C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'64 windshield is in!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:36 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default '64 windshield is in!

Along with vettejam's similar windshield thread currently making the rounds I would like to add my windshield install experience to the mix:

As well as some questions that were answered directly in other windshield install threads, reading through the archives of previous windshield installations was a big help in getting started. Ditto for the reading through the procedure in the '63 Corvette Service Manual.

With the pinchweld frame cleaned, rubber gasket installed on the windshield, everything is ready to go. But before getting started a big concern is whether or not to install the lower reveal trim first, then install the windshield/gasket combination as has been mentioned in other windshield install threads.

Here's what I did:
The original factory reveal molding trim clips were in good shape so these were reused. The lower reveal molding was installed in the clips, dry. The adjoining side frame vertical moldings were also installed to make sure the lower reveal molding was centered, and where it needed to be. Earlier reference marks locating the lower reveal molding before removal had (for whatever reason) disappeared.

As a check to see how much difference there was in the gap between the windshield gasket support frame the rubber gasket installs into, and the installed dry fitted lower reveal trim, this was done:
Between the pinchweld flange and installed lower reveal molding, the measurement was 3/4 inches. After removing the reveal trim and installing the rubber gasket dry fitted with windshield installed into the windshield support frame, the gasket width also measured 3/4 inches. With a similar 3/4 inch measurement between the dry fitted reveal trim gap and installed rubber gasket width, it looked much easier installing the reveal trim after the rubber gasket was installed with windshield set in place.

At first I had it in mind to leave the lower reveal trim in place after caulking this area and the rest of the pinchweld frame with 8509 caulking, then install the windshield/rubber gasket combination afterwards. But with the measurement between the installed lower reveal molding and the pinchweld flange, and the dry fitted rubber gasket/windshield thickness being so close to one another, it seemed to me that installing the lower reveal trim after the rubber gasket/windshield combination was installed in the support frame would work. The idea was to insure that the windshield/gasket combination would be sealed up with 8509 in the windshield support frame as best as possible set in place, without having to work it around installed lower reveal trim.

So, that's what was done. The pinchweld frame was caulked with 8509 all around. My daughter helped me set the windshield/gasket combination in place. After centering up the windshield/gasket combination side-to-side, the 'cord trick' was used to pull the rubber over the pinchweld flange. A pick with a 90 degree end helped pull the rubber over the flange while at the same time also pulling on the cord.

To lube the rubber gasket while it was being pulled over the pinchweld flange, golf grip solvent was used. This stuff worked pretty good. I had it anyway so that's what was used. It was also used to install the windshield into the rubber gasket.

Installed in the windshield support frame the windshield itself was a bit off center side to side after pulling the rubber over the pinchweld flange. In order for the side vertical moldings to install properly it needed to be re-centered up. A wrecking bar with a 90 degree end was used to CAREFULLY add a bit pressure from the side of the windshield support frame and rubber to help move the windshield just enough to re-center the works in the pinchweld frame. More 8509 caulking was added around the edge and corners of the rubber gasket to seal up any gaps.

Now, the acid test: Install the lower reveal molding! .. Starting on the left side the trim molding was inserting into the clips pretty good until about halfway along. At that point a heat gun was used (just enough) to help soften the rubber a bit. A closed fist 'hammer' got the rest of the reveal molding installed. The reveal molding installed nice and firm against the rubber gasket. Man, I was one happy camper! ..

I think the key to having things work out so well and having the lower reveal molding install properly was using a Corvette Rubber windshield gasket. Perhaps a bit of luck, too. Just the same it sure helps to have the right stuff! ..
Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by mrg; 08-14-2023 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:12 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Thanks for the excellent write up.

That should be in the sticky.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM
mrichard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Golf Grip Solvent

Nice write-up. I really like the the way you used the golf grip solvent to lube the rubber. This stuff works great and it evaporates after the fact. The stuff I use from Golfsmith is water based. I suspect that this was the secret to your being able to re-center the windshield without breaking it.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To '64 windshield is in!

Quick Reply: '64 windshield is in!