Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
rongold
CF Senior Member

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator KA2IIA
Default Starter Nose--Question for Tom Parsons.

Tom,

I saw your picture of the 2 starters in a previous post--one cast iron nose and the other an aluminum nose.(pic below)
Click the image to open in full size.

I have 3 cast iron nose starters for my car (67 435HP)--1 in the car and 2 spares. The C.I. nose in your picture has tunnels where the 2 mounting bolts go. All 3 noses I have, have 1 tunnel on the outer bolt and 2 loops for the inner bolt to go through. I own an auto repair shop also, and all of the 3560 (Lester #) starters my rebuilder has, have the nose with the 2 loops. I have seen a few of the noses like you have, but have been unable to get my hands on any. The lower loop has a habit of breaking off if you make the inner bolt too tight. I have even had one break using a torque wrench set to 30 FT/LBS before it even clicked. What were those full tunnel noses used on ???

RON
1967 427/435HP Convertible----Since 1974

Last edited by rongold; 05-11-2011 at 11:15 PM.
rongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
prestige6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongold View Post
Tom,

I saw your picture of the 2 starters in a previous post--one cast iron nose and the other an aluminum nose. I have 3 cast iron nose starters for my car (67 435HP)--1 in the car and 2 spares. The C.I. nose in your picture has tunnels where the 2 mounting bolts go. All 3 noses I have, have 1 tunnel on the inner bolt and 2 loops for the outer bolt to go through. I own an auto repair shop also, and all of the 3560 (Lester #) starters my rebuilder has, have the nose with the 2 loops. I have seen a few of the noses like you have, but have been unable to get my hands on one. The lower loop has a habit of breaking off if you make the outer bolt too tight. I have even had one break using a torque wrench set to 30 FT/LBS before it even clicked. What were those full tunnel noses used on ???

RON
If I'm not mistaken all big block starters have three bolt holes. last 4 digets should be 3365. Check this out.# 170634827223
prestige6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
rongold
CF Senior Member

Default Starter nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestige6 View Post
If I'm not mistaken all big block starters have three bolt holes. last 4 digits should be 3365. Check this out.# 170634827223
Hi Tom,

That's one I've never seen before. I've seen them with 3 full tunnel holes. I just added a picture to my post above. I have 3 starters with the nose above. I have seen ones like Tom Parsons posted a pic of, and I have also seen ones with 3 holes. The problem with the ones I have, is if you tighten the inner bolt too much, the lower loop breaks off, and then you have a useless nose.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 05-11-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
prestige6
CF Senior Member

Default B/B starter

look at tis one..300498899934
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
rongold
CF Senior Member

Default Starter nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestige6 View Post
look at tis one..300498899934
It's hard to see because it's so dirty, but that one looks a 3 holer with loops. I guess they made them in many configurations--loops, tunnels, & both. What does the one on your 66 look like ???

Last edited by rongold; 05-11-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
prestige6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongold View Post
It's hard to see because it's so dirty, but that one looks a 3 holer with loops. I guess they made them in many configurations--loops, tunnels, & both. What does the one on your 66 look like ???
Next time I bring it to work you can come look at it on the lift.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
DZAUTO
CF Senior Member

I don't do social media stuff I Don't do it I Don't do it I Don't do it I Don't do it I Don't do it

Well, I pulled up the picture that I posted and then looked at a couple of iron starter noses that I have. Two have the loop and the one complete starter that I have has the tunnel on the inside. I also have this type of starter on the Chevelle, but I don't know which nose it has.
Sooooooooooooo, I can't tell you where I got the one with the inside tunnel (but it MIGHT be a rebuilt starter I got from O'Reilly).
Sorry.

I just checked my pictures of the Chevelle engine. It has the starter nose with the loop as seen below.

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 05-12-2011 at 08:20 AM.
DZAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
Ironcross
CF Senior Member

The cast iron nose is a 427/396 starter,,,,here's where it gets strange, the 350 starter is the staggered aluminum nose but it also fits a 454 until the HEI ignition came out with a metric starter that physically looks the same but has a slightly restyled case and short switch with 2 posts instead of 3 and uses metric bolts...now the smaller permanent magnet also a staggered nose starter and another metric {sometimes called the GM mini } fits almost all of the engines...350 and 454......

The 327 engines use the same starter as a Buick and Caddie, straight across aluminum nose with a long and short bolt except a 1962 that's back to another cast iron nose....time for a
Ironcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Starter Nose--Question for Tom Parsons.

Tags
3560, 427, 67, cast, chevy, chevystartercastironnosethree, corvette, holes, iron, lester, long, nose, picture, starter, vette