C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

54 w/o engine, restore or resto-mod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:37 PM
mdc1fun
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 54 w/o engine, restore or resto-mod?

If you had a 1954 Corvette but at some point during its life a 327 was installed and the original engine was lost, would you create a resto-mod or search out a numbers correct engine and trans to restore to original?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How correct and original is the rest of the car? If mostly then I would atleast put some feelers out and see if I hit anything with the right date codes but after a couple years of driving it as is if I still hadn't found a correct powertrain I'd say screw it
Old 08-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was spending all of the time and money restoring a car, I would do it the way I wanted to do it. If you want a restomod that is what I would build....if you want a restored car build it that way. If you start a project and don't build it the way you want to then it won't be as fun or as rewarding. As far as investment goes....go look what restomods are bringing vs restored cars....BUT that being said as with ALL customs over the years its a fad and will go to the way side as something better comes out where original cars will always be worth something. But if you are building it to sell..I would hands down build a restomod, drive it and enjoy it and get it sold before the something better comes out.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I have no desire to own a Corvette that handles like a 40 year old truck and is as slow as a 30 year old mini-van, I would chose the resto-mod route.

What's the point of a restoration on it if you don't have the original motor?

My $.02.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally, I would put it back original. A restoration (TFP) Typical Factory Production engine can be used and pass NCRS/BG judging if done correctly. It's done all the time.

If you build a quality retro rod, you'll have as much, if not more in the car than if you build it to original.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Duntov 54
Pro

Please fill out your profile. Here is a 54 resto mod with a 327 for an example.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

That is one SWEET 54! I have never been a fan of the 53-55s myself but that car is sexy! I just changed my screen background for the first time in prob 4 years with that pic!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM
gschaerer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Restore, Restore, Restore. Retromods go out of style but a faithfully restored '54 will bring tears to folks eyes and give you a permanent grin.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

If it were mine, I go half way between.
I'd round up a 261 truck engine (same family as the 235 up through 1962) and a 3 carb setup with the Corvette dual ex manifold.
I'd round up a COMPLETE 56-57 brake/clutch pedal and linkage setup and make it into a manual tranny car with either a 4sp such as a Muncie, or a 66-later fully synchronized 3sp. I'd swap out the 54 rear end assembly and install a 60-62 complete rearend with the traction bars and rear sway bar and install a 3.08 posi center section. I'd also swap in a 60-62 front sway bar.
I'd build up the 261 into a very healthy engine and add all the 54 style shielding and chrome valve cover with the 54 style twin pot air cleaner. No, it would not have the torque output of a later V8, but with the 3.08 gear, it would run down the Interstate at 80mph all day long. Those old 6cyl engine were tough, durable, and properly built, they were excellent engines. Plus, NOTHING sounds like an old 6cyl Chevy engine with a FULL split dual exhaust manifold.
You ask, that's the way I'd go.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were mine and even if it still had the original engine I would pull it out and restomod it. I can't see driving a Corvette with no horsepower that stops and drives like an old truck. Actually if it was original I would sell it and get something else. To me your position is perfect because it already is missing the original stuff you have the good fortune to be able to build one of the nicest looking Corvettes into a great driving and performing car. You may even like it so much you won't sell it so it won't matter what its worth.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Wow, you guys are harsh with the performance and handling comments

Maybe my other vehicles like my Trans Am and Ducati spoil me but I sure don't own a C1 to handle well or perform well, that's what my other toys are for. If it's fairly complete and original aside from the engine, why destroy it and make it something it wasn't intended on being by design.

On the other hand, be my guest, the fewer stock C1s there are, the more mine is worth

I think he needs to provide allot more info before we can suggest which route...
Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Originally Posted by 92GTA
Wow, you guys are harsh with the performance and handling comments

Maybe my other vehicles like my Trans Am and Ducati spoil me but I sure don't own a C1 to handle well or perform well, that's what my other toys are for. If it's fairly complete and original aside from the engine, why destroy it and make it something it wasn't intended on being by design.

On the other hand, be my guest, the fewer stock C1s there are, the more mine is worth

I think he needs to provide allot more info before we can suggest which route...
\
I can't believe you think he would DESTROY the car if he restomoded it. I don't think C2 cars are the ultimate in handling and performance but they can be made to out perform and out handle the Trans Am if thats the goal. The thing is by bringing it back to original all you gain is monetary value. Why not just buy gold, or stocks or real estate any of which would probably be a better investment than another original corvette that it isn't to much fun to actually drive. If he wants a C1 the best thing he could do is buy one that someone is motivated to sell and sit on it if making a profit his his goal. If he wants one because he likes the way they look and wants to drive it the restomod is the way to go, he probably can even make a good profit on it that way because he wont be paying rediculous prices for original parts. Good restomods are bringing huge money and there is hardly ever one for sale.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Originally Posted by 32361ARTHUR
\
I can't believe you think he would DESTROY the car if he restomoded it. I don't think C2 cars are the ultimate in handling and performance but they can be made to out perform and out handle the Trans Am if thats the goal. The thing is by bringing it back to original all you gain is monetary value. Why not just buy gold, or stocks or real estate any of which would probably be a better investment than another original corvette that it isn't to much fun to actually drive. If he wants a C1 the best thing he could do is buy one that someone is motivated to sell and sit on it if making a profit his his goal. If he wants one because he likes the way they look and wants to drive it the restomod is the way to go, he probably can even make a good profit on it that way because he wont be paying rediculous prices for original parts. Good restomods are bringing huge money and there is hardly ever one for sale.
Except I have $15K+ just in suspension mods in my Trans Am

Anyway, I use destroy loosely. I mean some people hack up original fibreglass to customize, some people work with it. Whos to say which method he will use? You?

I'll say again, we need more info on the current state of the car. If he wanted to restmod he would not have made this thread, it would have been a done decision. It's still up in the air for him and we, none of us, know why at this point.

Besides, I always play devils advocate
Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

The word DESTROY is a powerful word to describe a modified car so I couldn't help but to comment on it. Also to change something that "wasn't intended to be by design" does not automaticly make it a bad thing. You spent 15000 dollars on modifying your Trans Am suspension, hopefully you don't think you've DESTROYED yours by making it something it "wasn't intended to be by design."
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I think it's odd that the simple act of replacing the engine at some point in the past, somehow directs the car towards a resto mod path.

If the OP wishes to restomod the car, so be it. Depending on who you ask that means anything from installing a bigger motor, to replacing the entire chassis and suspension and saving only elements of the original body.

If the question is "Has the loss of the original engine made this car a value-less restoration candidate", the answer would be "Absolutely not!" I would bet that far far more than 50% of the restored corvettes in existence, do not have their original engines anymore.

What came to mind when the OP started this thread, was an original and intact 54 but with a 327 instead of the straight 6.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Originally Posted by 32361ARTHUR
The word DESTROY is a powerful word to describe a modified car so I couldn't help but to comment on it. Also to change something that "wasn't intended to be by design" does not automaticly make it a bad thing. You spent 15000 dollars on modifying your Trans Am suspension, hopefully you don't think you've DESTROYED yours by making it something it "wasn't intended to be by design."
I agree that I have but a 92 Trans Am will never be as collectable as a C1. Apple and organges.

For example, if the rest of this 54 is all original and survivor status (aside from the engine/trany), making a resto-mod would be destroying it in a way. There are too many restored cars which are kit cars due to so many repro parts.

It's all semantics and speculation though until we know more
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

When Corvettes were only 15 years old they weren't very collectible either.

Get notified of new replies

To 54 w/o engine, restore or resto-mod?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Duntov 54
Pro

Originally Posted by Sean Dunshee
That is one SWEET 54! I have never been a fan of the 53-55s myself but that car is sexy! I just changed my screen background for the first time in prob 4 years with that pic!
Thanks for the great complement! Here's a few more;

Last edited by Duntov 54; 08-31-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM
63 grandsport
Instructor

Default 54

retro-rod
Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Duntov 54
Please fill out your profile. Here is a 54 resto mod with a 327 for an example.

The best looking 54 I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: 54 w/o engine, restore or resto-mod?