C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear exhaust panel to body

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Rear exhaust panel to body

I checked the AIM but didn't find:
Is there a 'middle' washer that goes in between the gap between the rear exhaust panel and the lower body side that the 1/4-20 bolt goes through? Seems there should be 'something'? . .
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Is there a 'middle' washer that goes in between the gap between the rear exhaust panel and the lower body side that the 1/4-20 bolt goes through? Seems there should be 'something'? . .
---No---
Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 348 Likes on 242 Posts

Yes; a U-shaped shim, (p/n 3762962) is shown on sheet F3, UPC 1 assembly in the AIM. This reference is for '66 model year.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Engineering released a shim to be placed between the lower quarter panel and the lower attachment of the exhaust panel to avoid cracking either panel while tightening the bolt if the gap was excessive, but I've never seen a car built with them ('64 Assembly Manual, UPC 1-Assembly, sheet C3.00, item #12).
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Engineering released a shim to be placed between the lower quarter panel and the lower attachment of the exhaust panel to avoid cracking either panel while tightening the bolt if the gap was excessive, but I've never seen a car built with them ('64 Assembly Manual, UPC 1-Assembly, sheet C3.00, item #12).
I haven't seen one either and I have worked on hundreds. In theory the bonding strip should have been placed so the gap was set with the fiberglass of the panel bolted together solid. I am sure sometimes theory and practice didn't meet.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Found it. .. Thanks vark and John for pointing out the page in the AIM.

Though shown in the AIM assembly drawing it's interesting that this particular shim appears to have been a 'no show' on many cars (or installed on very few).

On my car the left side lower body bonding strip had come partially unbonded in the bolt-through hole area. Don't know for sure if this was caused by the 1/4-20 bolt squeezing/stressing together the body and exhaust panel mounting flanges to close up an excessive gap, or otherwise. Thinking of going with a shim on both sides.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear exhaust panel to body

Quick Reply: Rear exhaust panel to body