C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Title search

Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM
27roadster
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure the original tires went up in smoke pretty early the original owner used to take the car to the drag strip when it was new so i'm sure they didn't last long. Dad actually bought the car at the track. And before you ask the car has been restored but it was in the 80s but the numbers are all correct and it still has lacquer paint. He says if he doesn't sell it he going to drive it some to enjoy it. Thats why it has radial tires on it now.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You state that your Dad bought the car in 69. It's hard to believe that the original owner liked to burn it up at the track, but did not drive it much. Are you sure the odometer was not disconnected in it's early years? That's a common deception in those days. What years were the twenty in the museum? I'm not doubting your knowlege of the car, but it sounds too good to be true. I'm not surprised that potential buyers are skeptical. Can your Dad contact the original owner? As previously suggested, documentation from the museum would be most valuable.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by 27roadster
The next time i go out to my dads i will take some pics of the interior. The car looks like it was never set in. I hope to take a ride in the car before it goes.
I sent you a PM about purchasing the car. YOU SAY YOUR DAD WANTS TO SELL? Is it for sale?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the original tires went up in smoke pretty early the original owner used to take the car to the drag strip when it was new so i'm sure they didn't last long. Dad actually bought the car at the track. And before you ask the car has been restored but it was in the 80s but the numbers are all correct and it still has lacquer paint. He says if he doesn't sell it he going to drive it some to enjoy it. Thats why it has radial tires on it now.
I'm not trying to be a d--k but if all you say is true this is one heck of a find for the collector car world. A unmolested 65 396 coupe black over red with KO's and side pipes keeped for 42 yrs in a controlled enviorment with only 5500 mi, you and your dad need to get the car verified. Have the NCRS do a flight judging to get the car a pedigree.You have to understand if all you are saying is true we should be seeing this car in magazines soon, and rolling through BJ's at over 200k. My tire question may seem simplistic but a car with so few miles should have the correct spare. How is your documentation? Do you have the POP card, owners manual, window sticker, or any original paper work from the selling dealer? If all is true then this is a car for the big players.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My question is why was the car repainted? Doesn't that make it not really original anymore?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

I'm sorry I missed the 80's restoration part. Now its just a nice car with an intresting story, it is a good looking car in that pic.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Blue 396
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

27 Roadster,

Looks like a super nice L78 - if possible you may want to post pictures of VIN Plate and Trim Plate located under the glovebox. Also Red Leather or vinyl. If leather and original very rare. Black code AA was rare - only 1191 total built all motors coupes and verts - Red Leather should be code 408 - Red vinyl code 407

Several interested parties would like to know when it was built.

You and father really should have it judged at Bloomington this year and maybe at a NCRS Regional - as many stated this could really enhance the value.

Even with the repaint in the '80's if all checks out and none of the rare parts (carb, exhaust Manifolds, TI ignition) were lost during it's venture into drag racing and you have POP + any other documentation this car should approach $120K. Value will all depend on options and proving that they are original.

Blue
Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

Originally Posted by Blue 396
27 Roadster,

Looks like a super nice L78 - if possible you may want to post pictures of VIN Plate and Trim Plate located under the glovebox. Also Red Leather or vinyl. If leather and original very rare. Black code AA was rare - only 1191 total built all motors coupes and verts - Red Leather should be code 408 - Red vinyl code 407

Several interested parties would like to know when it was built.

You and father really should have it judged at Bloomington this year and maybe at a NCRS Regional - as many stated this could really enhance the value.

Even with the repaint in the '80's if all checks out and none of the rare parts (carb, exhaust Manifolds, TI ignition) were lost during it's venture into drag racing and you have POP + any other documentation this car should approach $120K. Value will all depend on options and proving that they are original.

Blue
Blue, with the way this post was going I was thinking about the bang this car would make in the NCRS. Then I read post 21, granted still a very desirable car but unmolested I could only imagine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Title search