C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM
catchme76
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)

Well I finally got to build the one of the cars I have always wanted, a 1963 Corvette Grand Sport. Only 5 Grand Sports ever built..and I don’t have a million +.. I was just about to pull the trigger on Factory Five's Daytona Coupe, when I spotted a company in a magazine I was reading. I ran across Mongoose Motorsports and decided to give them a call. They were a lot pricier than Factory Five and really only sold an "advanced" kit. When I say advanced I'm talking about no instructions..just parts kinda kit..for advanced type builders..I had to find basically every nut and bolt, essentially just a body(straight out of the molds) and a frame... Mongoose normally builds “rollers” minus engine and trans or they build complete cars..They will also sell you any level from parts to a complete car....I wanted to build this car myself and they were really the only option…Superformance and Duntov..but those two are ridiculously pricey and don’t sell kits..
So I placed my order around the end of March and patiently awaited the delivery of my car…It just so happened that the “Fast and the Furious” franchise had also purchased about 11-12 cars, so this pushed my delivery date back a month or two(kinda cool my car was in the pack that was built for the movie, but “not” at the same time haha) While I was waiting I decided to purchase my engine and transmission..I kicked around and placed some bids on an LS6 and even played with the idea of an LS7 or LS3, but the LS2 was a good price and made good power..The car only weighs 2500 pounds so the LS2 would supply plenty of power..

I bought my suspension which was from a 96 Corvette with the bigger J55 brakes and the DANA 44 rear with 3.45 gears. Drove up to Atlanta to a guy that recycles Vettes..I mean you gotta take a pic of the KIA plant..

Last edited by catchme76; 04-14-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:16 AM
catchme76
Pro

Unfortunately for me GM decided to sue Mongoose…So I had to sweat it out and hope they didn’t put chains on the doors at Mongoose(while mongoose was holding MY MONEY!!)… All the while I was staying in contact with Mongoose who reassured me everything was fine…All the while Im still buying parts!!

Seats were out of a 2009 C6 vette..I looked at Pontiac Fiero seats..and some other vintage style seats but really liked the C6 seats..they fit very well in the 63 and look like they could have come with the car

Wheels arrived!! Wait a sec! that’s not the right color! Probably the best customer service out of this whole process!!…CCW had a link on their site showing pics of their wheels..unfortunately many of the pics were mis-labeled…Good looking wheels but not what I had in mind! They changed their website and paid for all the shipping..Super cool guys to work with!

Lucky for me a friend at work had a massive shop that he so graciously allowed me to build my car in..He and his dad have some very bad a$$ cars as well..

That kinda gets everyone up to speed..Im just gonna post pics now with blurbs on the process! ENJOY!

June! The car finally arrives!!

Had to take a seat

My lovely mother..the only time she will ever be behind the steering wheel..haha
Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 AM
catchme76
Pro

Alright now it’s time to get down to business! My friend Brock helped me get the body off right before he moved to Japan..It would basically be the only time during the whole build that I was given any assistance aside from putting the body back on..

Wheels are back!! CCW Classics.. I freakin love these things..

Time to paint the frame! POR15..Its the same stuff I used when I rebuilt my 76 vette(see sig to check out that build thread!) I covered the POR 15 in chassis coat black..had a slight brushed finish and at first I regretted brushing it on..but this car was being built to be driven hard and after the first 20 speed bumps you learn not to care

I rebuilt all the suspension parts with Urethane bushings/ball joints/bearings

Now it’s time for Assembly!!! This part was a breeze..mainly because of the previous work I have done on other cars.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM
catchme76
Pro

Welded up the roll bars they sent..came in 3 parts basically the main hoop..hoop kickers and kickers off the frame..

Ran into a problem with the headers..Stainless Werks makes a header for a certain C3 with LS motor chassis..i decided to give them a shot..they didn’t fit very well with the Trans Am style mount I used..So I had to do some fabrication and modify the motor mount setup.. 1”7/8 Stainless sidepipe headers

Geared up and ready to tackle the motor mounts!

Headers are on!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 AM
catchme76
Pro

Fuel system! Bosch 044 and two magnafuel filters..(initially had the pre and post filters swapped around)

First crank!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9ts8...e_gdata_player

And now! My pops gave me a hand lowering the body back on the car..We are at about a month a month into the build at this point.

Trans tunnel hitting the shifter housing

A few wires to route…

Quick disconnect fitting for my gauges.. I recommend these!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM
catchme76
Pro

Seat tracks for the C6 were too heavy and too bulky..I needed to drop the seats down so I opted for some universal slider mounts

First test drive!! Car was road ready after only 2 months!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppIC...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftwh0...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2boyV...e_gdata_player

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM
catchme76
Pro

And now we are basically ready for paint ..And here is my first mistake! Because I was uncertain of my bodywork skills I decided to take it to a guy kinda referred to me…The place that mixed the paint did a crap job or either picked some shade of cyber gray metallic that I have never seen..it ended up looking slate blue/greenish..Didn’t do any type of block sanding..i basically did all the work and had to push him the whole time..car looked great right after it was sprayed..Some may stand by nason paint..but its cheap..bottom line..cheap primer as well.. Its hard to argue with someone when they supposedly have done this their whole life..but I have come to realize that it doesn’t matter if you do something for a living, doesn’t mean you know how to do it.Car had waves and runs all over..doors had clear runs 1/8”-3/16” thick..not gonna fly.. So I block sanded the whole thing down myself and took it to my cousins bodyshop..He guided me along the 3 week process it took to get this thing ready(again!) for real paint!

Driver side door for whatever reason just fit horribly..had to do a lot of work..essentialy split the door back apart and took up to a ¼” out in places

Sanding, “slicksand primer”, primer photos..ill-fated paintjob

Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 AM
catchme76
Pro

Tape popped up on the stripes so they were screwed..Oh and passenger side fender had a big spot where a moth flew into it..the car wasn’t “flashed” very well..if you looked up from the bottom there was little to no paint on the louvers/around the tail lights..front bumper etc.. live and learn and then do it yourself is my motto

Kind of had a cool idea to do Jake in the trunk lid.

All the while I was making my speaker box..its just an 8” sub..so chill..doesnt weight that much haha

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
catchme76
Pro

Car finished

Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM
catchme76
Pro

NOW FOR THE REAL PAINT!! I went with Carbon Flash Metallic this time.
CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN AND TAPE TAPE TAPE!! Two very important rules when trying to get a good paintjob.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
catchme76
Pro

A few issues along the way..
Mongoose normally uses a rope style gasket..which was going to take a whole lot of work for me to put in myself(tried for two days) they make it work but no glass company would install it for me..sooo..I found a gasket that was wide enough and would cover the body side…so I used betaprime and glued the windshield in..The first paint we used on the windshield didn’t stick even after I roughed up the edge of the windshield with a DA sander but the betaprime is where its at when painting a “frit” or blacked out edge on glass.

Trunk hinges Mongoose sent were crap..so I found another set that were much beefier

Built my own spiral tube mufflers to quite things down a bit

Oh did I mention I had to learn how to sew and do interior work? Well I did..want it done right..do it yourself! Every boot, every stitch, every trim piece..all me..Mongoose usually just finishes out and paints the inside but I wanted a little more street car feel..sooo..

Old meets new
Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 AM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really nice build !!!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM
catchme76
Pro

Thanks! Ill be posting new pics soon..I have to get some shots of the finished interior and all the trim shots.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

You did good. There's alot to say for doing it yourself.

Now, drive it like you stole it!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Very nice work.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job Andrew! I chatted with Gary a few times asking how your car was coming, well you just summed it up here. AWESOME!

So,any plans to track the car down the road?

Love the new GS too, thats what I am looking for to strip and build a new race car out of.

Enjoy the ride!

Aaron Quine
Mongoose Test/Race Driver (Part time)
Kumho Tire-Motorsports Division (Full time)
Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
ReadyEddie
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What a great thread and a great build !!! It makes me even more anxious to get my Wintersteen D&D Roadster back from the painter. It's been over six months now, but I think it will be well worth the wait. They are taking a great deal of time making sure the body is prep correctly and weak areas fixed better than originally done. Hopefully I will be posting a thread soon to show the restoration of this early numbered GS build.

Your GS looks fantastic and I know you are proud that you "Did it Yourself".

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)

Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM
catchme76
Pro

Gary and you Mongoose guys are a good group! I think you have a good business going. I want to make a trip up and meet all you guys at some point.

I have been driving the hell out of it! Its very fast..should be trapping around 120 or so in the 1/4 mile..it will definitely do 158mph, and get there very quickly..2500pounds and around 380-390 wheel hp is a lot of fun. I definitely want to track it at least a few times! I want to buy another set of wheels, possibly some extra Z06 wheels for the track..we shall see.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good. I found a ragged 67 I'm thinking of getting and doing a GS tribute with it.

Quick Reply: 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics)