C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Door Panel Fitment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Kelley
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts
AL Events Coordinator

Default Door Panel Fitment Problem

I have started to notice that my inner door panel is pulling away from the door ever so slightly on my ’66 coupe. I noticed it when the vent window molding was no longer wide enough to cover the gap between the vent and the outer door. I have a gap of about 3/8” between the vent window and the outer door panel on the driver’s side and no gap on the passenger’s side. I took the door panel off thinking something was loose and I could tighten it up and pull up the gap. Not so lucky, everything seems tight. Anyone have any clue how to tighten this area up. By the way, both pictures were made from the top of the vent window looking down at the door

This is the passenger's side where the vent window post meets the door panel. Notice no gap where the post meets the door panel

This is the driver's side where the vent window post meets the door panel. Notice the 3/8" gap where the post meets the door panel and the vent window molding has fallen into this gap
Old 05-07-2011, 03:38 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Here is what secures your vent assembly to the door. You might check the mounting stud at the far left in the pic. It could have broken,come unscrewed and simply needs adjustment. It is the only adjustable mount of the whole assembly. Good luck.

Jim

Old 05-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Kelley
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts
AL Events Coordinator

The vent window is pulling away because the inner panel is pulling away and the vent window mounts (mostly) to the inner panel. All the attachment points in your picture are tight. This is a fairly recent phenomenon that I just can’t figure out. I’ve got the door panel off and I hate to put it back on without fixing the problem. The panel seems to be bonded to the door with now way of adjusting it
Old 05-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

There are a number of aluminum rivets that are in the front area of the door primarily to hold the hinge structure but, if some are loose or missing maybe that could be allowing the inner portion of your door to in effect move apart from the outer side. These are pretty soft rivets. I know I was able to tighten up several and replace a couple of others when I did my resto a while back. Certainly worth checking while the door panel if off. Pilot Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Door Panel Fitment Problem

Quick Reply: Door Panel Fitment Problem