C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's casting number for 1962 rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default What's casting number for 1962 rear end

For a 1962 corvette, To much grime to make out but it looks like 8725899 or ?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

That is the number for a non posi rear. A posi would be an 812.

Bill
Old 09-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

3725899 is correct for 57-62 peg-leg Vettes, it's the one on my '62.

Paul

Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default 1962 Differential date

OK, I scrpaed off the grime and it has the casting number 3725899 and date B12. Does that B12 mean Feb 12th and they do not show the year. Or does B12 mean Feb 1 and the 2 means 1962. I figure my car would abe a non posi due to the low horse power and 3 speed transmission.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

B12=Feb 1, 1962.
Rears made at the Detroit Gear and Axle plant (ONLY place Vette rears came from) had ONE number for the year.
Rears made at the Buffalo (NY) plant had TWO numbers for the year (example: B162). Corvette rears NEVER came from the Buffalo plant.

Tom Parsons
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 PM
cgillum
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old post

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
B12=Feb 1, 1962.
Rears made at the Detroit Gear and Axle plant (ONLY place Vette rears came from) had ONE number for the year.
Rears made at the Buffalo (NY) plant had TWO numbers for the year (example: B162). Corvette rears NEVER came from the Buffalo plant.

Tom Parsons
Tom,
Recently purchased 1960 vette and noticed your rear end post. My markings have a casting number of 3725899 and a date code above the casting number of J1962, based on your previous post this is a 1962 rear end from a passenger car that's not a corvette?
Thanks for any info
Chuck
Old 02-03-2014, 11:57 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by cgillum
Tom,
Recently purchased 1960 vette and noticed your rear end post. My markings have a casting number of 3725899 and a date code above the casting number of J1962, based on your previous post this is a 1962 rear end from a passenger car that's not a corvette?
Thanks for any info
Chuck
Chuck,
Accoding to all the AUTHORITIVE documentation, as I explained above, Corvette rears ONLY came from the Detroit Gear and Axle plant. Those rears had only ONE number for the year in the casting date code. EVEN THOUGH the rear in your car has a dated rear that fits for your car, it is not correct because of the 62 for the year instead of having just a 2.
I WILL NOT catagorically state that your rear is not the original rear that was installed at the St. Louis assembly plant, BUUUUUUUUUUUT, again, according to documantation, it is not. Thus, I would be strongly inclined to agree that it has been changed.
Now, with all that said, over on the right side there is (or should be) STAMPED letters and numbers. These letters/numbers are sometimes difficult to see, so some serious cleaning with a solvent and small wire brush may be needed. If you find such letters/numbers, report them to us. There WILL BE two letters, followed by 3-4 numbers. The letters will translate to either a pass car or Corvette gear ratio and the numbers will be the mo/day of assembly.

Whoops, whoops, whoops, whoops, I just took another look at your casting date. It starts with a J. J translates to Oct. Thus, that rear was built in Oct 62-------------------that means it came from an early production 63 Pass car.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I might add that the center sections/pumpkins/whatever you call them in your part of the country, were routinely swapped and changed for any number or reasons, and there were so many pumpkins in wrecking yards, available for $10-$25 (I paid $25 for 4.56 posi pumpkin in 1975), that if someone wanted a ratio change, you bought a different pumpkin, if you got a ring gear howl, you bought a complete pumpkin, you didn't bother to rebuild the one in the car.

Doug
Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I might add that the center sections/pumpkins/whatever you call them in your part of the country, were routinely swapped and changed for any number or reasons, and there were so many pumpkins in wrecking yards, available for $10-$25 (I paid $25 for 4.56 posi pumpkin in 1975), that if someone wanted a ratio change, you bought a different pumpkin, if you got a ring gear howl, you bought a complete pumpkin, you didn't bother to rebuild the one in the car.

Doug
That is EXACTLY correct!!!
As I've said here before, I have changed rear center sections so many times, that I could change them in 45min. Although now, at my age, I go considerably slower. The last time I changed one was about 2mo ago in the T-bucket (it has a 57 Chevy housing). Taking my time, I did it in less than 2hrs-------------------by myself.
WHY IN GOD'S NAME DID GM STOP MAKING REARS WITH DROP OUT CENTER SECTIONS???????????

Building a rear this way is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than like the bottom 2 pictures!!!!

(we're installing/setting up a posi in my son's 68 Chevelle)

Last edited by DZAUTO; 02-05-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 PM
cgillum
Intermediate

Chuck,
Accoding to all the AUTHORITIVE documentation, as I explained above, Corvette rears ONLY came from the Detroit Gear and Axle plant. Those rears had only ONE number for the year in the casting date code. EVEN THOUGH the rear in your car has a dated rear that fits for your car, it is not correct because of the 62 for the year instead of having just a 2.
I WILL NOT catagorically state that your rear is not the original rear that was installed at the St. Louis assembly plant, BUUUUUUUUUUUT, again, according to documantation, it is not. Thus, I would be strongly inclined to agree that it has been changed.
Now, with all that said, over on the right side there is (or should be) STAMPED letters and numbers. These letters/numbers are sometimes difficult to see, so some serious cleaning with a solvent and small wire brush may be needed. If you find such letters/numbers, report them to us. There WILL BE two letters, followed by 3-4 numbers. The letters will translate to either a pass car or Corvette gear ratio and the numbers will be the mo/day of assembly.

Whoops, whoops, whoops, whoops, I just took another look at your casting date. It starts with a J. J translates to Oct. Thus, that rear was built in Oct 62-------------------that means it came from an early production 63 Pass car.
Tom
Thanks for info can you also tell me about my tranny? It has a tail section of T10-7B but no date code I can find and the main case has stamped T10-1C with a date code on top of WA41-2. Thanks
Chuck
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 PM
cgillum
Intermediate

Default Second photo

Tom
Thanks for info can you also tell me about my tranny? It has a tail section of T10-7B but no date code I can find and the main case has stamped T10-1C with a date code on top of WA41-2. Thanks
Chuck
Second photo:
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 PM
cgillum
Intermediate

Default Third photo

Second photo:
Third photo
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2014, 04:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

The T10-1C main case was used in '61-'62, and the T10-7B tailhousing was used in '60-'61. The WA41-2 is January 4, 1961, second shift.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:55 PM
cgillum
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The T10-1C main case was used in '61-'62, and the T10-7B tailhousing was used in '60-'61. The WA41-2 is January 4, 1961, second shift.
Thanks john!!
So it appears my 1960 vette I just bought has a 1958 Block, 1961 main tranny case, 1960 tail housing without a date code and an early 63 passenger car rear end! We'll not original but still love it!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Thanks john!!
So it appears my 1960 vette I just bought has a 1958 Block, 1961 main tranny case, 1960 tail housing without a date code and an early 63 passenger car rear end! We'll not original but still love it!!!!
Chuck,
Your car was built waaaaaaaaaay before the NCRS fanatical philosophy was established. Before then, MANY cars besides Corvettes had engines, trannys, rearends and all manner of other things changed and replaced. Sometimes they were replaced for personal reasons or because they were in need of replacement.
Regardless of why some of your car's parts are different from what was installed on the assembly line at St. Louis, it is still a great looking car!!!! Enjoy it!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM
cgillum
Intermediate

Default Rear end gear ratio

Chuck,

Tom,
Thanks for info on rear end, I've included a picture. Do you know the gear ratio on this 1963 passenger car rear end? Is there a different number I should be looking for?
Thanks again,
Chuck
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2014, 04:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Do you know the gear ratio on this 1963 passenger car rear end? Is there a different number I should be looking for?
Thanks again,
Chuck
Look directly across from those raised CAST numbers on the passenger side front of the case for STAMPED numbers - one will be 2 letters (ratio code) , followed by 3 or 4 numbers (date code). You'll need to clean it thoroughly, as the characters are lightly-stamped.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Tom,
Thanks for info on rear end, I've included a picture. Do you know the gear ratio on this 1963 passenger car rear end? Is there a different number I should be looking for?
Thanks again,
Chuck

Extracted from what I said above------------

--------Now, with all that said, over on the right side there is (or should be) STAMPED letters and numbers. These letters/numbers are sometimes difficult to see, so some serious cleaning with a solvent and small wire brush may be needed. If you find such letters/numbers, report them to us. There WILL BE two letters, followed by 3-4 numbers. The letters will translate to either a pass car or Corvette gear ratio and the numbers will be the mo/day of assembly. -------------
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM
cgillum
Intermediate

Extracted from what I said above------------

--------Now, with all that said, over on the right side there is (or should be) STAMPED letters and numbers. These letters/numbers are sometimes difficult to see, so some serious cleaning with a solvent and small wire brush may be needed. If you find such letters/numbers, report them to us. There WILL BE two letters, followed by 3-4 numbers. The letters will translate to either a pass car or Corvette gear ratio and the numbers will be the mo/day of assembly. -------------
Tom, thanks for your patience with this new C1 owner, I'll go out to garage and try to find the code

Get notified of new replies

To What's casting number for 1962 rear end

Quick Reply: What's casting number for 1962 rear end