coupe owned by a Garrett that pictures have been shown is from Dallas. There are also a GS from Wichita Falls I see at TMS and the silver & black coupe was advertised by Crown Motors in Dallas about 2 years ago. Other than Larry's those are the only ones I know of. With the total numbers I don't think you will see that many on the street. I have not even seen one at Cars&Coffee in Plano.

Ed
Old 05-21-2011, 02:25 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ty, not sure what color, keep your build pics coming
Kevin
=============================
Kevin:

I'm hoping to have my Rendering finished before to long. It should be able to give a decent presentation of the finished project.

I'm going to be going with the Traditional Gulf Livery. (Triumph Power Blue, with Orange)

I've always loved those combinations, and I think they would look terrific on s GS.

Ty
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
=============================
Kevin:

I'm hoping to have my Rendering finished before to long. It should be able to give a decent presentation of the finished project.

I'm going to be going with the Traditional Gulf Livery. (Triumph Power Blue, with Orange)

I've always loved those combinations, and I think they would look terrific on s GS.

Ty
It will look fantastic!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:57 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Ty that should look great
Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

To everyone watching this thread:

Many of you have already seen this, and somewhere on the forum I have posted these. Since the conversation is on the Livery of my project, I thought I would post some general reference images. These are not very accurate, however I think you will get the idea.

As soon as my official Rendering is finished I'll get it posted up on this site.

Anyway, enjoy.

Thanks,

Ty

The wheels will sport the Gulf Orange Color, the Lip will be Brush Aluminum to match the Ceramic coated side mount headers.

The Red Horse Shoes will not be there. Was thinking about adding the words, "Grand Sport" in the Darker Blue color that separates the orange from the powder blue, maybe across the very bottom. Perhaps between the leading edge of the door and the trailing edge of the wheel well.

I don't want to "Crap" the car up so maybe nothing will be added.

No, "Autolite" will NOT be on the car, incase your wondering.

Should the side pipes be "Gulf Orange" as well? My thoughts are that they will probably not stay the right color, (Heat) and the Polished Ceramic I think would look good.

Thoughts?

The Mirrors will probably be brushed aluminum as well.

BTW: the orange color in these pictures is way to "GOLD colored" and will be corrected.

BTW: The Gentleman at the Vintage Sicker site was nice enough to provide these pictures. He will get the business for my car.
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Ty looking fwd to seeing this when its done. Who is doing the rendering, that would be helpful for my project.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ty looking fwd to seeing this when its done. Who is doing the rendering, that would be helpful for my project.
=========================

Vstol:

I have used this guy for several cars I've done/working on:

http://www.hermancedesign.com/

He's well established and has been used by large companies as well. I know GM and Ford has contracted work from him. You can check out his website with some of his drawings.

Here are three he has done for me. He also executed some line drawings for me to work off of so I could work on different aspects of my car before the final rendering was done. The line drawing saved some money instead of altering the actual rendering each time.

See what you think, and give me your thoughts and/or critique. I am ALWAYS trying to learn better ways of doing things with better efficiency.

Since these cars usually become quite expensive to build/design, I found that seeing exactly where your project was going from the start, helps me save money in not having to redo things after the fact.

The 1965 Riviera is just about complete save for just a few minor touches. I'll add a picture of the car as it is now AFTER the reconditioning/Refurbishment, and how close things actually turned out.

The 1962 Triumph I bought for my wife. I should have it in real nice shape in 4-6 weeks.

Finally the '69 Camaro I have been working on for quite a while. It was the car that I had line drawings made for. Since I am wanting a real performance oriented build, I needed to work out a lot of aerodynamic problems that are inherent in these older cars.

Given the studies I have seen, and for the purposes I am building the car to hopefully cope with. I think I'm headed in the right direction. This project however will still need a few tweaks before I get down to cutting and welding.

Hope this helps,

Take care,

Ty O'Neal
Attached Images      
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Ty they pics are awesome and the 69 is unbelievable!!
I will look into it , thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ty they pics are awesome and the 69 is unbelievable!!
I will look into it , thanks
==============================

Vstol:

Thanks for the compliments.

Ben has been a nice guy to work with, he know that this GS will be a bit different than what is normally seen. (For Better or Worse ;-))

The guy I am hiring to actually help me get the frame moved over to the GS C4 suspension, and do the paint, has built a ton of different corvettes, but this is his first GS, and his first "Gulf " Corvette.

My 30th class reunion is later this year. While probably in poor taste to drive it to the event, once I have it finished, I think it will be hard to pry my butt out of the front seat.

Oh well, we all have our cross to bear. ;-)

Take care,

Ty

BTW: I'm trying to get some additional pictures organized to I can make another update, so it shouldn't be too long for more.

I really think it is cool that people on this forum get excited, and help support and encourage each other as they are trying to put their "Dream Cars" together. You can't find that just anywhere you look.

It really sucks to be around folks that always have a **** comments to say about everything you are trying to do.

I have never figured out why people can't just be happy for someone else's work and/or accomplishment. When I bought my Porsche years ago, I remember having a "Friend" come over and just cut the car all to ribbons for nothing. It didn't bother me any because I couldn't care less what he thought, other than I thought it was sad some people felt they had to crap on something someone had saved for and was proud of.

Oh well enough of this tangent, Sorry.

Take care,

Ty
Old 06-09-2011, 05:49 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello again:

Here are some of the latest photo's of the Grand Sport Chassis, it should be able to ship in the near future.

I had the Frame powder coated in silver so dirt, oil etc. could easily be seen if I had acquired a leak or worse. I think it will look nice under the Powder Blue and Orange body. I went ahead with the Newman rear, I believe it was Jim who had one put under his Mongoose GS and he liked it a lot. The Dana 44's "supposedly" are not quite as strong.=, and the LS3 will be putting out over 600 horses. The rear end carries a 4.1:1 Ring and pinion, and a tru-trac posi.

The Chassis IS narrowed, and should allow a nice dish with the PR Engineering wheels that will eventually be bolted to this. I am also having the Rollover bar attachment point put on, and the mid mounted fuel tank. Most every option I could get, I ordered.

I cannot wait to get my fanny into this car and get rolling.

Anyway, I hope you like these. Any questions or comments are welcomed.

Thanks again for sharing this project with me.

Take care,

Ty O'Neal
Attached Images     

Get notified of new replies

To MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011

Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 AM
ReadyEddie
Instructor

Ty,
Looks like your GS Project is progressing nicely. When do you anticipate they will get it put together? I notice you must not get much sleep with anticipation based on the times of some of your post.

I checked on mine yesterday and it is now in jelcoat. Will be block sanded then another light coat of jelcoat, block sanded again, primer and paint. Shouldn't be too long now.

Ed
Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Ty looks great, email sent
Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ReadyEddie
Ty,
Looks like your GS Project is progressing nicely. When do you anticipate they will get it put together? I notice you must not get much sleep with anticipation based on the times of some of your post.

I checked on mine yesterday and it is now in jelcoat. Will be block sanded then another light coat of jelcoat, block sanded again, primer and paint. Shouldn't be too long now.

Ed
==============================
Ed:

Thanks for the compliment. I'm hoping to have it maybe late next week or the week after. It IS getting close, thank goodness and yes I can't wait!

I have had a lot going on with my family that has caused me to be up at all hours trying to handle, or just mentally working on, or worrying about. This hobby has been a very therapeutic activity for me by allowing me to "Escape" from some tough issues.

Late at night is quiet and a time I've used to try and collect myself, so my "Cork doesn't Pop", so to speak.

I am enjoying watching yours and other cars come together. The feeling of the excitement, and the L-O-N-G wait reminds me of being a kid when Christmas is about two weeks away. It's agonizing, yet exciting. It is one of the only things as an adult that always gives me the anticipation of a child. I wish there were other things that would be illicit similar emotions or feelings of the past.

Do you have a pretty decent "Shop" at your house? Do you paint you own cars also?

It sounds like this isn't your first Corvette to be intimately involved with. (Yes, I have some envy.)

Thanks again for writing.

Ty O'Neal

Quick Reply: MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011