C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil Filter for 65 396 Big Block (spin-on type filter question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 03:21 PM
Elmer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter for 65 396 Big Block (spin-on type filter question)

Well winter's over and I have made my way back to the garage to awake the beast after a long winter's sleep. Here's my question, when I removed my oil filter, it is a AC Delco PF141 "Cannister type". Question....If I convert it to accept a "spin-on" (modern type) oil filter, am I limited to using a Delco spin on. Ecklers says their kits converts to a spinon and then use Delco oil filters. I assume I could use any brand of spin on filter I want, but bad luck follows me and I don't want to get into any oil flow problems.....So I would like to hear from those that have converted to spin-on type oil filters using Ecklers kit and also if I decide to keep the original cannister type oil filter, can you tell me how hard are they to find ? Thx...Elmer in Dallas.... :cheers:
Old 04-26-2002, 03:58 PM
oger
Instructor

Default Re: Oil Filter for 65 396 Big Block (Elmer)

Why convert it there is nothing wrong with the can type except it is harder to change.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:51 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Oil Filter for 65 396 Big Block (Elmer)

Use any brand you wish and any size that you like. I switched to get the latest filter element technology, and to be able to fill the filter before installing. I hate cranking the engine on a dry filter.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:20 AM
Corvette Cowboy
Instructor

Default Re: Oil Filter for 65 396 Big Block (magicv8)

The AC PF141 oil filter elements are still readily available. Of course, you can cross reference and use any number of other brands. If the old canister is in good shape, there is nothing wrong with keeping it in service. It can be a little more difficult to change. I used to see the conversions around alot. As I remember, there were many brands that could be used, not just AC/Delco.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:07 PM
Elmer
Instructor

Default Re: Specific question on oil filter plate for 65 396 Big Block (Elmer)

Guys, need some help. While converting my old style bolt-on oil filter, I removed the plate (as instructed on the conversion kit instructions). The plate I am mentioning is the actual round plate that the old style oil filter bolts to. The round plate is bolted to the block in a recessed hole in the block. Question, On the plate their is a small screen and round hole. I didn't notice the hole on the plate when I removed it for cleaning, but not I am not sure which way it the plate goes back on. This is a specific type question and I am hoping someone knows the answer. Thx....Elmer
Old 04-28-2002, 04:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: Specific question on oil filter plate for 65 396 Big Block (Elmer)

Elmer -

Doesn't make any difference which way it goes on - either way is OK.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Elmer
Instructor

Default Re: Specific question on oil filter plate for 65 396 Big Block (JohnZ)

John, thanks !! Elmer :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Filter for 65 396 Big Block (spin-on type filter question)

Quick Reply: Oil Filter for 65 396 Big Block (spin-on type filter question)