C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How much Humidity ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 PM
stall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much Humidity ??

After reading "hot and steamy Florida garage" post I wonder just how high the humidity can get before rust starts. I leave a unprotected piece of steel on the garage floor and so far there's no rust at 60%.

Any thoughts ??
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Rust is oxidation pure and simple....anything that supports that chemical reaction will increase its rate. Heat, salt, moisture (e.g. humidity) will take its toll eventually in the right amounts. I've seen brake rotors develop a thin coating of rust overnight in my garage before I could install them the next morning. I don't know if there is a specific "tipping point" for humidity when rust starts. Its probably a combination of many variables.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Rust

As an ex-New Yorker, I can tell you that the salt on the roads causes more damage than high humidity here in FL. I drove my 68 coupe throughout many NY winters and it took its toll. My 66 was a CA car and had little to no rust. I keep the humidity down in both cars by putting a few desiccant bags inside each car. It cuts way down on the humidity inside the car. Where are you in FL? Jerry
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
As an ex-New Yorker, I can tell you that the salt on the roads causes more damage than high humidity here in FL. I drove my 68 coupe throughout many NY winters and it took its toll. My 66 was a CA car and had little to no rust. I keep the humidity down in both cars by putting a few desiccant bags inside each car. It cuts way down on the humidity inside the car. Where are you in FL? Jerry
Desiccant bags will help for all of 15 minutes. Once they are saturated, they give no more help. Desiccant bags only help if you have you car sealed in a bag where humidity cannot penetrate. Then they will absorb what humidity is in the bag.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that over a little time that piece of steel you have is going to show some rust. It doesn't take long for the humidity to take effect, but it might take a while for it to show. I have sanded down steel body panels to bare metal and come back in just a day and seen the result of the humidity. I have found that on bare metal, if you do not protect it right away, with some qiuck primer, you have to hit it again, before you can go on.

Get notified of new replies

To How much Humidity ??

Quick Reply: How much Humidity ??