C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing the Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 PM
ncvettedude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Gauge Cluster

Folks,
Can someone point me to the best reference (I have most of the books) for removing a 1959 gauge cluster? I have to get the tach out as the Lens has fallen in.
Thanks,
Clint
Old 07-23-2011, 08:28 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,123 Likes on 551 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I just replaced my tach in my 61 and I am in the process of doing a paper on the removal and installation.
Hope to have it done soon.
Joe
Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Just going from memory...

Pull off the horn button, remove the steering wheel, remove the upper turn signal housing cup (screw wedge on the bottom). Once this is out remove the lower column cover and then remove the wires from the small gauges.

When you remove the wires from the back of the small gauges make positive sure that the post do not turn. The post have a tiny wire soldered to it and they will break if the stud turns.

I would then disconnect the tach cable from the engine side and the transmission. Why? Because once you have the bolts loose from the cluster you can pick it up and reach behind to unscrew them from the dash. Much easier than doing this on your back.

After you have the bolts around the bottom of the housing lose it should pull right out.

Once you have it out you'll notice on the back of the tach canister there are two nuts.. remove these nuts and your tach is ready to come out of the housing.

Do not bend the upper from the lower housing for that will cause the four tangs that hold the two half's together to break or bend..... Hard fix too!

Plaidside.. see if I missed something and if you need pictures or AIM drawings let me know I have them I can post.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 07-23-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

First DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

Just before actually pulling the cluster out put a thick towel over the top of
the steering column to prevent scratching it up by accident...
Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvettedude
Folks,
Can someone point me to the best reference (I have most of the books) for removing a 1959 gauge cluster? I have to get the tach out as the Lens has fallen in.
Thanks,
Clint
The ST-12 has the procedure in there.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
First DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

Just before actually pulling the cluster out put a thick towel over the top of
the steering column to prevent scratching it up by accident...
Frankie... good point...
Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If you are going to pull wires make sure you label them. I also kind of made a "reverse" chart of where everything goes, as if you are looking up from the floor, which you will be, commonly know as "the pretzel position".
Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I bought some Radio Shack wire labels....they are small and stick well....they are numbered like "1", "2", "3", etc.. I put a "1" on say the ammeter to starter wire and then put another small "1" on the back of the ammeter near that terminal. Then I made an index card "legend" just as an additional data point: e.g. "1" Ammeter terminal (Driver's Side), "2" Ammeter terminal (Passenger's Side). Use the "Passenger Side" and "Driver's Side" (or "DS" / "PS") terminology as "right" and "left" will screw you up good when you are upside down under the dash !

Did this the first time I pulled the cluster and boy, the second time it SURE made life easier.

As I ALWAYS recommend -- put a 30 AMP ATC blade type fuse on the ammeter to starter wire to protect your wiring and prevent fires...it has saved me more than once when something got mis-wired !

Do not drink beer when upside down under the dash....it will choke you, come out your nose and make you bang your head...don't ask how I know...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-24-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 AM
ncvettedude
Intermediate

Folks Thanks for the info. And worry not I will avoid the BudLight while in the Pretzel position.

Whats the easiest way to get to the 5 bolts? They look like they are going to be a real b#@%& to get back on.
Thanks,
Clint
Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
ncvettedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
The ST-12 has the procedure in there.
What is the ST-12?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The attachment with the red circles shows the holes for the 5 bolts -- only one is a real PITA and, fortunately for me, some previous owner never installed the really hard to reach one. I also didn't reinstall it when I did the cluster R&R...its behind something under there and I don't really remember what but its the dickens to even see it let alone remove it!

The ST-12 is the C1 technical reference manual that EVERY C1 owner should have...search for it on eBay or Amazon or get it from any Corvette restoration vendor..
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2011, 11:50 AM
ncvettedude
Intermediate

What is the ST-12?
Actually ignore that, I never noticed the ST-12 on the bottom of the Servicing Guide.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

What is the ST-12?
The 53-62 corvette service manual.

New ones are available from the typical corvette parts vendors.

Here's a link to a used one so you can see what it looks like
http://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Servi...1522608&sr=8-5
Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

For me the bitch-bolt was the one over the cigarette lighter. I think I actually cross threaded it when I re-installed the cluster. There are parts on this car that make me wonder how they were installed when a car was moving down the production line in 1959.Dash pad and insert also come to mind.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Removal of the driver's seat bottom, steering wheel and a cushion over the seat rails will make it easier to get underneath and more comfortable.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus
Removal of the driver's seat bottom, steering wheel and a cushion over the seat rails will make it easier to get underneath and more comfortable.

I recently completed a complete rewire of my 59 and pulled the cluster to repair my Tach as well.

A couple of things to add fom my experience: I took the seat rails out an put a nice foam pad down when I did mine, just a few extra bolts to remove and much more comfortable on your back. Get yourself a good florescent bulb for your light. You need a good light source that does not generate any heat when working in that tight space near your face. I did not remove the steering wheel, but it would have made a bit more room (did not need it with the seat tracks out), only the bottom column cover. You will also need to remove the 3 bolts that hold the cowl vent bracket to the dash to access the dash bolt underneath. Make careful notes of the wiring, especially the Amp meter Black and Red wires as they are reversed in the ST-12 wiring diagram (credit to John Z who wrote an article on this). Lastly, not to increase your workload, but it would be a great time to consider replacing your Dash harness if you need / want to as well. Pilot Dan
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Roger Quintero
Instructor

Default 61 cluster removal

I am pulling my cluster today. Anything left out of this thread? A matter of fact I noticed the cluster must have been removed prior. The corners on the top of the cluster where they meet the lower unit are just barely cracked a little. I guess that is pot metal. Any suggestions concerning that issue?
What the hell; it is getting cold, whats another project.
Thanks
Rog

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the Gauge Cluster

Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Roger Quintero
I am pulling my cluster today. Anything left out of this thread? A matter of fact I noticed the cluster must have been removed prior. The corners on the top of the cluster where they meet the lower unit are just barely cracked a little. I guess that is pot metal. Any suggestions concerning that issue?
What the hell; it is getting cold, whats another project.
Thanks
Rog
Forum member Plaidside (Joe) documented the entire process in detail, and it is captured in the PDF that is attached to this post
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578261298-post6.html
Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yes - I worked with Dave and Joe putting that article together...every car is different but the guide at the bottom post in the above thread is a VERY good general procedure !!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Roger Quintero
Instructor

By God, that PDF is the bomb. Step by step procedures. Just what I needed. I feel a little more comfortable doing it now.
It is a real mess under my dash and I sure did not look forward to any learning curve issues along with my wiring mess.
Once again
Thanks Gang.

Quick Reply: Removing the Gauge Cluster