C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carb advice - 1966 - Stock 327

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Peninsula66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for explaining John!

I'm finding mixed responses regarding the results when doing a direct swap with an edelbrock 1406 / Holley street avenger. Can I expect both of these to be eligible replacements, or do I need to worry about fitting, clearance, etc..?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Your fuel line will need modification for the side inlet on the Edelbrock and you will need a different air filter base, possibly a "drop base" type due to the carb opening being larger. Not sure if differences exist with the Holley. Dennis
Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1850 Holley, and swap out the primary bowls. Fuel line works, and you only have to sweat the choke hook up
Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Here is one already restored

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holle...s#ht_598wt_956
Old 04-21-2011, 02:23 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
that is a very good price for that carb....jmo.....
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Hope this isn't OT but where can I get those plugs to plug the hot slot holes that John shows? Can they be installed without removing the intake? Thanks. Dave
Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Peninsula66
Heel & Toe

Thank you, everyone, for the great responses!

Got the carb off for a rebuild, hopefully it goes well!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by dkleather
Hope this isn't OT but where can I get those plugs to plug the hot slot holes that John shows? Can they be installed without removing the intake? Thanks. Dave
Depends on the casting. Some will accept 7/16" steel cup plugs, some have slightly larger holes and need to be tapped 1/4" NPT and use allen-head 1/4" NPT thread plugs.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Thank you, John. Great picture as always!! Dave
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
bergie44
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1966 327 275HP has a carter AVS that leaks and runs terribly the base is eaten away due a previous owner not putting the SS heat shield back on. I want to replace the Carter with an Edelbrock 1406 or
Edelbrock Thunder AVS series 1805. I have heard the 1805 is a closer match to the carter AVS that is currently on the car. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? Which fits better? Will the stock air cleaner fix either carb? I have seen some other posts that talk about the Edelbrook 1406 Replacement and they all refer to the hassle of dealing with the Electric choke. What hassle is there? Don't you just find a switched 12v source (like the windshield washer motor)?

What is the FelPro Part number for the SS Insulator that goes under the carburator? I have looked and looked and all I find is the Quadrajet one.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bergie44
My 1966 327 275HP has a carter AVS that leaks and runs terribly the base is eaten away due a previous owner not putting the SS heat shield back on. I want to replace the Carter with an Edelbrock 1406 or
Edelbrock Thunder AVS series 1805. I have heard the 1805 is a closer match to the carter AVS that is currently on the car. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? Which fits better? Will the stock air cleaner fix either carb? I have seen some other posts that talk about the Edelbrook 1406 Replacement and they all refer to the hassle of dealing with the Electric choke. What hassle is there? Don't you just find a switched 12v source (like the windshield washer motor)?

What is the FelPro Part number for the SS Insulator that goes under the carburator? I have looked and looked and all I find is the Quadrajet one.
Thanks
What intake manifold do you have? There was no 327/275hp in a Corvette.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM
bergie44
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manifold is a 3872783
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
fla-buckeye
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 7/16" plugs

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Depends on the casting. Some will accept 7/16" steel cup plugs, some have slightly larger holes and need to be tapped 1/4" NPT and use allen-head 1/4" NPT thread plugs.
John Z, I'm sure your probably tired of this subject, but, I must ask. Have a '64 300hp and will be removing the carb for a look see. Would like to have a couple plugs on hand if this hasn't been done, seems as though locating 7/16" plugs are kind of ellusive, any suggustions?

Also noticed that the insulated gasket is placed on the manifold, and base gasket is located where insulated should be, maybe this was their way of blocking off passeges? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fla-buckeye
John Z, I'm sure your probably tired of this subject, but, I must ask. Have a '64 300hp and will be removing the carb for a look see. Would like to have a couple plugs on hand if this hasn't been done, seems as though locating 7/16" plugs are kind of ellusive, any suggustions?

Also noticed that the insulated gasket is placed on the manifold, and base gasket is located where insulated should be, maybe this was their way of blocking off passeges? Any thoughts are appreciated.
a good hard wear store should have them.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by midyearvette
good advice, i always recommend the afb's over holleys , if there is no hood clearance issue....for competition though, holleys are infinitely more tuneable
for the street, you are eliminating about 18 potential fuel leaks by choosing the afb over the holley....jmo.....
Holly is always the better choice for competition/max performance. AFB's are far better street carbs, less risk of leaks & in most ways technically superior.

Dan
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fla-buckeye

Any good auto parts store that carries the Dorman line (all the orange drawers) should have whatever plug size you need; you won't know what you need until you pull the carb and measure the two holes in the carb pad on the intake.

From the manifold up, you should have gasket, insulator, stainless baffle, then carburetor; the gasket and insulator have the holes and slot, and the stainless baffle doesn't.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:26 PM
TeaEye
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for posting info! Yeah, I know its an old post..... I just sealed my two exhaust ports a few minutes ago.

I used the 7/16 steel cups. Dorman part number 555-002. My Carquest shop charged $.79 per plug plus tax. Saw a bunch online. was gonna buy two for $5.69 each. Would have been a mistake....10 in a bag! Can also try Amazon, EBay, Advanced Auto, etc.

At first it looked like the cap was way too big for the opening. Then I took a 7/16 drill bit to the port and surprisingly carbon started to come off the sides. While drilling had a vac inhaling the chips. Afterwards, I took a wire brush and did some more cleaning of the port. Then, the permetex, I used the liquid on the brush and persuaded the caps into the holes. Was a good tight fit!

Cheers!

Get notified of new replies

To Carb advice - 1966 - Stock 327

Old 02-11-2016, 06:57 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by 54greg
When It's over 80 outside and you turn off the car the engine heat vaporizes the gas in the float bowls. It's a little hard starting, really no big deal, what I hate is the gas smell. I have fought this for years. I'm positive that I have no leaks and my vented gas cap is operating fine. Cooler temps no issues, but I live I the desert
I use a phenolic spacer set with aluminum plates under the carburetor to keep the heat from the carb when you shut if off and when it is running. The quadajet people learned this years ago. Plug the heat passages if you are not driving it in cold weather, I do it at the heads, but you can do it at the intake. Also insulate the fuel line from the pump to the carb or put in a segment of rubber hose to help dissipate the heat.
Go to the Holley web site, they know 'their' carbs. You can send them a email and they will make a recommendation.
If you insist on changing to a different carb, the Eldebrock AFB, formally Carter, will provide better mileage and great street performance.
I'll make you a deal for the original Holley if you are going to get rid of it. I have a few (10 or 12) of both Holleys and AFBs I have ran over the years. I'm not real smart, but I have learned the hard way over the last 1/2 century and more.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:59 AM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info in this old thread! My 66 has been sitting for a couple years and does not run. Biggest problem is that when I do get it started and running it will stall as soon as I touch the gas pedal. The Accelerator pump is not squirting fuel. I'm assuming the entire thing is just gummed up from sitting for so long, but I'm looking at doing a carburetor replacement rather than rebuild the old one. It's already been rebuilt a couple times, and I don't have much patience! Would like to just bolt on something reliable that doesn't require much of a conversion regarding choke etc.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:32 PM
veeeight
Instructor

Two other things to consider. Both the 300 and 350hp use the same carburetor (3367), and both intake manifolds use a divorced choke with a manifold-mounted thermostatic control; if you block off the crossover passages from the heads to the intake, the choke won't work (and you'll have to gut or wire open the heat riser valve). Also, on the 300hp with the iron intake, the carb pad has a "hot-slot" that you'll need to plug at both ends so it doesn't heat up the carb so much and boil the fuel in the float bowls (you can plug the hot-slot holes and still maintain the automatic choke operation if you leave the crossover passages open - they only heat the bottom of the plenum floor, not the carburetor).
Could somebody tell me the reason why the hot slot was machined into the manifold and why only on the 300HP and not the 350HP. I have wondered about this as my 300HP has the original manifold with the hot slot.

Quick Reply: Carb advice - 1966 - Stock 327