C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Wicked and mental!!! I love it! Great build!!!! Hope to see more pics of the finished product.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,550 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Nice job. It looks great
Old 09-08-2011, 05:00 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

only one word comes to my mind AWESOME!!!! very nice build.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great build and excellent photos of your progress. You really put your nose to the grindstone and made quick work of it. You will have a blast with it I'm sure......

R/
Jeff
Old 09-08-2011, 06:12 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Okay okay!! I'll give ya $3600 plus two discount coupons for a happy mile at Mickey D's

What a tonne of work dude,nice nice job!!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Really cool build. One thing concerns me though. Is there a rear driveshaft loop that I do not see. The rear ujoint should it ever let go looks like it will tear right into the fuel tank. I have considered the Factory Five also but like GM products a little better. Plus the Cobra is a real short wheel base car. It comes around in a hurry.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 PM
catchme76
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys!! These pics don't do this paint justice! Everything was taken with my iPhone. I'm going to do a photoshoot in the next few weeks and really try to capture it!
I've been driving it hard! I have put 6k miles on it. I really took the effort to torque everything down and blue or red loctite every nut and bolt. Makes a huge difference.

A driveshaft loop would be a much needed addition..I'll check summit and see if the have and universal type loops..or something I could modify!

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my photobucket account! Just got a Bandwidth warning and I've only had the thread up a day!
Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 AM
KLRBEE2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is an awesome project you have accomplished...very commendable! I like the fact that after several tries with the paint, you learned the process and did it yourself, and ended up with a better end result Also very commendable that you learned how to saw and fitted the interior yourself I did like the first set of wheels better...I think it would have given it more of a complete badass look rather than badass/corporate look...jmho! All in all...this car
Old 09-09-2011, 06:27 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it just me, I would love to see the pics but I only see the photo bucket icon, can't see any pictures. Sounds like a great build

Jeff
Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM
catchme76
Pro

Wasn't just you! I had to upgrade my photobucket account..all these pics on all these threads ate up all the bandwidth! Try looking now
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 PM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

What a project. Looks great. Love the car color and wheel combination.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:18 AM
catchme76
Pro

One thing I forgot to mention was the first painter recommended an interior guy. After the car sat for a month and a half and only the back carpet had been done(which only required one seam) I told him not to worry about it and I picked up my car.. Well I Forgot to pick up my interior window trim pieces which I had spent hours on fiberglassing..I head over to pick them up and low and behold they have been broken into about 6 pieces..guess someone wasn't happy!

Here is the interior window trim after I RE-FIBERGLASSED! I cut three pieces of leather and top stitched them together and then glued them on

For the doors I hand bent an aluminum trim ring to fit in the grooves of the door. Gives the appearance of a door panel but still keeps the race feel and weighs nothing. Notice the strap operated windows. I freakin love those things! I want every car I get from now own to have those ha!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 AM
catchme76
Pro

I decided to make the ram air hood functional so ive been working on the filter box. The hood side is quite easybut making a box out of nothing and into a shape that fits the parameters is aggravating. My first attempt didnt fit well. But my second more cylindrical style fits perfect! I'm using a 7"-4" velocity stack for the intake..it's the silver bellmouth looking thing..it will be located in the airbox.

First airbox

Forming the second airbox. I ended up getting a shorter filter that worked perfect

I'm just making the airbox look good right now. Everything is ready to bolt up. 1/8" aluminum will be bolt to the underside of the hood to make the ram air chamber. Plus I left the underside of the hood unpainted in order to make all the ram air parts, so I will need to paint that as well
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Absolutely badass.

Great presentation.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 AM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be commended for your talents as a car builder. That GS is AWESOME!! Thanks for the documentation/presentation as well!!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Amazing Job you have done
Even when I was younger I wouldn't have the patience for a job like that.
You should be Proud of yourself. My hat is off to you!!!!!
Rick
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You car looks terrific!

I appreciate you posting all the build pictures and any Videos you have time to make and post.

I'm envious I'm not as far a long as you.

Take care,

Ty O'Neal

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)

Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 PM
catchme76
Pro

Thanks guys!!! Man I can remember when they delivered the car and I put it in the shop, next to the huge stack of boxes full of parts...with an engine and a transmission and suspension laying over to the side..SQUARE ONE! haha..I can remember thinking...what have I gotten myself into!?..but you cant be overwhelmed by the project..just deal with the individual tasks at hand..

I would work on the car so long some nights, drinking 5 hour energy until I would be completely dizzy and uncoordinated I had to make myself stop! I did all this while working a 40+hour job and playing 2-3 music gigs a week..I now know that caffeine is my ally!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by catchme76
Thanks guys!!! Man I can remember when they delivered the car and I put it in the shop, next to the huge stack of boxes full of parts...with an engine and a transmission and suspension laying over to the side..SQUARE ONE! haha..I can remember thinking...what have I gotten myself into!?..but you cant be overwhelmed by the project..just deal with the individual tasks at hand..

I would work on the car so long some nights, drinking 5 hour energy until I would be completely dizzy and uncoordinated I had to make myself stop! I did all this while working a 40+hour job and playing 2-3 music gigs a week..I now know that caffeine is my ally!
================================

I know this may sound campy, but my Grandmother always said when looking at a very difficult, time consuming project,

"Life is Hard by the Yard, but a cinch by the Inch!"

This has Always reminded me of car building. Slow and steady.

Ty
Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by catchme76

Great job! I figured based on the speed of the project you were doing this full time.....not working a reg job full time plus the build! Awesome job! Now drive the heck out of it!!! !

Quick Reply: 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)