C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is it me or are all Accel Ign Wires junk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 10:53 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it me or are all Accel Ign Wires junk?

When I was attempting to fire my 66 454HO BB up for the first time I "settled" for a set of Accel ignition wires (generic set - blue in color). This past weekend I had a misfire develop, checked all the wires and found one of the wire plugs decided to remain in the dist. cap (believed to be the culprit). I have now ordered a set of MSD wires to replace the Accel's. Are Accel's that bad or is it my imagination? :bb
Old 04-30-2002, 11:26 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Is it me or are all Accel Ign Wires junk? (Denney)

I've had the SAME thing happen with the shielded blue Accel wires, but they replaced them free under the lifetime warranty. They had replaced them once previously under warranty. I have two sets of Accel wires, so I always have a good set on the engine for the week or two while Accel replaces the other set (about every year or two). They are the only nonreproduction shielded wires I can find. Only the original GM BB shielded wires held up better (but they are no longer available).
Old 05-01-2002, 11:42 PM
Corvette Cowboy
Instructor

Years back, when I was hot rodding my '72 coupe, I went through more sets of ignition wires than I can remember. I tried Accel and all the other brands with none being any better than the other. I finally went back to the stock wires and had no more problems. This is true of alot of other artermarket ignition gadgets. Stock seems to work the best. At least for me.
By the way, my '58 has a transplanted '67 327/350 HP engine in it. It still runs fine with the ORIGINAL '67 Delco Packard wire set .
Old 05-02-2002, 06:25 AM
tapio
Racer

Yep, they are junk. Stick to the stock wires and your troubles will be history.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Katz
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

I have a set of Yellow "performance" Accels on my '58. They work pretty well, but when I had to pull the wires and put them back on (pulled a head over the winter) some of the housing/plug rubber has broken off. The wires are still good and work, just some of that rubber is gone :(

I had some nice Delcos in there, but they were so old the sheilding was shot and they were arcing.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:32 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Did you buy the general one-size fits all, you cut and crimp set?
I have had the similar experiance with them as well. I put a set off accell 8MM replacements on my 65. (I don't have the part number handy). They fit awsome and were all pre-crimped with the correct ends already on. I painfully hid them in the stock housings and made a speacial attempt to keep them from touching anything by shrouding then in 1/4" wire loom and attaching it with wire ties. Much like the stock OEM chevy wires used today. Since my car sees no rain and I don't get the engine dirty enough to require the use of a pressure washer I am not concearned about water trapping between the loom and the wire. The wire loom takes the blunt of the heat and you can note were the loom is getting disformed and note this as a "hot-spot". And then you can make provisions for that area. I have seen people install wires and just let them lay on the exhaust and or all wound up together. Proper routing, and care in insulating can be all the differance in the world. I have had great results with the Accell wires I have on now. And from any angle you cannot even see any yellow wires.
Mark
Old 05-02-2002, 09:15 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

You have mail!
Old 05-02-2002, 10:42 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is it me or are all Accel Ign Wires junk? (ghostrider20)

Mark, I did indeed buy the "one size fits all" blue set (what can I say, I was in a pinch to hear this beast rumble to life :) ). Since I have crimped wires before, I am pretty confident that it wasn't me, and it took time before these started acting up (a few months). It just seems to me that perhaps the crimp plugs or insulation are crappy enough to change characteristics such that this type of thing happens. I think I have learned my lesson... :yesnod:
Old 05-03-2002, 10:03 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Yeah, I am not sure either. I spent an ample amount of time crimping a set of those one day and they lasted about 6 months. I don't have a special crimping tool, just normal pliers and electrical crimpers. Neither worked the best. Maybe this has something to do with it. Those factory crimps are pretty tight! Will see how long these accell factory replacements last. This will be my second summer with them.
Mark
Old 05-03-2002, 01:46 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received my MSD wires today and hope to install them this evening (we get to go from Blue to Red, whoopie!) IMHO, the MSD's ~LOOK~ like they are vastly superior to the ACCELs. Also, they are 8.5 mm versus the 8mm ACCELs, which should improve their breakdown strength to boot (no pun intended). :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Is it me or are all Accel Ign Wires junk?

Quick Reply: Is it me or are all Accel Ign Wires junk?