C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heater Core Water Shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Heater Core Water Shutoff

This is for my 66 coupe:

I found a number of threads about shutting off the hot water to the heater core. The valve needs to go on the 5/8" hose on the inlet side of the core.

When I bought the car, the heater hoses are disconnected from the core and looped together with a piece of copper tubing. So I assume the core leaks. I'm going to eventually pull the dash to do some work, but that will be a year or more before I can change out the core.

The hoses dangling under the the hood just look tacky, so I want to hook them back to the core, but I don't want any water to get to the core.

I'll put a shutoff on the inlet side of the core, but do I also need to put a shutoff on the 3/4" between the expansion tank and the heater core to make sure no water backs into the core from the return line?

Thanks,

Don
Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

slip some appropriate size plugs in the ends of the hose, just before the core, slip the hoses on the core and then pull the clamps back a little and clamp the plug inside the hose.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
slip some appropriate size plugs in the ends of the hose, just before the core, slip the hoses on the core and then pull the clamps back a little and clamp the plug inside the hose.
Good idea. I'll make a hardware store run. I may even see if I can solder a cap on the core inlet and outlet tubes
Old 09-18-2011, 02:41 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Maybe the previous owner just tried to keep the interior cooler by bypassing the core. I'd make sure it leaked before I did any soldering. In fact, I wouldn't do any soldering. I'd just shut off the water to both hoses.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Thats the best idea I have heard

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Core Water Shutoff

Quick Reply: Heater Core Water Shutoff