C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Trunk Lid Is There A Trick To Make It Stay Up

Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM
braddog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefred
Here you go.....maybe this will help. Article from NCRS monthly.

GREAT ARTICLE
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR EFFORTS.
IT TURNS IT INTO A BIGGER PROJECT
BUT THE END RESULTS LOOKS PROMISING

THANKS john
Old 12-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Builder58
Heel & Toe

Default Removal of springs

Thanks, I found the article in a restoration book via the author of this article. The question I have ... how do you remove the spring? I followed the articles directions, but find the top nut impossible to remove. How do you get the top nut removed?

Builder 58

Originally Posted by vettefred
Here you go.....maybe this will help. Article from NCRS monthly.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Builder58
Thanks, I found the article in a restoration book via the author of this article. The question I have ... how do you remove the spring? I followed the articles directions, but find the top nut impossible to remove. How do you get the top nut removed?

Builder 58
Looks like a small 6 point socket would be the ticket. It's tight, make sure you clean off all the paint above the nut that may have gotten on the threads of the rod real well before starting so you are not fighting that.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Builder58
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Looks like a small 6 point socket would be the ticket. It's tight, make sure you clean off all the paint above the nut that may have gotten on the threads of the rod real well before starting so you are not fighting that.
Thank you. It would appear whoever owned the car before me really jammed the nuts tight and seemed to be very fond of locktite.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you are building a '58 (assuming from your id) then the trunk irons (as mentioned above 3 years ago) can cause sag. The repros are heavier and drag the trunk lid down, unlike the lighter originals...
Old 12-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Builder58
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you are building a '58 (assuming from your id) then the trunk irons (as mentioned above 3 years ago) can cause sag. The repros are heavier and drag the trunk lid down, unlike the lighter originals...
I did not think about that when I started, but it would appear this is a common problem. Solved it by adding helper springs. I used the compression method discussed in the article vettefred shared. Just modified it a bit using a car door hinge spring compressor to hold the coils after compressing the main spring and helper spring to five inches. Worked like a charm. Just need to remember to make sure the helper spring is the same length as the main spring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1 Trunk Lid Is There A Trick To Make It Stay Up