C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Spring Band Plier

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Swissmopar
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Spring Band Plier

Hi,
I am restoring my rear springs. Need to know where to get the pliers for to clamp the bands. Order number available?
Thank you.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I assume you're looking to the tool for the straps on solid axle Corvette rear springs.

I was able to rent a strapping tool at my local Taylor Rental place when I lived in Maryland. Might be worth a try.

Chuck
Old 07-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Swissmopar
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
I assume you're looking to the tool for the straps on solid axle Corvette rear springs.

I was able to rent a strapping tool at my local Taylor Rental place when I lived in Maryland. Might be worth a try.

Chuck
Yes, but I have to buy one, I live in Switzerland. We can not rent any tools.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Swissmopar
Yes, but I have to buy one, I live in Switzerland. We can not rent any tools.
Ya know, with a screen name like Swissmopar, I should have picked up on that.

Here in the USA, there are companies where you can rent odd ball tools.

What you're looking for is a "banding tool". It's the same kind of gizmo that they use to strap things to pallets for shipping.

If you do a Google search for "banding tool", you'll see pictures of what I'm talking about.

You could also locate a source to buy one in Switzerland.

Maybe if you contacted a shipping company of some sort, they could give you a lead. Maybe an automotive spring company, one that re-arches springs, might have one?

Chuck
Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I did a post on these about a month ago, bought an american copy (not Chinese) of the Original American tool for $10 US, the Original type cost about $300. Got it posted to Australia for $30 so $40 all up was a very good price. I banded my springs a little differently than every one else suggested and worked at real well. Email me if you want to know how I did it at michael.stumpf@bigpond.com . Basically I fitted the new spring liners (with some rubber grease on both side of each liner and then clamped the spring together then measured up the size of the rubber which goes under the band cut it to size and joined the ends together over the spring assembly with rubber 'O' ring super glue - so I didn't have to worry about trying to hold this while crimping. In fact I cut them maybe 1mm smaller so they were a nice fit around the springs - this stops them from gathering once the band has been crimped.

Next I measured the four sides of the springs with the rubber in place and bent the band in my vice with 4 nice 90 deg bends - do this with all bands. No the trick - unclamp the spring assy and remove the liners by sliding them out one end - hence the grease before(remember the rubber supports are now in place with the ends glued and can't be removed) then reclamp the spring assembly. Push the rubber supports as far as you can to the thinnest part of the spring area they are located in, put the crimp over one end of the band and gently ease the two straps over the rubber (the bands on the same end of the spring) and engage the crimp in the other end of the band - you may need a small clamp to keep the band correctly positioned as stretching it over the springs does deform the band a bit. Position the crimp centrally over the band and using a pencil mark a line on the spring on each side of the band to help centralise the crimping tool over the crimp. I also pushed a long piece of metal shim between the band and rubber otherwise the crimping to can bite the rubber and it looks s _ _ t. if you do this then put your pencil marks on the shim.

Once you begin crimping you will see that the tool pulls the band away from the spring during the crimping process and if you leave the liners in place then the crimped band is slack once the tool has been removed. I then pushed the liners back in past the now crimped bands, moved the clamp closer to where the remaining band need to be crimped to clamp this section of the spring - repeat steps to crimp this band and then remove clamp and GENTLY push the liners in place and insert the spring centre / clamping screw.

I know this sounds very complicated but the end result is absolutely perfect.

The ebay store I got the banding tool from is 'E_Liquidators' and the tool is listed as 5/8” MIP Crimping Tool Strap Sealer Banding Crimper.

I would also buy some extra strapping and have as many practice goes as you can until you are 100% happy with the band and crimp and if your old rubber banding support is okay then use this as part of your practice goes.

Best of luck with it once you get the hang of it it is quite easy

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Spring Band Plier

Quick Reply: Rear Spring Band Plier