C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1957 corvette radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Lurchguy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1957 corvette radiator

I am looking for a oem radiator for my vette but all I find is reproductions. Where can I find one? How much am I looking to pay for one? Is it better to just get the reproduction? Thanks

Last edited by Lurchguy; 06-06-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The brass repro is a piece of junk. The filler neck is positioned wrong and often interferes with the hood, the mounting holes are also in the wrong place, and it doesn't have the U-nuts needed to secure it. Unless it's been recently corrected/updated avoid it at all costs. This is the radiator that most vendors sell for about $400.

Your best bet is the "Direct Fit" aluminum radiator from DeWitts. The appearance is very close to original, so much so, that most people can't tell the difference. The top tank is stamped correctly, the filler neck is right, the mounting holes are where they belong, and if you order the black epoxy painted version, you can't tell that it's aluminum. List price is about $650.

The chances of finding a useable OEM one are pretty slim, but if you do find one, they can be re-cored.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Lurchguy
Cruising

I found one online and It looks like it is in good shape he wants 350 for it. Is that a good price or should I offer less?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurchguy
I found one online and It looks like it is in good shape he wants 350 for it. Is that a good price or should I offer less?
i got an original 59 radiator at carlisle last year for $100.00,,, works well, no leaks or rust,,,i figured that it needed to be re-cored,,, i wouldn't spend more than that for a used original...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurchguy
At the risk of sounding like a salesmen trying to sell you something, I would highly recommend you go with the the Direct Fit aluminum (black) as recommended. The stock OEM radiator uses a "cellular" type core which is the same thing they use to make heater cores. The performance of this type of radiator was just ok when new and down hill from there. I have an original copper/brass radiator that I recored with a tube type core, which will provide better cooling, and you can have that one for $350. Brand new
Old 05-24-2015, 02:59 PM
jpressick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
At the risk of sounding like a salesmen trying to sell you something, I would highly recommend you go with the the Direct Fit aluminum (black) as recommended. The stock OEM radiator uses a "cellular" type core which is the same thing they use to make heater cores. The performance of this type of radiator was just ok when new and down hill from there. I have an original copper/brass radiator that I recored with a tube type core, which will provide better cooling, and you can have that one for $350. Brand new
It looks as if my radiator on my 1957 Corvette may need to be replaced. While searching the web I came across your 4 year old thread. What, if anything, do you have for it? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 1957 corvette radiator

Quick Reply: 1957 corvette radiator