C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

WCFB Carb Adjust

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM
oldchev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default WCFB Carb Adjust

In adjusting the Daul WCFB Carbs on this '56, I have had some tell me that I should not adjust the Idle Air By-pass screws just leave them turned all the way in and only adjust the idle mixture screws to achieve idle quality. What say you, is there an "old saws" way of doing it or should I "do it by the book".
Thanks,
Dave.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 AM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my stock 58 270 hp carbs it works best to start out with the idle air screws all out 1 1/2 turns. Then set the rpm's at the throttle linkage, I use both front and rear carbs evenly. Then go back to the air screws and adjust them one by one for best,strongest, hightest idle. You have to fiddle with it some.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchev
In adjusting the Daul WCFB Carbs on this '56, I have had some tell me that I should not adjust the Idle Air By-pass screws just leave them turned all the way in and only adjust the idle mixture screws to achieve idle quality. What say you, is there an "old saws" way of doing it or should I "do it by the book".
Thanks,
Dave.
Just sent you a PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS
On my stock 58 270 hp carbs it works best to start out with the idle air screws all out 1 1/2 turns. Then set the rpm's at the throttle linkage, I use both front and rear carbs evenly. Then go back to the air screws and adjust them one by one for best,strongest, hightest idle. You have to fiddle with it some.
'56 carbs were different - they had an idle air bypass system (with no idle speed screw) in addition to the idle mixture adjusting screws; dealers were supposed to convert all 56's to eliminate the air bypass system.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 PM
oldchev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default WCFB adjustments

Yeh, these '56 carbs have that idle air by-pass screw on the same side as the thottle levers down at the throttle body plate as well as the idle mixture adjusting screws in the front of each carb. In doing my reading it seemed to me to be a redundant system. Although in miniscule increments it might have some advantage. But knowing the social/cultural environs of most auto repair shops of the day i figured that the system would be by-passed or eliminated if it wasn't needed.
Thanks for the replies. It is always good to get other peoples opinions especially when you are working alone on some new things.

Dave.

Get notified of new replies

To WCFB Carb Adjust

Quick Reply: WCFB Carb Adjust