C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacing headlight bucket on a 59

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Replacing headlight bucket on a 59

Well got home from Carlisle and, while waiting for Irene to hit the Philly area, I decided to install some of the new toys I bought. Always wanted to replace the Passenger side head light bucket. Apparently in its prior life. the car had been hit and the bucket sort of mangled and then some one tried to straighten it out. It works well as is, but it always bugged me so I bought a bucket at Carlisle and went to install it. Figured 1/2 hour tops. Then I ran into a problem...how do you fish the wires for the light through the hole on the back of the bucket? The connectors are way to big to fit. I tried tracing the wires and apparently they pass under the nose of the car right above the grill molding. I quit when it appeared that I might have to remove the hood to get a better look. Any tips? tricks? thoughts?
Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

The headlight extension wires disconnect at both ends, (at the headlight and in the wheel well area. the wires travel through a rubber grommet to the motor harness
You have to disconnect them at the wheel well side and feed them through the headlight housing.

Last edited by wilbur; 08-26-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:17 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve59
Well got home from Carlisle and, while waiting for Irene to hit the Philly area, I decided to install some of the new toys I bought. Always wanted to replace the Passenger side head light bucket. Apparently in its prior life. the car had been hit and the bucket sort of mangled and then some one tried to straighten it out. It works well as is, but it always bugged me so I bought a bucket at Carlisle and went to install it. Figured 1/2 hour tops. Then I ran into a problem...how do you fish the wires for the light through the hole on the back of the bucket? The connectors are way to big to fit. I tried tracing the wires and apparently they pass under the nose of the car right above the grill molding. I quit when it appeared that I might have to remove the hood to get a better look. Any tips? tricks? thoughts?
Thanks
1/2 hour? You wish!!! Those old clutch head screws can be challenging.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Originally Posted by wilbur
The headlight extension wires disconnect at both ends, (at the headlight and in the wheel well area. the wires travel through a rubber grommet to the motor harness
You have to disconnect them at the wheel well side and feed them through the headlight housing.
Don't know if i quite understand. The head light bulbs push into the connector which I presume, can't be separated from the wires without cutting those wires, correct?

If you follow the wires out of the bucket (through the grommet) in my case those wires then go through the inner wall fiber glass (through another grommet) then they make another short tight right and then a short left and as I said look like they run across the inner top of the nose. This wire harness is all taped up. I do see some connectors but can't get to them without taking off the hood, I think. Is taking the hood off necessary? If so, this maybe WAY more work than I really want to get involved in, just for a cosmetic fix that no one will see.

As to the clutch head screws, don't have them. Apparently Bubba was there before me, many years ago. There are also some home made blind nuts and some fiber glass repairs in the area where the bucket sits. That's how I know it had been hit sometime during it's early life.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Correct, the headlight wire plugs in the conector and the conector can not be
separated from the wires without cutting those wires.
The wires then enter through the grommet in the inner fiberglass wheel well to plug into the main harness under your hood. That is were you would disconnect the wire from.
I installed mine with out removing the hood

Go to corvette centrals web site and take a look at the headlight extension wires.

Last edited by wilbur; 08-26-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 571 Likes on 306 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Steve, You can get to the connectors by opening the hood and removing it from the clip that holds the wiring harness up. Reach in witha cupped hand and you can feel the back side of the clip. Just bend a little and work the connector out of it. You should have enough play to bring it up and remove the wires. Make sure the colors match. See pictures attached.
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I re-wired my car (complete wiring harness) about 4 years ago. There's no need to remove the hood.... :-)
Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Originally Posted by Redbird
Steve, You can get to the connectors by opening the hood and removing it from the clip that holds the wiring harness up. Reach in witha cupped hand and you can feel the back side of the clip. Just bend a little and work the connector out of it. You should have enough play to bring it up and remove the wires. Make sure the colors match. See pictures attached.
Thanks for the pics, those pics/connectors are what mine look like. Are there two connectors that I need to disconnect? Were you wires wrapped in tape? Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing headlight bucket on a 59

Quick Reply: Replacing headlight bucket on a 59