C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Remote Trunk Release?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Airetime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 Remote Trunk Release?

I have had a Halon Fire extinguisher for awhile now and it is time to install it but because it is not the really small type that usually is used it just doesn't look right in the cockpit. So it has to be installed in the trunk, actually I am using a Drake extinguisher holder/release just inside the trunk behind the trunk latch All that is great BUT as you know I still have to use a key to pop the trunk and in case of a fire, I don't want to stand there watching things go up in flames if I don't have the key

My Question? Has anyone installed a remote cable and hooked it up to the trunk latch? If so can I tap your knowledge??
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Use an electric trunk opener solenoid from any 80's GM G body. Preload trunk lid with small spring (like on 62 vette). Yellow button and wiring could be placed anywhere inconspicuously.

Fred
Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 PM
TroyPyles
Pro

My Jaguar XKE had a cable operated trunk release. A chrome handle was located behind the passenger seat. Perhaps that set up could be adapted.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Don't know if I want a gas tank between me and my fire extinguisher...or some cobbled together aftermarket mechanism to get to it. Get a smaller extinguisher.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Airetime
Advanced

Default Small Fire Extinguisher

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Don't know if I want a gas tank between me and my fire extinguisher...or some cobbled together aftermarket mechanism to get to it. Get a smaller extinguisher.
Thanks for the suggestion but have you ever had to use a small one? They are a pretty much a one blast unit. Like HP/Torque, I'd rather have more than enough than not enough!

Last edited by Airetime; 03-24-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Airetime
Thanks for the suggestion but have you ever had to use a small one? They are a pretty much a one blast unit. Like HP/Torque, I'd rather have more than enough than not enough!

That reminds me of a race at Moroso one weekend. I was working Turn 9 with some friends and this guy in an old circle track car he converted to road racing caught fire going past us into 10. Turn 10 responded, signaled for help, and three of us from 9 responded when they couldn't get it out.

We went through 10 regular bottles (not something small like you have in a car) before the fire truck was able to pull through the paddock to get there.

This was an engine fire on a metal car. You really don't want to see a plastic car burn.

Frankie, that little bottle in the glove box is best used to put out that cigarette that fell on the floor or if the air cleaner catches fire when the carb backfires. Anything else, you will have better luck ripping your jacket or shirt off and smothering it.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing

This was an engine fire on a metal car. You really don't want to see a plastic car burn.

Frankie, that little bottle in the glove box is best used to put out that cigarette that fell on the floor or if the air cleaner catches fire when the carb backfires. Anything else, you will have better luck ripping your jacket or shirt off and smothering it.
yep it's a sad sight....

i now carry a BIG fire extinguisher in the trunk.

Bill

btw: i had had the same thought about adding a remote trunk release for the very same reason
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM
62Guy
Instructor

On my first 62 the previous owner mounted a cable with a pull button in the glove box to the trunk release. Worked great, which was a good thing cause the key never worked in the trunk lock.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

In the time it takes you to: a) remember you have a "big" extinguisher in the trunk, b) mistakenly run back towards the trunk with the key because in the excitement you forgot about the hidden trunk release, then, c) run BACK to the cockpit release the trunk and get the extinguisher....I'll have doused any fire I care to tackle with my little guy 1 second and 1 click from my right hand. Anything bigger than that and its an insurance claim IMO.

Anyway, I've put out one engine fire on the car already with an A/B/C extinguisher the same size....and had to clean up the engine for a whole day afterwards.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

lol...

Frank, if you run back with the key; then you don't need the button....

i have a small spray carbon tet extingisher in my console box (suitable for a kitchen fire), but neither mine or yours might not have saved my front end from what was a gasoline fire; a BIG A/B/C probably would have and i'd have gratefully cleaned up the mess (and i would have had all the time in the world to open the trunk)... so, i stood by and watched it burn; the only thing that kept it from being a complete loss was the the top was up and the windows were up and so the fire essentially snuffed itself out.

the fire was so hot that the upper a-frames just folded over...

Bill
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by wmf62
lol...

Frank, if you run back with the key; then you don't need the button....

Bill
I was on the streets of Washington DC when the plane hit the Pentagon -- you should just see what people do in the face of a disaster...

FTF
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Airetime
Advanced

Default If'n you gots da key in yer hand, use it?!

In the time it takes you to: a) remember you have a "big" extinguisher in the trunk, b) mistakenly run back towards the trunk with the key because in the excitement you forgot about the hidden trunk release, then, c) run BACK to the cockpit release the trunk and get the extinguisher....I'll have doused any fire I care to tackle with my little guy 1 second and 1 click from my right hand. Anything bigger than that and its an insurance claim IMO.

Anyway, I've put out one engine fire on the car already with an A/B/C extinguisher the same size....and had to clean up the engine for a whole day afterwards.
"IF" I had a key in hand, I don't need to use the cable release. This is kind of like saying don't lock your door because it's inside and you might not have the key with you. Frankie if you can put out that fire in 8-10 seconds, good for you, but what if you run out and the fire isn't out?

I will say that at least you have a extinguisher in your car, I can't tell you how many don't. It is pretty sad to see someone about to open a smoking hood without one. I have owned my Corvette longer than most and it can't be replaced. Carry what you want but give me a decent size Halon anyday!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Frankie if you can put out that fire in 8-10 seconds, good for you, but what if you run out and the fire isn't out?
I'd estimate 15-20 seconds to put out my engine fire...that includes trying to throw an old flannel shirt on the burning manifold (totally useless gesture)...then getting the fire extinguisher and it wasn't more than 2-3 squirts and the fire was out. Any longer than that and it would have been 9-1-1 time and clear out for the experts to go to work. I'm not dying or even getting 2nd or 3rd degree burns over a machine...no matter how nice.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Airetime
Advanced

Default From your pic of your little extinguisher...

I'd estimate 15-20 seconds to put out my engine fire...that includes trying to throw an old flannel shirt on the burning manifold (totally useless gesture)...then getting the fire extinguisher and it wasn't more than 2-3 squirts and the fire was out. Any longer than that and it would have been 9-1-1 time and clear out for the experts to go to work. I'm not dying or even getting 2nd or 3rd degree burns over a machine...no matter how nice.
From the pic of your fire extinguisher, it appears to be a Halon, if so the discharge rate is about 8-10 seconds so it must have taken you 5 to 10 seconds to throw and remove the "flamable" flannel shirt (why did you do that?) :o You can usually blow out a carb fire due to a backfire.

Oh well, as I said before and I ending this discussion with "I'd rather have more than enough rather than not enough! HP, Torque and fire extinguishers..

BTW, I have owned and held onto my 1959 Corvette for going on 42 years now. Cheers
Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

maybe this is the answer you are looking for:

Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

From the pic of your fire extinguisher, it appears to be a Halon, if so the discharge rate is about 8-10 seconds so it must have taken you 5 to 10 seconds to throw and remove the "flamable" flannel shirt (why did you do that?) :o You can usually blow out a carb fire due to a backfire.

Oh well, as I said before and I ending this discussion with "I'd rather have more than enough rather than not enough! HP, Torque and fire extinguishers..

BTW, I have owned and held onto my 1959 Corvette for going on 42 years now. Cheers
My fire occurred in my garage before I had the fire extinguisher in the car so I after the non-effective shirt deal I had to run across the garage and unlatch THAT extinguisher from the garage wall...sorta equivalent to getting one out of your trunk .. ya think ?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

My fire occurred in my garage before I had the fire extinguisher in the car so I after the non-effective shirt deal I had to run across the garage and unlatch THAT extinguisher from the garage wall...sorta equivalent to getting one out of your trunk .. ya think ?
bottom line... whatever you did worked... and saved the car AND the house...
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Remote Trunk Release?

Quick Reply: C1 Remote Trunk Release?