C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

hyperlube zinc additive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default hyperlube zinc additive...

i just saw this at the parts house,,, anyone use it? info is at hyperlube.com, and it retails @ $14.00 a bottle, good for one oil change...
thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I use diesel oil, saves me the additional $14.00 per oil change.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by knockbill
i just saw this at the parts house,,, anyone use it? info is at hyperlube.com, and it retails @ $14.00 a bottle, good for one oil change...
thanks
What does it do for you other than empty your wallet?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The web page says it does NOT contain Zinc or Phosphorus so its some kind of chemical cocktail equivalent (supposedly): http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Zinc-Rep...ditive-c7.html.

So what on earth would be the inducement for you to pour this swill into an engine ??
Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The web page says it does NOT contain Zinc or Phosphorus so its some kind of chemical cocktail equivalent (supposedly): http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Zinc-Rep...ditive-c7.html.

So what on earth would be the inducement for you to pour this swill into an engine ??
thats what i asked...it is supposed to take the place of teh missing zinc in motor oil,,, the napa guy claims he sells it to engine rebuilders,,,
again my question, anyone ever use/vouch for it....
thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

the napa guy claims he sells it to engine rebuilders,,,
Hey- the NAPA counter guy approves of it- what else do you need as a sound endorsement?

Seriously- knowing whether a product is truly 'good or bad' takes hundreds of engines being run for tens of thousands of miles under all conditions, plus know what happens on a similar size fleet run without the latest miracle in a bottle.

An engine builder running an engine for a few minutes on a dyno wouldn't have any data to form a credible opinion one way or another.

Last edited by Mike Ward; 06-23-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

thats what i asked...it is supposed to take the place of teh missing zinc in motor oil,,, the napa guy claims he sells it to engine rebuilders,,,
again my question, anyone ever use/vouch for it....
thanks
That is a good point - I have NOT used the product....and I'm going to bet the other cost-conscious and knowledgeable folks on here haven't either.

I HAVE used ZDDP Plus (which at least has real Zinc and Phosphorus) before I found oils that already contain sufficient quantities:

http://www.zddplus.com/imgs/ZDDPlusTestResults2.pdf

But then I did a lot of dumb-@ss stuff with the '61 (my first ever vette) before I did a Vulcan mind-meld with the savvier folks on this forum.

FTF
Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

That is a good point - I have NOT used the product....and I'm going to bet the other cost-conscious and knowledgeable folks on here haven't either.

I HAVE used ZDDP Plus (which at least has real Zinc and Phosphorus) before I found oils that already contain sufficient quantities:

http://www.zddplus.com/imgs/ZDDPlusTestResults2.pdf

But then I did a lot of dumb-@ss stuff with the '61 (my first ever vette) before I did a Vulcan mind-meld with the savvier folks on this forum.

FTF
Frank:

What's the oil that you are using?
Steve
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

There are plenty of good oils out there (so let's not start another "oil wars" thread) with sufficient zinc/phosphorous. My personal choice is Mobil 1 15W-50W...a synthetic formulated for older, solid tappet cars...1300 PPM Zinc and 1200 PPM Phosphorous... Its about 1/3 of the way down the first page of this product chart (attached).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf (16.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

There are plenty of good oils out there (so let's not start another "oil wars" thread) with sufficient zinc/phosphorous. My personal choice is Mobil 1 15W-50W...a synthetic formulated for older, solid tappet cars...1300 PPM Zinc and 1200 PPM Phosphorous... Its about 1/3 of the way down the first page of this product chart (attached).

Thanks Frank.

I just had a 283 built,that one day will go in the 59. The builder did mention using a zinc additive or a formulated oil for older engines. Just wanted to know what you were using.
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To hyperlube zinc additive...

Quick Reply: hyperlube zinc additive...