C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

coil springs,rear leaf,ride height help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 PM
ed,s64
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Default coil springs,rear leaf,ride height help

My 64 sits higher on the right side compared to the left side.1/2 in. in the front 1 in. in rear. Car has 10 year old body mounts and measurements were taken floor to fender centerline of wheel. My right coil has 2 rubber spacers in and rather than placing rubber on the left i ordered GT coils from CC which are by VB. I hope that this was a correct move. My rear leaf has 8 leafs or is it 7 with a extra peice.It is not original and appears to be a replacement. The bolts are 3 1/2 in. and are slightly below the rear ears.I have new outside bolt,cups ,rubbers and would like to know. Should i install 4 in. bolts, replacing them one at a time.Can i tighten the right outside bolt down to lower the rear or is my leaf incorrect and replace it in the not to distant future. The ride is fairly good just that the car sits low on the left side and is very noticable from the backveiw. Any help or suggestions taken. thanks Elio
Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Did you put the body mount cushions in 10 years ago? Are they rubber or polyurethane? Did they do a frame off restoration at them time or just replace the mounts?

My guess is that it is not the springs, especially the leaf spring, but the bodymount cushions or the spacers that are causing the difference from side to side. That is, unless the frame is bent from an accident.

But to answer your question, yes you can get longer bolts that will allow you to adjust the rear ride height, but if it is the cushions or spacers that are causing the problem, then you would just be causing a difference in spring rate and pressure from side to side by "fixing" the ride height by using adjustable bolts.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 PM
ed,s64
Racer

Yes, the previous owner did a body off, he probly used rubber and the frame is original unhit as far as i know from inspection by a mechanic.I will look at the body mounts tommorow and see if there are shimms missing on the left side or extra installed on the right.Thanks
Old 08-20-2011, 10:02 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

From your description. I think the springs are suspect. I bought mine from Eaton and that ended my front to rear and side to side height issues.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/corvettesprings63-82.html

You will also want to make sure your frame is at the right height according to the AIM manual.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 08-20-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

What did you find?

I would pay extra attention to the kickup assembly in the rear. Even though everything lines up correctly and bolts on, it still may be bent from being rear ended at one time or another.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
ed,s64
Racer

Hey silververt, i,ve been busy and haven,t had a chance to crawl under the car to take a good look at body mounts,frame or anything.Hope to get under there by weekend.I will take a good look at the kickups and see if there is any sings of old repairwork. thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM
HomeboyMI
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
From your description. I think the springs are suspect. I bought mine from Eaton and that ended my front to rear and side to side height issues.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/corvettesprings63-82.html

You will also want to make sure your frame is at the right height according to the AIM manual.
I've seen reference to the AIM manual in this forum before. Please tell me what AIM stands for.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by HomeboyMI
I've seen reference to the AIM manual in this forum before. Please tell me what AIM stands for.
The AIM is the Assembly Instruction Manual - a "must-have" for any C1/C2 owner - there's one for each year; all of the usual vendors have them, plus the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
HomeboyMI
Instructor

I am finding the same problem with my 64 that I bought a week ago. It has had a body off restro with new springs front and rear and new body mount cushions.

The front is 3/4 inch higher on the drivers side compared to the passengers side.
The back is 1 inch higher on the drivers side compared to the passengers side.

The distance between the body and the frame leg looks equal on both sides.

The crossmember is about 1 inch higher on the drivers side compared to the passenger side.

The A frames in the front seem to be the same height. I measured both top and bottom A frames to the floor. The front coils are new.

It was said here in this post that it was unlikely the rear spring would cause this difference in height but I am wondering if this might be a possibility since it is new. Maybe it wasn't installed properly?

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to measure to the bottom of the frame rails. That tells you if the frame and suspension are ok. By the way, 1" side to side there is huge!

Measurements to body lines bring all kinds of variables into play, including the relatively poor quality of the original body, quality of previous body work and of course body mounts.

What are the measurements at the front and rear of the outer most frame rails? (bottom of the frame rail to the floor, behind the front wheels and in front of the rears?

Harry

Last edited by 66since71; 08-31-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 PM
HomeboyMI
Instructor

I measured under the frame rails Harry.

LF 7 1/2" RF 7"

LR 8 3/4 RR 8"

What do you think would cause that much difference?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 PM
HomeboyMI
Instructor

Can the rear leaf spring cause this situation?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HomeboyMI
Can the rear leaf spring cause this situation?
Your frame rail measurements suggest it's suspension, so...Yes.. Check the bolts that connect the spring to the trailing arms and the related rubber cushions. Missing or bad rubber could do it, as could incorrect bolts.

Good hunting...

Harry

Get notified of new replies

To coil springs,rear leaf,ride height help

Quick Reply: coil springs,rear leaf,ride height help