C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tremec TKO 600 Trans Fluid Leaking from Vent

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Default Tremec TKO 600 Trans Fluid Leaking from Vent

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was the solution - fix?

Well, I drove the '64 for about 5 miles on Wednesday ( I have, maybe twenty miles on the car at this point). When we got back to the shop, fluid was dripping from the tail-end of the Keisler Tremec TKO600. (The trans was not over-filled) Yesterday, with the car back on the lift, it was discovered that the fluid was running out the trans vent, so we called Keisler and spoke with them today.

I'M NOT COMPLAINING. I'M LOST...maybe someone else has experienced this problem.

Keisler had two possible answers:

I have the wrong fluid, causing undo internal pressure (I have Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid, p/n 12345349) in it.

or

The vent tube is stuck open, which will, apparently, require pulling the engine/trans to repair.

Here's tech info I have from Tremec:

OilCaution:
NO OIL IN TRANSMISSION. Due to various synchronizer materials used in TREMEC transmissions, and different climates and applications, no one single fluid will work for all transmissions. We recommend GM synchromesh part # 12345349, or Dexron III / Mercon Spec ATF fluid for all TKO transmissions. The transmission should be filled through the fill plug located on the passenger side of the transmission. Proper fill level is achieved when oil reaches the fill plughole when level (approximately 5.28pints).

I am so f&#king close to finishing this 3 1/2 year project and am now being kicked in the nads with these problems. I'm not feeling well - where's the Tylenol?

Last edited by Dave64; 08-28-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Looking for help...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I have been here before.

My TKO600 leaked from the vent and the speedo cable housing. I removed the speedo cable and reinstalled/retorqued and it quit leaking from that location.

As far as the vent leak, no way was I going to pull trans (again) for a vent leak. After getting wrong parts and having to pull the trans twice during the swap, I was so pissed off I just drove it anyway...I was content to let it burn up. The leak from the vent eventually quit after a hundred miles or so and the fluid level was fine (it didnt lose that much fluid from the vent leak). BTW: I too didn't think I overfilled.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I am gussing I was lucky here on this part of the swap didnt have any problems at all. Sorry to hear this it is a pain in the azz to pull for sure.... Robert
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Wow - I fought through the infamous "slip yoke seal leak" and Keisler's redesigned slip yoke finally fixed it but have had no other problems (fingers crossed). I'll be lurking on here to see how things go...
Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Dave64
Drifting

ttt
Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave64
ttt
Hi Dave,
Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see that you asked a question other than the location of pain killers. Maybe others are similarly unsure if you are asking for guidance?

Jeff
Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Hi Dave,
Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see that you asked a question other than the location of pain killers. Maybe others are similarly unsure if you are asking for guidance?

Jeff
Jeff,

I am most certainly looking for guidance, or others who have suffered the same malady with their Tremecs. Of course, the cure is what I need to hear about...

Dave
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Jeff,

I am most certainly looking for guidance, or others who have suffered the same malady with their Tremecs. Of course, the cure is what I need to hear about...

Dave
Got it. Good luck, in my experience there's nothing worse during a restoration/rebuild than finding out the big expensive stuff you paid for, is of sub-par fit, finish, color, quality, and so forth.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Dave64
Drifting

ttt...help?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pennzoil Synchromesh and GM Synchromesh are the same fluid so that wouldn't be the issue.

The vent relieves internal pressure so it has to be open in order to work. It's simply a metal cap on a spring. If it was closed then I would expect it to push fluid out elsewhere.

You say that fluid was leaking from the rear of the trans so that makes me think of the slip yoke since we've had issues with them. How old is this kit?

I would say clean everything up with brake cleaner and road test again to try and determine the exact location of the leak. Is it trans fluid for sure and not oil?
The following users liked this post:
71/502 (11-25-2020)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM
VG
Virtual George

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Navy

I have also been dealing with a leak at the rear of the transmission, but not from the yoke. I replaced the seal and it still leaked. The last time we looked at it, we found the dripping was showing at the rear but was really coming from the shifter housing. We pulled the console and tighened the bolts. I have not been under to check it since so I do not know if that fixed it.

VG
Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KeislerJeff
Pennzoil Synchromesh and GM Synchromesh are the same fluid so that wouldn't be the issue.

The vent relieves internal pressure so it has to be open in order to work. It's simply a metal cap on a spring. If it was closed then I would expect it to push fluid out elsewhere.

You say that fluid was leaking from the rear of the trans so that makes me think of the slip yoke since we've had issues with them. How old is this kit?

I would say clean everything up with brake cleaner and road test again to try and determine the exact location of the leak. Is it trans fluid for sure and not oil?
makes sense to me.....
Old 11-07-2020, 06:42 PM
rubilahmadi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I drove the '64 for about 5 miles on Wednesday ( I have, maybe twenty miles on the car at this point). When we got back to the shop, fluid was dripping from the tail-end of the Keisler Tremec TKO600. (The trans was not over-filled) Yesterday, with the car back on the lift, it was discovered that the fluid was running out the trans vent, so we called Keisler and spoke with them today.

I'M NOT COMPLAINING. I'M LOST...maybe someone else has experienced this problem.

I have the wrong fluid, causing undo internal pressure (I have Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid, p/n 12345349) in it.

or

The vent tube is stuck open, which will, apparently, require pulling the engine/trans to repair.

OilCaution:
NO OIL IN TRANSMISSION. Due to various synchronizer materials used in TREMEC transmissions, and different climates and applications, no one single fluid will work for all transmissions. We recommend GM synchromesh part # 12345349, or Dexron III / Mercon Spec ATF fluid for all TKO transmissions. The transmission should be filled through the fill plug located on the passenger side of the transmission. Proper fill level is achieved when oil reaches the fill plughole when level (approximately 5.28pints).

I am so f&#king close to finishing this 3 1/2 year project and am now being kicked in the nads with these problems. I'm not feeling well - where's the Tylenol?

hi dave
did you fix this Tranny leak?
I have exactly the same issue with my brand new TKO5 which just finished breakin period
it is leaking from/around the vent

i am not also willing to pull apart my build to send the tranny for repair ( it has one year warranty)
Old 11-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,789 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Well, you should start a new thread about your problem and specifically not listen to the people in this thread. The TKO uses ATF. Using manual tyranny fluid will foam up and bubble out the vent. Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:04 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 783 Likes on 535 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Do NOT use ATF ! Use Pennzoil Synchromesh !!!!
Old 11-07-2020, 09:16 PM
rubilahmadi
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Factoid
Well, you should start a new thread about your problem and specifically not listen to the people in this thread. The TKO uses ATF. Using manual tyranny fluid will foam up and bubble out the vent. Welcome to the forum.
i am actually using ATF during break in period. I am planning to use GM synchromesh fluid as recommended by manual. This leak is with ATF
Old 11-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,789 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

That is the right approach, sounds like your vent is stuck open.

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec TKO 600 Trans Fluid Leaking from Vent

Old 11-07-2020, 09:26 PM
rubilahmadi
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Factoid
That is the right approach, sounds like your vent is stuck open.
is there any method/trick to fix it without removing the whole transmission?

what is going to happen if I leave it as it is and watch the fluid level
Old 11-07-2020, 11:32 PM
DONR
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

or

OilCaution:

I installed a TREMEC transmission a couple of years ago. I used Silversports complete package, Transmission, Clutch, pressure plate, bellhousing, and driveshaft. I had a lingering oil leak at the back of my transmission I could not detect. I initially replaced the tail housing seal. Drove the car several miles. I still had oil on my crossmember. I was ready to try anything so I decided to check the drive shaft yoke. I use some RTV on the new driveshaft yoke I installed when I installed the TREMEC. The driveshaft come from Silversport. I took the front yoke loose from the driveshaft and put the RTV inside the loop of the yoke where the shaft was welded to the yoke. That fixed my oil leak.
I just wanted to share my issue after installing my TREMEC. I used Pennzoil Synchromesh oil.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:27 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

For mine, the TKO 600 older version speedometer cable's crimp from the connector to the black outside shielding is leaking. I read some people have added a o ring to inside of the adapter to prevent the oil from leaking into the speedometer cable. I had the TKO's fluid drained and refilled and was preparing to have the rear seal replaced, but my mechanic said it was the speedometer cable causing the leak and not the rear seal. The amount of fluid still in the TKO was fine. It still leaks but I adjusted the cable's position so that leak will go on the floor and not on the exhaust. If I'm correct the senor and speedometer cable is now two items. Mine is both speedometer and sensor as one piece. I need to either replace the speedometer sensor / cable or add the o-ring also need to correct the gear since my speedometer is about 10% off when I'm up for the task.

Last edited by irwiny; 11-09-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Tremec TKO 600 Trans Fluid Leaking from Vent