C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dewitts Radiator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dewitts Radiator Problem

This is not a C-1/C-2 issue but I figured I could get some good advice here. I bought an aluminum radiator from Dewitt in March 2009 for our 79 L-82 4 speed. When I received the radiator I opened the top of the box to see it but did not remove it from the box. The radiator looked great and the box was perfect with no shipping damage. As I wanted to protect it I left it in the box and placed it into the cab of my vintage Chev pickup for safe storage until I could put it into the car.

Fast forward to this month when I finally was ready to install the radiator. I carefully cut the binding straps and removed it from the box.....beautiful radiator with great welds on it. I decided to paint it before installation and as I taped the openings I noticed that the nipple on the filler neck that the overflow tank connects to is loose.

I called Dewitt yesterday and the nice lady who answered the phone said that to remedy the problem I could send it back to Dewitt or epoxy the nipple, or maybe crimp it with pliers. She said that the nipples are brazed onto the filler neck at the factory. Upon inspection I can clearly see that the nipple wasn't brazed (welded?) and that step was clearly missed during production.

I don't know what to do. If Dewitt would pay the shipping I think I'd send it back. I do not want to epoxy or take a pliers to a $500 radiator. I bought from Dewitt because I wanted the best radiator for the car. If I was confident that a local shop would do a first class repair I would consider just having it done locally.

What would you do in this case?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Doug

Last edited by Workin On 59; 08-15-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

so, did you ask Dewitt's about returning the radiator to them? you won't find a company with better customer service
Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Workin On 59
Pro

Yes. The lady at Dewitt said that I could return it. We did not discuss shipping.

I chose Dewitt for the reputation of their products and customer service and the radiator looks great except for the loose nipple.

In hindsight I suppose that I should have removed it from the box and looked at it a little closer upon receipt.

Last edited by Workin On 59; 08-15-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I believe you would serve yourself well/better here by dealing direct with Dewitt...call them back and ask them what you should expect to make this radiator right. Explain to them your decision to patronize Dewitt in the first place and the fact that, frankly, you didn't totally inspect the product upon delivery (hat in hand).

I think Dewitt will make this right for you.

Just my .02.

Good luck!

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I am afraid..after all this time has past...you may have to either fix it yourself or pay to ship it back.

Yes they should have sent you a rad that was complete ...but I feel, that you should have taken the radiator out and inspected it completely, then if you noticed something wrong address it then and expect free return and repair or a new rad in its place. After all this time..well.. I guess we will see what happens. I would bite the bullet...and ship it back for repair...good luck
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Deal directly with Dewitts.

I had a similar situation in that I had a new rad that I received, didn't install for over a year, had a problem and Dewitts made it right.

Ask them about shipping charges for sure, but return shipping is a small price to pay for getting it fixed properly or getting a new one.

I think I dealt with John at Dewitts.

Their customer service is outstanding, they wont let you down
The following users liked this post:
Marlon (05-21-2017)
Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Dewitts I am sure will make it right for you if you ship it back to them. Knowing Tom, I have no doubt of that.

Something similar happened to me recently with a new Quanta Gas tank that I received. In my case, the fuel vent nipple was poorly brazed and was loose and moving around right out of the box. Spoke with the vendor I got it from and decided to have it brazed locally (which they reimbursed me for) as this route was cheaper than paying round trip shipping on an oversize item regardless of who was paying. Just an alternate idea that helped me. Pilot Dan
Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Workin On 59
Yes. The lady at Dewitts said that I could return it. We did not discuss shipping.
If you ship it to us, we'll ship it back to you.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
sounds fair enuf! BTW - I love my direct fit radiator! It stays very cool 185-195 even in the heat.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

That sounds fair to me!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Mine did the same thing. They need to solder better.

You can see the seepage in the link below. Sorry no repair photo yet.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/albu...ictureid=66834

BUT you also have to learn you CANNOT lift the radiator by the overflow tube. I am sure that what the caused the issue on mine.

I sanded the paint in that area and roughed up the metal, degreased and the used quick set J-B Weld. Don't glob it on. Use medium coating around the whole weld. I used a match stick to keep from making a mess. Worked perfect. It's only about 13 psi. Touch it up with rad black.

Don't send it back. Or even weld for that matter. The JB will give the cleanest bond.Takes one helluva welder to lay down a bead that smooth. And the radiator stays in the car. You don't even have to empty it.

DeWitts is still the best!

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 08-11-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Mine did the same thing. They need to solder better.

You can see the seepage in the link below. Sorry no repair photo yet.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/albu...ictureid=66834

BUT you also have to learn you CANNOT lift the radiator by the overflow tube. I am sure that what the caused the issue on mine.

I sanded the paint in that area and roughed up the metal, degreased and the used quick set J-B Weld. Don't glob it on. Use medium coating around the whole weld. I used a match stick to keep from making a mess. Worked perfect. It's only about 13 psi. Touch it up with rad black.

Don't send it back. Or even weld for that matter. The JB will give the cleanest bond.Takes one helluva welder to lay down a bead that smooth. And the radiator stays in the car. You don't even have to empty it.

DeWitts is still the best!

if the radiator was in the car i would agree with you. being that it has not been installed i would send it back and have it done correctly. if jb weld was better than brazing than i would think dewitt's would start assembling radiators that way.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by scopeli
if the radiator was in the car i would agree with you. being that it has not been installed i would send it back and have it done correctly. if jb weld was better than brazing than i would think dewitt's would start assembling radiators that way.

I should have said any local shop doing the brazing. I would only trust DeWitts for that.

The OP wanted suggestions. He has mine.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 08-12-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Workin On 59
Pro

Thanks to all who posted, especially Tom Dewitt. I knew that I would get good advice here.

I carefully repacked the radiator and dropped it off for UPS pickup this afternoon. It should be back to Michigan in a few days and I am confident that the radiator will be in good hands.

When I repacked it I added bubble wrap on the outside of each end to help keep the radiator centered. The nipple in question could be vulnerable (because of the way it protrudes out from the filler neck) if the radiator shifted side to side in the box.

Doug
Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Tom I'm surprised that the Customer needs to pay to ship it back considering it seems like a warranty issue.. Just saying..

Get notified of new replies

To Dewitts Radiator Problem

Quick Reply: Dewitts Radiator Problem