C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by catchme76
Ty- late response! For whatever reason I don't get my email update when someone posts. To answer your questions:

I ended up staying with 275s up front, but I did run 335s in the rear. Bought 1/2" wider inner barrels for my ccws.

I just purchased a set of iSS Forged wheels which will be going on in the next month, so the ccws will be up for sale. The new wheels will be 11.5" up front and 12.5 rear. My current setup is 10" front and 12" rear.

Steering is a stock 96 grand sport rack. I have no issues with rubbing and the new wheels will clear easily as well.

New FM-10R wheels. Should be ready by the end of February!

======================
Wow!

Pure Car ****!

With your new wheels what are the BS measurements you used?

What tires will go on them?

How much for your other wheels?

Your build is beautiful, I'll have to knock the top off on mine just to park in the same lot as you guys.

Keep the Video's coming, the sound is music.

BTW: How are you side view mirrows working? Most I have seen are up on the "A" pillar somewhere.

Thanks, for sharing.

Ty O'Neal
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

At Daytona:

What kind of top speeds were you running?

What kind of lift did you get if any?

Other than the brakes, were there any other issues with high temps?

Were the tire you were using 200 tread ware?

What was the BS on your new wheels, and the tire size, they look great?

Did you experience any push or looseness during any of the turns?

I love the shocks you choose I have heard plenty of great things about them. I was going to run a set myself since they are so easy to adjust. I'm glad you liked them.

What are the rear gears in your car?

Would you have wanted anything different either up or down?

Are you running a std. T-56 Gearing, or the Close ratio?

I really commend you bring you car out there and running with those guys. I understand they are pretty competitive and talented.

As far as I know your the first GS to join the competition?

Did they have any issues with the Mongoose Vette being considered a "Kit Car" instead of a "Born Vette"?

Any advice, or additional though after this experience?

You mentioned doing something to the corvette brakes regarding "insulating" the cylinders? What does it take to do that withe the stock Calipers? I've seen brake caliper with them installed (From Wilwood) but I haven't heard of someone being able to do it with the stock corvette brakes.

Sorry about all the questions, but:

a) You have more experience with the Ultimate Street Car Series than anyone I know with a GS.

b) You drove against, Detroit Speed, "Linkenfelter?", Ride Tech, Schwartz, as well as other who did this from the start. Since most of our cars are pretty similar What setting did you find that "Worked" on you car in each event? (This would probably make a good separate thread as far as setting our cars up)

When the group (Ultimate Street Car Challege) came to the D/FW area I went and watched them, and considering they were on 200 wear tires, they hauled *** in a variety of car and trucks. I would really like to see any of us who decide to run "pseudo competitively" against these folks, have a real good showing.

It's very cool to have venues for the average guy where he can do in a Grand Sport what basically wasn't allowed when they were originally built.

I guess I have love these cars for so long that I always want them to show well against everything they come up against.

Do did a great job and I hope I can do as well when I have the chance.

I look forward to your answers to my questions, if you don't mind sharing your knowledge.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 PM
catchme76
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tires will go on them? I have enough barrels to run 11" wheels all around and put on 315s slicks. I was running 335rear and 275fronts

How much for your other wheels? I will probably keep the silver/polished CCW Classics and put track slicks on them

What kind of top speeds were you running? 140+mph

What kind of lift did you get if any? No noticeable lift, but may have been different without the high banks at Daytona. The G-force at 140 in those banks was an incredible experience. Definitely had to get used to the feeling

Other than the brakes, were there any other issues with high temps? With the Daytona high banks and 105 degree temps I didn't push my car to the ragged edge, so I never really saw any high temps.

Were the tire you were using 200 tread ware? BFG Rivals 200 treadwear

What was the BS on your new wheels, and the tire size, they look great? I think it is 8.25" on the rear, but Im running a 1/4" spacer just to be safe.

Did you experience any push or looseness during any of the turns? Not really. I just had to use gearing a little more once the brake fluid boiled. The grip on my car is incredible with the Ridetech coilovers, wide tires, and Banski Rear suspension rod setup. I know the cars limits pretty well but Im still learning

I love the shocks you choose I have heard plenty of great things about them. I was going to run a set myself since they are so easy to adjust. I'm glad you liked them. These coilovers are incredible. Shoot me a pm if you are thinking about getting a set.

What are the rear gears in your car? 3.36 rear gear

Would you have wanted anything different either up or down? I really like the gearing of my car. Its a good blend for the Ultimate Street Car

Are you running a std. T-56 Gearing, or the Close ratio? 2006 GTO M12/T-56

I really commend you bring you car out there and running with those guys. I understand they are pretty competitive and talented. Those guys are the real deal! It was great to watch them run and get to run against them!

As far as I know your the first GS to join the competition? I think so. I don't really consider my car your "standard" GS. Not really the standard paint scheme, wheels, or interior. The car gets an incredible amount of attention, which makes the massive amount of work I have put in, totally worth it!

Did they have any issues with the Mongoose Vette being considered a "Kit Car" instead of a "Born Vette"? I ran as an exhibition. They do not allow reproductions or "kits" or anything that does not have an original manufacturers VIN plate to compete for points or the title. I talked with USCA and they may start a kit car/reproduction class next year. My argument was that Mongoose is unlike most all other reproduction/kit cars because it is an official licensed GM product. No different from building a complete Goodmark Camaro or Firebird etc.

Any advice, or additional though after this experience? Get out there and RACE! These cars are incredible and need to be driven.

You mentioned doing something to the corvette brakes regarding "insulating" the cylinders? What does it take to do that withe the stock Calipers? I've seen brake caliper with them installed (From Wilwood) but I haven't heard of someone being able to do it with the stock corvette brakes. The biggest thing is running the proper pad compound and fluid. Im not for sure about the insulators, but thought someone at Daytona mentioned insulators that were available

Sorry about all the questions, but:

a) You have more experience with the Ultimate Street Car Series than anyone I know with a GS.

b) You drove against, Detroit Speed, "Linkenfelter?", Ride Tech, Schwartz, as well as other who did this from the start. Since most of our cars are pretty similar What setting did you find that "Worked" on you car in each event? (This would probably make a good separate thread as far as setting our cars up) I continuously changed the shock settings and tested tire pressures with each different event. The general "setup" I would say, would be my Ridetech coilovers and spring rates, brakes, etc.

When the group (Ultimate Street Car Challege) came to the D/FW area I went and watched them, and considering they were on 200 wear tires, they hauled *** in a variety of car and trucks. I would really like to see any of us who decide to run "pseudo competitively" against these folks, have a real good showing. I will definitely say the car had wayyyy more in it, but I did hold back quite a bit. I obviously didn't want to break or blow anything if I couldn't technically win. I did, however, want to run hard enough to make a good showing

It's very cool to have venues for the average guy where he can do in a Grand Sport what basically wasn't allowed when they were originally built.

I guess I have love these cars for so long that I always want them to show well against everything they come up against.

Do did a great job and I hope I can do as well when I have the chance.

Thanks so much and keep the questions coming!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 PM
catchme76
Pro

I meant to mention that the weekend of May 30-June 1st I competed in the Chevy High Performance Nationals. We drove the car to the Chevy High Performance Nationals 385 miles, paid the entry, pulled up to the autoX, and beat on the car for two solid days. Packed up our things and our trophy and drove 385 miles back home. Over 800 mile weekend including track time and food runs..

I brought home 1st place in the open autocross competition!

Brian Finch took my car for a few spins around the course. He is an incredible driver and gave me some great advice on my setup. Johnny C came out and pulled data on my autox runs, since he wasn't racing his bad *** LS miata. I let Johnny C make a few runs in the GS too!

Scary moment! A cone wedged itself between the block and the headers and began to melt. I thought it was going to catch fire! Luckily I was able to get it free! It was given to me by the people at JetHot as a trophy

Last edited by catchme76; 06-10-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

You have one of my Favorite GS Cars. Too Awesome for words.

Time to build another!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 PM
catchme76
Pro

Revfan-Thanks! Im actually starting a Grand Sport build for a guy out of Illinois. LS7.. Viper T56.. Should be good stuff!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Im actually starting a Grand Sport build for a guy out of Illinois. LS7..
No you aren't.... cause if you were, there would be a build thread I'd be following!
(addendum: Your builds need more than just a thread, you need a website, as it surely won't be the last one you build. If I had the cash, I'd get one from you too!)

Post link please!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:00 PM
catchme76
Pro

This past weekend I raced at the American Street Car Series, Peach State Muscle Car challenge at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The event was also a Goodguys Qualifier. One of the best autoX courses I've driven! The ASCS guys did an incredible job! If you have the chance to make it to one of these events DO IT! The course almost took a minute and a half to run! That's a long time to hold your breath

All that being said, I won the invite to the Goodguys Finals Autocross Shootout in Scottsdale, AZ! I also won the King of the Corvettes award. Great time with great people!

I will say it again, get out to these events! Your suspension is never gonna be perfect, your engine is never gonna make enough power, stop waiting, get out and drive what you have and have a good time!

Brian Finch gave me some great advice. Dude is an incredible driver and knows his stuff. Builds great cars as well.

Ridetech suspension all the way!

Some carnage from the race. Felt a vibration, ran one more lap which was my fastest lap and found a broken U-joint.

Luckily we were right down from Summit Racing. Big thanks to everyone that helped get me back on the ground ready to rock.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:53 PM
catchme76
Pro

This may have been covered before but I haven't seen a specific thread with pictures so here you go...

After looking around for 1996 C4 Corvette front wheel hubs I found they were quite expensive. Anywho, in the depths of the interwebz I found a thread about using Fbody hubs on a C4. To note I don't know if they work on any other models other than 91-96 C4 and more specifically I am only knowledgeable on the 96.

The only real difference is the Fbody hub bolt holes are threaded. Another note is I am not running ABS, so I can't make a claim on whether the reluctor ring has the same teeth or if the plug is identical. I'm just some guy that happened to buy some 2002 Fbody Moog front wheel bearing hubs and install them.

My car is a 1963 Grand Sport with a C4 suspension and a lot of other custom goodies. Im running 315/30/18s up front and 335/30/18s in the rear, so if the bearings are crap I will find out real quick.

The car.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:43 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on your latest wins, very cool. Your grand sport looks great out on the track.
I'm also hoping they let tribute cars run in the usca next year.

Jeff
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,521 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Thanks for the information about the F-body hubs. That's good to know.

Couple of observations/questions:

1. It appears the mounting holes on the original hubs have been enlarged. What size bolts were holding them on?

2. For the way you use your car, you might consider adding a jam nut to the exposed threads of the bolts holding those F-body hubs.

3. What did the new hubs cost?

Jim
Old 08-03-2014, 01:49 PM
catchme76
Pro

Jeff- Thanks! Yeah I spoke with Jimi Day at Optima and he was really hoping they would have a class for us. My biggest argument was we are a GM licensed product unlike 99.9 percent of the "kit car" market. We are reproductions, no different from someone who buys all new sheet metal from Goodmark and then puts in a race tube frame. I understand keeping out a complete race car designed kit car like the SLC coupe or the Ultima GTR. My car has AC/Heat, full interior, full insulation, sound system, locking doors, you name it. I have over 22k miles on this thing. I'm building something for next year though

1. It appears the mounting holes on the original hubs have been enlarged. What size bolts were holding them on? Not that Im aware of but those are the original hubs that came on the used the suspension I purchased so who knows. The bolts threaded right into the fbody hubs though

2. For the way you use your car, you might consider adding a jam nut to the exposed threads of the bolts holding those F-body hubs. Thats definitely happening! Im just gonna thread the jam nut on with a touch of red thread locker

3. What did the new hubs cost?
I just picked up a set of MOOG hubs from summit for about $115 I think. There were even cheaper options and then of course there is always the SKF route. I've heard great things about the SKF hubs. I know MOOG makes good stuff, so we shall see how long they last.
Jim
Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 AM
GTS34
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catchme76
A few issues along the way..
Mongoose normally uses a rope style gasket..which was going to take a whole lot of work for me to put in myself(tried for two days) they make it work but no glass company would install it for me..sooo..I found a gasket that was wide enough and would cover the body side…so I used betaprime and glued the windshield in..The first paint we used on the windshield didn’t stick even after I roughed up the edge of the windshield with a DA sander but the betaprime is where its at when painting a “frit” or blacked out edge on glass.

What gasket did you use for the windshield? I had the same experience and also glued the front windshield in and am looking for a similiar gasket now to cover it. thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 PM
catchme76
Pro

I used the same gasket I used on the rear window. You have to use BetaPrime to paint the inside edge of the window and create a frit for the glue to adhere to. Make sure and clean the window edge thoroughly with the cleaner beta prime recommends.

Originally Posted by GTS34
What gasket did you use for the windshield? I had the same experience and also glued the front windshield in and am looking for a similiar gasket now to cover it. thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Bill GS
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS34
MidAm told me to use a 63 Chevy truck windshield gasket.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 PM
appaloosa 0012
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What an awesome thread!

Been looking at this thread for a while, what a great inspiration!!
Thanks
Old 10-04-2014, 08:56 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I echo all the comments about your build well done. What color is that, looks close to cobalt grey?

Also any issues with the Bosch 044 fuel pump Thanks

Last edited by vstol; 10-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)

Old 10-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Beautiful car.

Just curious, during construction did you get a weight reading of the frame?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 PM
catchme76
Pro

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments!

69427-I didn't get a weight on the frame, but I can pick it up by myself and its easily moved around with two people. I know that doesnt help haha.

vstol-The color is BMW Black Sapphire Metallic. The Bosch 044 is an excellent pump. Personally, I would choose it over the Walbro any day.

The Goodguys Finals Shootout in Arizona is fast approaching! Since my win in Atlanta where I received the Finals invite, I have raced in several other events. I have been fighting terrible brake issues, essentially since last years Holley LS Fest 2013. I tried just about every C4 master cylinder and bias spring out there to try and get more rear brake in the car. I converted the rear C4 brakes to C5 internal ebrake rotors and c5 calipers using the Street Shop adapters.

I ran in Nashville at Run to Music City, an American Street Car Series event, where I placed 2nd in the Autocross. The brakes were so terrible it was almost comical when watching the go pro vids.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 PM
catchme76
Pro

The next race was Holley LS Fest. The field was extremely competitive. I ended up with a 3rd place finish overall out of 125 cars in the Grand Champion Competition, which consisted of AutoX, 3S Challenge, cruise(which included getting to lap the new NCM roadcourse!), and show and shine. Since I had one of the top 5 autox times I also competed in the Top 5 AutoX shootout. My rear brakes were non existent and I e-braked my way through the weekend. Pedal feel was terrible. The car would just lock up the fronts and slide through turns, so I had to completely change the way I attacked the course. It has been one of the most frustrating problems to solve!

Quick Reply: 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)