C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spicer Half Shaft Universal Joint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Bdeliman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spicer Half Shaft Universal Joint Problem

I bought a set of Spicer universal joints for the halfshafts on my 65. The universals pressed into the half shafts without a problem. But they seem too big to fit into the halfshaft flanges. I checked with a straight edge to see if the back of the flanges were bent, but they do not appear to be bent. Has anyone seen anything like this? What is the distance between the ears on a new halfshaft flange? Maybe my ears are bent inward slightly.

Bill
Old 07-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

It's very common for those to get bent a little from pounding the old ones out. Measure what you have, then take it and bolt it back on the spindle and compare. Maybe you can get the u-joint started when you have it bolted up, and remove it to finish the job?

Gerry
Old 07-23-2011, 07:24 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdeliman
I bought a set of Spicer universal joints for the halfshafts on my 65. The universals pressed into the half shafts without a problem. But they seem too big to fit into the halfshaft flanges. I checked with a straight edge to see if the back of the flanges were bent, but they do not appear to be bent. Has anyone seen anything like this? What is the distance between the ears on a new halfshaft flange? Maybe my ears are bent inward slightly.

Bill
Bent flanges are fairly common - usually from pounding or pressing out u-joints (stating the obvious I guess). To be clear -when you say "too big" do you mean the caps are bigger than the flange bore diameter - or do you mean the u-join trunnion (spell?) length from end to end w/o caps prevents your being able to get it into the flange? Don't know the dimension but you should be able to measure from one C-clip grove to the other in the flange and compare that to the overall width of the u-joint with caps in place.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Bdeliman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the exact word, but with the caps removed, the u jouint does not fit into the flange. The part of the u joint with the cap removed hits the flange ear about 1/8 inch.

Bill
Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just measured the distance between the flange ears on my half shafts as best I could. I get about 2 5/8 inches. The distance lessens as you go closer to the plate end because the ears get wider. I don't know if the ears can move with the plate bending, but did you put a straight edge against the back of the plate? Although 1/8 inch is a lot to bend. I've only done drive shaft u joints, so I have no experience with this.

larry
Old 07-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know the exact word, but with the caps removed, the u jouint does not fit into the flange. The part of the u joint with the cap removed hits the flange ear about 1/8 inch.

Bill
You may have the wrong size u-joints. Do you have the old ones to compare the new ones to?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

the easiest way to get the old cross out is to blow it out with a flame wrench and never need to pound on the shaft distorting the flanges or yokes
Old 07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

But they seem too big to fit into the halfshaft flanges. I checked with a straight edge to see if the back of the flanges were bent, but they do not appear to be bent. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Any time you're doing the outer U-joints on half-shafts, you should use either another flange, bolted back-to-back to the one you're working on, or a piece of plate stock drilled and tapped to bolt the flange to, to avoid distorting/bending the flange while pressing the U-joints. Bending the flange and/or the ears is VERY common when the proper support tool isn't used, and when the flange is bent, it's junk.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
BOOT77 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Bill
If I'm reading this right it sounds like the same problem I had when I installed the Spicer U-joints in my half shafts. The cross, or trunnion portion is pretty beefy compared to a standard size U-joint. In order to fit the the Spicer cross inside the mounting 'ears' of the half shaft I took a Dremel tool and slightly ground away a bit of inner ear material to allow clearance for the trunnion end to clear and enter the ear. It didn't take much - only a tiny slight amount of material was removed.

Get notified of new replies

To Spicer Half Shaft Universal Joint Problem

Quick Reply: Spicer Half Shaft Universal Joint Problem