C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Co$t of engine rebuild 1967 327/300

Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 AM
raweddle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Co$t of engine rebuild 1967 327/300

dear corvette experts. Babyblue (1967 trophy blue convertible) developed a 'rod knock'. My engine guy diagnosed a damaged rod bearing. He bored out the block and rebuilt the engine with new cam, high performance corvette parts including new pistons, also higher output oil pump and replaced steering box. It is running well with more power. My wife was very unhappy with the bill, $4750. I told her I would consult with experts whether this was excessive or not.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raweddle
dear corvette experts. Babyblue (1967 trophy blue convertible) developed a 'rod knock'. My engine guy diagnosed a damaged rod bearing. He bored out the block and rebuilt the engine with new cam, high performance corvette parts including new pistons, also higher output oil pump and replaced steering box. It is running well with more power. My wife was very unhappy with the bill, $4750. I told her I would consult with experts whether this was excessive or not.
It really depends on what exacly was done for machine work, Was it decked, line honed, crank turned, balanced, plate honed ETC? rod were resized I am sure new parts are not cheap either.

Did he pull the engine and put it in?? Most shops now are getting 70 to 100 dollars an hour!!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Are you afraid of your wife?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Post the parts list with prices and the list of services itemized, plus taxes and fees, doesnt sound outrageous assuming it a legal smegal outfit that did the work and not some guy in his garage (nothing against guys in the garages) . Who did the R and R? Plus the while you are at it stuff, like the WP hoses belts add up too.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Vetterway
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Steering Box

You said he replaced the steering box - how much was that?

My cost a couple of years ago for a complete rebuild of a BB was $3650. Of course many more $$$ before it was back into the car.

Vetterway
Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm not sure of the point of the exercise. Are you going to carry the bill back to the shop and ask to have $1,000 knocked off the price because your wife and some folks on the Internet think its too much ?
Will you wife even believe anything folks on here will say ?

If the car is running superbly with a quality rebuild and you drive it like most of us enthusiasts it will probably outlast YOU. How many things have you bought that will give a lifetime of pleasure for $4,700?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

It would be interesting to better judge all of what was done if you could post up an itemized bill for the work. No need to display the shop name.

I agree with others here that IF this was a legitimate shop, the cost to pull, totally rebuild the motor (was any headwork done...that's not cheap) and, before reinstalling, the engine compartment was cleaned up, I'd say once you add up hoses, belts, fluids plus replace the steering box, the $4,700 you spent doesn't sound too unreasonable. Assuming this was a legit shop, there's got to be a warranty for all this work right? I'd say having all of the above done, you and your wife should not be having "buyer's remorse."

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

How many things have you bought that will give a lifetime of pleasure for $4,700?
Maybe the problem here is he has already given 10 times that amount for the car and it was supposed to have GOOD engine in it.

Until the OP supplies a copy of the billing for parts/labor breakdown, it's impossible to guess whether he got screwed or not as others have said.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much to have that amount of work done because I can do it myself. Others can't so they have to pay.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM
MarvBarrish
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

I usually keep my wife out it. it's better if she doesn't know.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Even taking a engine to a shop doing Bore, heads,cam, lifters and pistons can run 3K , you needed a crank and if they removed the engine and a new steering box it don't sound fare off in price. Remember your a Corvette dude now and money means nothing when it comes to your Corvette.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm in the process of a rebuid on my 1960 and the cost will be north of $3,000. The tear down and build are't costing anything as I have an engine builder friend. Machine shop and parts are not cheap
Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dharris45
I'm in the process of a rebuid on my 1960 and the cost will be north of $3,000. The tear down and build are't costing anything as I have an engine builder friend. Machine shop and parts are not cheap

If the assembly labor is free, somebody's gettin in yer shorts for about half that!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
If the assembly labor is free, somebody's gettin in yer shorts for about half that!
Not so, I'm buying the parts myself. The engine had already been bored .060 over so rather take it to .125 and leave nothing for any future rebuild we are going to .080 over which meant custom pistons. Have you priced those lately?

Probably spending more on parts than I need, but I chose to replace some parts that could probably be reused.

Last edited by dharris45; 06-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Have you priced those lately?

................ I chose to replace some parts that could probably be reused.
No, how much are they?

Lotsa' people make this mistake. If you're my age, you don't have to replace parts that can be reused as they will probably outlast you, your heirs and their heirs anyway at about 2000 miles/year.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Not so, I'm buying the parts myself. The engine had already been bored .060 over so rather take it to .125 and leave nothing for any future rebuild we are going to .080 over which meant custom pistons. Have you priced those lately?

Probably spending more on parts than I need, but I chose to replace some parts that could probably be reused.
Why don't you sleeve the engine????
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Maybe the problem here is he has already given 10 times that amount for the car and it was supposed to have GOOD engine in it.
Wow...I'm sure that's never happened to anybody before.

The money is spent ... it apparently is not that out of whack for the work done ... and it seems to be a good rebuild. All this analysis might have been great before the work was done, now its merely mental masturbation.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by raweddle
I am sure its in the ballpark for what you had done. My question is..if it was just a rod knock...why did he bore out the engine???? were there alot of miles on it? pistons, rings, bearings=rod and cam type. gaskets, valve job, springs, lifters, oil pump, timing chain, crank turned, yep..sure adds up fast ...now add the labor

Get notified of new replies

To Co$t of engine rebuild 1967 327/300

Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

No, how much are they?

Lotsa' people make this mistake. If you're my age, you don't have to replace parts that can be reused as they will probably outlast you, your heirs and their heirs anyway at about 2000 miles/year.
Custom pistons from Ross are $900+. Since the car has the original engine I chose to preserve it. I could have probably gone with an NOM and spend much less. I'm not an NCRS originality fanatic, but I do prefer the car be as original as possible. I don't spend time chasing original bolts with correct head markings when there are perfectly good over the counter bolts that fit.

Yes, we could have sleeved the cylinders. I'm absolutely no expert in anything, but seems to me if there is still good metal in the original block casting I would prefer to bore it out a little more. But you know what, It's my money and I am enjoying do most of the restoration myself. I have rebuild everything on the chassis so far myself. The differential, transmission, front and rear suspension, wheel and master cylinders ( and yes all new bolts, nuts, and washers), new fuel and brake lines (stuff that came out of the old brake lines looked like mud).

Last edited by dharris45; 06-07-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy her a $4700 tennis bracelet and all will be forgotten.
Shemp
Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Like what was posted above, we don't know what was done or what was included. I've had several motors done by the best shop in town. They are well known among professional racers as THE place to have work done. The only problem is the wait during race season. To have them, dis-assemble, hot tank, bore, hone, re-size rods w/ new ARP bolts, grind the crank w/ new 77 bearings, new cam bearings, new hypereutectic pistons, moly rings, balance the rotating assembly, re-assemble and include a Fel-Pro complete gasket kit runs $1100. Add $300 to have the heads redone (valve grind and guides). These prices are what I paid last week to have a 301 short block done and that included sonic testing the block to make sure it would take a .125 overbore. I can't believe some of the prices people pay to have work done.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Co$t of engine rebuild 1967 327/300