C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:53 PM
beekey buzzard
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 67 door panel removal

the door pull will not open the door, I have to reach outside to the door handle to open the door, I assume I have to remove the door panel and check the mechanism. my question is how to get the door lock and the window crank handles off ?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

most likely the rod fell off somewhere. you will need to get the door handle removal tool found at any auto parts store. there is a horse show clip on the back of the handle that has to be undone. same for the lock **** and vent crank.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:54 PM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine did the samething a few years back, the cross mechanism that holds the rod was worn out, ordered one from CC, you'll see them in the catalog or online. You'll have to get a window crank removal tool and take all the philips screws out around the door panel, pretty easy fix if that's the problem.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

The window crank clips are removed in the horizontal position. You can't tell if it comes out from the front or back. The lock **** is a whole different animal. I have used a hair dryer too soften the vinyl and use something with a hook on the end too get behind the **** and pull the clip out either front or back. Don't forget, you have screws on the front and underside of the panel. Once all is undone, lift outward and up. Once the panel is off you should have plastic type of water barrier. This can be replaced with a new one from one of the vendors here on the forum. Next you should see the long rod from the pull **** attaching to the interior mechinism. This may be your problem. It should have a special clip on the end. If not, it's available. Good luck! Dennis
Old 09-04-2011, 05:37 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You might find this article by Forum member Dave Zuberer of interest.
http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/body_&_frame

If you don't find anything obvious wrong, such as disconnected, your problem may be shown in photo below. This is a very common problem in these old latches.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 PM
still cruzin
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine did the same thing! Turns out the lithium grease I used 12 years ago dried up (turned to Stone) Took both doors apart along with the latches! Blasted them with carb cleaner and reinstalled them with new grease.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To 67 door panel removal

Quick Reply: 67 door panel removal