C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Promoting the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Promoting the hobby

Last weekend a lady came up to me in the park and asked if her son and his date could take a picture next to my car. He had on a tux and she had on a gown. They were out taking pics dressed up for the prom.

I told them they could sit in the car if they want, but they declined. Mom took some pics and they left. About a half hour later the woman came up to me again and asked if another couple could pose with the car. I agreed and they sat in the car for their pictures.

Today I was at the park again and 3 men and 3 women and their kids asked if they could take a picture with the car and I let each one sit in the seat with their kid on their lap and they took pics. One of the women told me the pictures would be sent back to Algeria.

I've been doing my part to promote the hobby and I get a kick out of how excited people get to sit behind the wheel and have their picture taken.

Just as a side note; the attention my car gets from all ages, genders and races, lets me know the C2 will never go out of favor. A beautiful car is a beautiful car...period.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, I try to do the same as well, particularly when parents have small children that are attracted to all the chrome and shiny bits. I offer the parents to let their kids sit in the car, take pictures, whatever. Anything we can do to promote the next generation.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

There are just too many people out there today that look at beige Camrys as the pinnacle of automotive design....simply because they really don't know any better.

Anything to raise public awareness of what is REALLY out there, especially among kids today, is an awesome thing. Good for you
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM
63 Roadster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's so refreshing to hear about other Vette owners (or any classic car) that aren't afraid to let people look and touch their cars. We are fortunate to own such a recognizable piece of automobile history.

Drive them, enjoy them...
Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

Yeah, I try to do the same as well, particularly when parents have small children that are attracted to all the chrome and shiny bits. I offer the parents to let their kids sit in the car, take pictures, whatever. Anything we can do to promote the next generation.
Jeff

Last fall I was at a show, this young couple with their two small children (a boy and a girl) were really looking at my '64 coupe. They would walk away, and then come back to the car. I asked if the kids wanted to sit in the car, and get their pcitures taken? Yes, we love your car, in they went with big smiles. When they went to leave, the wife came back to tell me her husband was upset he didn't get to sit in the car. Something I'll never forget, the look on those kids faces in that car.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 PM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Wife and I took the '66 to a small town ice cream shop this afternoon. Soon as we parked, young boy about 12-13 came over, soon after his Dad came over and we chatted.

We did the same thing, offered for the boy to sit in the car and his Dad took a picture of him sitting in the driver's side, behind the wheel, with his camera phone. Will be many days before the smile is off the boys face. Guessing all his buddies will see the picture too. Fun to share a piece of American Automotive History with car lovers.

Kevin
Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

A couple of summers ago I received a request from a mother who had a foriegn student living with their family. His name was Kristian. He was from Denmark and she wanted to know if I would give him a ride in my car. (She worked with a guy that knew I had the Corvette and he told her that I was easy to get along with and I would be more than happy to do that.) I told her that I would be happy to. They came over the next weekend and I took Kristian for a ride of approximately 20 miles, through the city and on the highway. We had a great time. He really appreciated it and fell in love with Corvettes. I found out later that he had taken the photos of himself with my car and then posted them on his Facebook page. Now photos of the car are spread in Denmark and possibly over Europe. It felt really good that I could satisfy the Kristian's wish.

Last edited by 66BlkBB; 05-08-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great story, nice to know there is still a lot of interest, in the hobby.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

I agree and always try to do the same.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

This is a great posting , like to hear people that don't mind people touching their Corvette for pic's. That is what happens to me many time and why I drive my 55 so often to show people how Corvette started .It's a great ice breaker to meet nice people at rest stops when traveling.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

We always let people get in the Vette for pix, gets a lot of smiles.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Add me to the list of offering "sittings". Marge and I stop at an ice cream parlor after dinner almost daily in the summer. We have as much fun watching the smiles as the kids do making them.

Joe
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Reminds of when I was kid and all the rage was sitting on an old covered wagon to get your picture taken. You know, I can't remember the last time I saw one.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I allow photo ops but with some restrictions....all the high heels, rhinestone encrusted purses and dangling metallic bracelets come off and then they can sit in the car and somebody can snap away.

My car will be at Disney for two days this weekend with oceans of young kids and we will see what my threshold is.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
My car will be at Disney for two days this weekend with oceans of young kids and we will see what my threshold is.
I'd go ahead and set up an appointment with 61Retro. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

As long as they don't have access to the car, you'll be fine. If they can walk up and touch it, no way would I put my car there. Most kids respect others stuff but there are alot that are monsters. I had a friend with a Cobra at a car show and some kid ran up and jumped on his sidepipe so he could get a better look inside. Scratched the crap out of the chrome. When he pointed out the damage to the parent they said "If you don't want your car touched, don't take it out in public" and then walked off like nothing had happened. They would have had to surgically remove my foot out of that persons azz.

Jim
Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 PM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother lives in Staffordshire, England. One day he was rolling down the Motorway with his 3 sons and a 65 Sting Ray went by. The boys went nuts, and wanted to know what kind of car it was. He told them, and then mentioned that I, their uncle had one, just like it. Then they really went nuts. When they came to visit, the middle boy, 16, and my namesake, asked if I would take a picture of him sitting in the car. I said no, but I would take a picture of him driving it. He is very much like me, a Gearhead, and a bit of a maniac. He had the time of his life, and I bet his buddies liked the pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To Promoting the hobby

Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting!

Maybe you should carry a little digital camera too... and take pictures of all the folks that take pictures of themselves in your car!

That'd be kind of neat.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the long list of folks on this thread, I encourage people to sit in my Corvette for a picture. I think it is as much fun for me as it is for them.
However, I can understand why some folks won't let anyone near their car. They have spotless cars with perfect paint and interiors. If mine were that way, I would not let anyone near it either.
Although I have to admit, I didn't have the money to buy an NCRS Corvette, but even if I did, I would rather have the "daily driver" that looks good at five feet, but has a lot of blemishes when you are six inches from the paint or interior. No one is going to damage my car by casually sitting in it.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Just yesterday I picked up a fellow forum member visiting from out of town in front of the Orlando Hilton in the '61 for lunch. The hotel staff parked me right outside the lobby and it turned into a photo session. With a nice looking foreign gal in the driver's seat with the husband doing the photos along with several passers-by also snapping pics.

Just comes with the turf with these cars.

Quick Reply: Promoting the hobby