C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Custom autosound knob problem

Old 08-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Land Shark 64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom autosound **** problem

Putting together the dash tonight and installed a custom autosound radio. Went to put the ***** on and they stick out way too much. The fake back **** is about a quarter inch away from the face of the dash and won't go any further down the shaft. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Hard to say without pics...if its those outer "ring" ***** -- like the tone or balance ring they usually have a "nub" in the center hole that fits into a slot in the outer sleeve around the main **** shaft to enable adjustment. Short of disassembling the radio and filing that slot deeper you're pretty much screwed.

May sound silly but make sure you aren't putting those rings on upside down -- it happens !

Having said all that -- I have had to put spacers/washers on the **** shafts before installing the radio on some AutoSounds (in my Mustangs) to get the ***** nestled against the dash. This only works if it doesn't pull the face of the radio too far back or make the mounting of the radio unstable.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

You have the radio mounted "out" too far. There is a double set of shaft nuts/washers to adjust the setback of the radio into the dash. If you're installing a midyear radio, then there is also a large aluminum plate that goes behind the dash to set the depth. The "face" of the radio should be flush with the dash.

Mike Coletta
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Land Shark 64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

I tried that, but when I move the backing plate/radio to where it is flush, there is no threads left to screw down the nut on the outside. I'll take another look this morning.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

When I put one of those in my '64, I thought the ***** looked like crap and reused the stock *****. For the right inner ring, I obtained another "tone" **** to use.

Ultimately I took it out because not only did it not look right in the bezel (after lots of shimming to fill the unused portions of the hole), but it was a real POS and much more prone to ignition noise than the stock radio (Mallory box/solid plug wires/non-resistor plugs/only some of the shielding).

I put the stock radio back in but use an aftermarket power amp with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom autosound knob problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom autosound knob problem