C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Water pump questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Water pump questions?

I was thinking on my ride home from work today about an over heating issue that I am dealing with in one of my modified cars.

Because of some issues with the motor, it ended up getting completely rebuilt. The previous builder had used a hodge podge of various quality parts to be the motor. It was a 502 and now a 396. Because of the previous parts used, I started thinking about the water pump.

Here are my questions....

1. How do you know when a water pump is worn out? Do they just leak water through the pump seal? How do you know it is pumping ok?

2. I know that water pumps can be specified clockwise or counter clockwise. What happens if you get a pump that is specified one rotation and you run it backwards? How can you tell that the pump is pumping and flowing?

Are there any other nuances about water pumps that I should be aware of?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
2. I know that water pumps can be specified clockwise or counter clockwise. What happens if you get a pump that is specified one rotation and you run it backwards? How can you tell that the pump is pumping and flowing?
Photo below shows a conventional (clockwise rotation) water pump impeller; an impeller for a reverse-rotation (counter-clockwise) pump has the "fins" angled in the other direction. If you run either one backwards, the flow rate will be less than half of what it should be.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
I was thinking on my ride home from work today about an over heating issue that I am dealing with in one of my modified cars.

Because of some issues with the motor, it ended up getting completely rebuilt. The previous builder had used a hodge podge of various quality parts to be the motor. It was a 502 and now a 396. Because of the previous parts used, I started thinking about the water pump.

Here are my questions....

1. How do you know when a water pump is worn out? Do they just leak water through the pump seal? How do you know it is pumping ok?

Are there any other nuances about water pumps that I should be aware of?
Herb - A water pump either works or it doesn't. Unless the impeller is destroyed somehow it will pump water. If the seal goes it leaks. That is the only two things that can happen.

If a pump runs in reverse it might create an overheating situation. A long time ago, I switched the connections for the heater flow on a '57 Chev and after a short while it would almost peg the temp gauge, therefore I think the water must circulate in the proper direction through the proper hoses to cool correctly.

To see if the pump is working and flowing you should be able to tell by taking off the radiator cap and see if the water is moving (best to do with less than full liquid capacity so it doesn't just flow out of the fill cap)
Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Photo below shows a conventional (clockwise rotation) water pump impeller; an impeller for a reverse-rotation (counter-clockwise) pump has the "fins" angled in the other direction. If you run either one backwards, the flow rate will be less than half of what it should be.

Hey I know that pic... Bill educated me on the good and bad of water pumps...

The old impellers work great it's the new stamped impellers that don't work worth a darn...

Stewart pumps for me as they work great and last a long time...

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump questions?

Quick Reply: Water pump questions?