C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

convertible top adjustment - C2

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default convertible top adjustment - C2

I recently purchased a complete soft top assembly (frame, weather strips, latches, soft top, etc.) in very good used condition. Before this my car always sported the removable hardtop. My car was originally a two top car but the original soft top was stolen out of the car just before I bought it.

The '63 CSM info on soft top installation shows where adjustments can be made to the soft top but doesn't say much beyond that. Some info was gleaned from the archives which helped in getting the install started.

The top is now installed on the car but fits a little tight. I was able to latch the front bow and insert the rear bow pins into their respective receivers. The bolts that hold the frame brackets to the rear body mounts were left loose to allow for adjustment. So far, so good. But, now the doors won't close. .. On the lower bottom of the soft top adjacent to the front edge of the rear deck there's a rubber snubber piece that the rear top inside portion of the door slides underneath (to effect a weather seal, of sorts).

This 'snubber' sits too low to allow both doors to close all the way. Unless the entire rear frame assembly is raised up it appears there's no adjustment to raise this snubber piece.

The frame attach brackets that bolt to the rear inside body supports have some fore and aft adjustment, but don't seem to have much in the way of vertical adjustment.

How best to fix this problem? .. All comments appreciated. . Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It will come up a long way. Loosen the bolts and put your shoulder to it.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
It will come up a long way. Loosen the bolts and put your shoulder to it.
I'll give it a go. .. Thanks, Wayne.

Get notified of new replies

To convertible top adjustment - C2

Quick Reply: convertible top adjustment - C2