C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What Is Your Favourite Piece of Memorabilia

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
John Mecom's phonebook that dates to the period when he was involved with the Grand Sports:

That is absolutely COOL!!!!!!

I met John Mecom Sr. when I was a kid. In the summer of 64, my father took me with him on a business trip to Texas. He had some business with Mecom, and we were invited to a BBQ, at one of the family ranches. It was only after we left that night, that my father told me that Mecom's son was the owner of the Mecom Racing Team.

I was pretty mad at my father for not saying something sooner, but as a 10 year old car nut and racing fan, he knew I would be a complete PIA, if I found out who we were visiting with.

It was a very large party, and I don't recall if John Jr. was there that night, and when I asked my father about it years later, he didn't remember either.

Thanks for posting that!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Some of the pictures below, I had previously posted in the "Die Casts & Collectibles" section.

The first couple pictures are of my "play room". The display cases are full of Corvette toys, promos, old books, racing collectibles, etc.

The red pedal car racer is a "Super Eight", made in the 50's by the British company, Tri-ang.

The coffee table is a Winston Cup Goodyear Eagle and wheel off the #90 Heilig-Meyers ,driven by Mike Wallace. The glass top on it is signed by Jeff Gordon and says the following on it; "To Glen, See you at the races. Jeff Gordon 24". It was an anniversary gift from my wife, around 1994. She wasn't real happy that he spelled my name wrong (I use 2 "N"s in my name), but I couldn't see where it was worth trying to send it back to be corrected.

On the left in the last picture, is a 1972 Sunoco poster used to promote Mark Donohue's 1972 Indianapolis 500 win. The painting on the lower right in the same picture, is an original oil painted by an amateur California artist of Mark Donohue's McLaren M6B, and signed by Donohue.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
I noticed you had two sets of drive in speakers you won't be needing 2 sets so send me one pair to Melbourne Australia ! Thanks Stewy
I got those from a guy who had bought a bankrupt drive-in theater; he planned to renovate it and re-open it, and bought 300 sets of new speakers. A few months later HE went bankrupt (before renovating the drive-in), and sold the speakers out of his garage from an ad in the paper.

I bought a couple of sets, mounted them on PVC pipe, painted the pipes silver, and mounted them on some old wheel covers, with the wires connected to jacks in the valve stem openings; they work!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Some of the pictures below, I had previously posted in the "Die Casts & Collectibles" section.

The first couple pictures are of my "play room". The display cases are full of Corvette toys, promos, old books, racing collectibles, etc.

The red pedal car racer is a "Super Eight", made in the 50's by the British company, Tri-ang.

The coffee table is a Winston Cup Goodyear Eagle and wheel off the #90 Heilig-Meyers ,driven by Mike Wallace. The glass top on it is signed by Jeff Gordon and says the following on it; "To Glen, See you at the races. Jeff Gordon 24". It was an anniversary gift from my wife, around 1994. She wasn't real happy that he spelled my name wrong (I use 2 "N"s in my name), but I couldn't see where it was worth trying to sendtcorreright in the same picture, is an original oil painted by an amateur California artist of Mark Donohue's McLaren M6B, and signed by Donohue.

[IMG]http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/gbvette62/My%20Collecti
on/DSC_7233.jpg[/IMG]

Inlove the good year tyre as a coffee table I'm not sure my wife would allow me one in the lounge room lol. Stewy
Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the Hurst shifter ball that survived the fire that burned the car in half... it now has a smokey brown patina...

Bill

Quick Reply: What Is Your Favourite Piece of Memorabilia