C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Driver Door Latch

Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 AM
66 Vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Driver Door Latch

I have a 1966 coupe that has issues with the Door Latch Release. The door opens fine with the outside latch release but I have difficulty with the inside Door Latch Release; I pull back as hard as I can and sometimes the Latch will not release. I removed the interior Door Panel looking for a linkage adjustment but could not find anything, it was just a rod with no adjustment. I am now asking for advise on how to permanantly fix this issue.
Thanks,
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Take the door panel off again, and find the rod that connects from the door pull to the striker mechanism (it's the long one). First make sure that it is the correct length rod (when the door pull is in the rest position, forward, then the rod should have no pull on the release arm). I guess first you should make sure that it is hooked up. There is "z" bend in the rod at the door pull, and a 90 degree bend at the latch mechanism, with a locking clip. If you pull forward on the latching arm at the mechanism, it should release the star wheel, and open the door. I don't beleive that it is stuck in the pulled position, or the door wouldn't latch. You can loosen the 4 phillips head screws that hold the pull, and slide it forward to get more travel. Hope this helps.

Mike Coletta
Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

I just had the same problem putting my passenger door all back together. I have a new rod in place since I lost the old one, and it just wouldn't quite open the door from the inside with the door panel on. Tried to shimmy the panel rearward just a little bit to get more throw from the door pull ****, but still wouldn't unlatch the door.

I don't know how long it will last, but I just bowed the rod out a bit to effectively shorten it,, put the panel back on, and so far, so good.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 AM
66 Vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I believe the problem is more with the linkage not allowing full release, since it opens most of the time but I really have to put pressure backward pressure on the internal ****. I would have thought I would have to lengthen the rod instead of shortening it to obtain more travel and release the latch.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 AM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

The drvier's side mechanism did the same thing. I took both out and compared the two. If you look closely at the mechanism, you'll see an L shaped leg that operates the star wheel. On my driver's side door the little dog leg had worn and would not release the mechanism. The piece that worn acted as the actuator to operate the rest of the lock.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:56 PM
fogaley
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default door release

Try this. Remove the door panel again and take the door release mechanism off by removing the two phillips head screws, unhook the rod, then put the door release mech in a vise and use a round file to slot the two screw hold down holes rearward as far as you can without going out of the mech.
This will let you remount the mech further forward and you will regain the ability to release the door latch. The mech should not bottom out in the door panel slot now as you pull to release the door.
While the mech is off check to make sure the stud that the release pull ball screws onto is not loose, if it is rebrad it with a hammer or braze it back tight. Scott
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by fogaley
Try this. Remove the door panel again and take the door release mechanism off by removing the two phillips head screws, unhook the rod, then put the door release mech in a vise and use a round file to slot the two screw hold down holes rearward as far as you can without going out of the mech.
This will let you remount the mech further forward and you will regain the ability to release the door latch. The mech should not bottom out in the door panel slot now as you pull to release the door.
Putting a small double kink/bend in the rod (shortening it slightly) will accomplish the same thing with a lot less work.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
nanood62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Putting a small double kink/bend in the rod (shortening it slightly) will accomplish the same thing with a lot less work.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Door Latch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Door Latch