C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Body on a C5 or C6 Frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:52 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Ross
no harm, no foul.. C5s and C6s are so plentiful over here that we chop them up and use them for fireplace kindling in the winter time... might just as well put them to some other use..
Bill
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Aussie, needs to get over himself. The car is not everyones taste and it does look like %^&*. IMHO

You need to stop trying to convince everyone why they should appreciate it!

Ya Aussie, it's where we come from that makes us critical of your frankenvette. I even defended your build a while back. NOT ANYMORE!

Now that you are making it about natioanality instead of the hideousness of your project. I think you know where to stick it!!

You brought this "VETTE" to the Forum expecting everyone to love it and tell you how great a fabricator you are. Well you obviously have build talent.

But you need to go to design school.

Originally Posted by aussieross01
1Stexan,

Mate, I don't know why I'm even taking the trouble to respond to guys like you, but here goes.

Don't care, or expect anyone to like Prodigy:- immaterial to me.
I didn't post the thread on here when the car was released, someone else did.

My SOLE purpose on jumping on here was to explain what we did and why.
I was hopeful it just might inpsire, or give someone ideas for their own project.
In my view, to do something else from a different angle is to keep this hobby alive.
Some of you guys just don't get it, and clearly you are one of them.

Design is conjecture, we love it, you don't appreciate it, that's fine.
I wasn't being critical of the American nationality:- I'd never do that, I was just pointing out that a car like Prodigy is not likely to originate from over there, because you wouldn't chop one up like we did.

I'm trying hard not to get personal "mister 1stexan", so you can back off now.
Texans and Aussies - both proud independent types, with a lot of heritage to be proud of! Probably more in common than they would admit!

Peace, boys - it's all good!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjtoma
You can try SRIII, Mike has built over 300 chassis. 3 1/2 hr ride for you.

http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/

Thanks for the info, I will have to check them out. Been in Denver this week on biz so just getting back to look at the thread.

BTW, although the Prodigy example is not my taste, it's all good. Nothing wrong with people applying their creative talents. Far from me to judge
Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
It actually has an aftermarket frame for C2-3 under it with C5 suspension and running gear. The aftermarket frame is designed to attach the suspension to it. Not a C5 chassis.
It actually has everything except the exterior C5 exterior surround frame.

As said, it has C5 rolling chassis, that back in 2007-2008, there were quite a few new rollers sold by GM to aftermarket to get rid of them.

The one in that picture came from a wrecked C5, an as Russ1 said it is a C5 roller surrounded by a frame for a C2, where he modified a C5 frame and body by merging some of a C2 body do create his on unique design.

Bottom line the OP could buy a wrecked C5 discard the body & frame yet keep the rear end and TQ tube and front suspension except for discarding it's center section support and mount his stock or customized C2 body on it.

Another subject unrelated to the one quoted above.

Since GoodGuys and the National Street Rod Association opened up their membership to year models our C2s were built in, why don't some of you who are so quick to criticize someone car, take your C2 to some of their shows and display them. There have been a few Restomod C2s showing up, but have yet to see a restored to original condition or driver at one.

I can tell you, you might feel a little uncomfortable being so along unless you are a true Car Guy, and then you'll fit right in. Some of the comments made by members here make me wonder if they are Car Guys.

Like Russ1 posted on another thread, anyone can restore or have a car restored to stock, but how many of you can design and build or have built by someone a one off car? How many of you would know were to even begin.

Another thing, you should never judge a car just from pictures. Sometimes you have to see a car in person, to get a true prospective on it's looks. Your not getting to step back and look at car as a hold. Your only seeing snapshots.

Problem here is Russ1's car was judged by his peers (builders & designers) foremost and by Car People who go to Car Shows to see what other have created and marvel at how or what it took to build them. Both of those accepted and rewarded it.

Some of you need to go and read some of the threads here about some A hole makes comments about their prized C2 and how pissed that member was and just had to vent about it here, and then read all your snappy comebacks you would have used if it had been you.

Well folks you got off easy compared to beating a Car Guy is taking here about his car. Think some of you should step back an take a moment to consider how you would feel if someone made comments about your prized car.

Ross1 is doing no more than most of you would do, except he doing it in a crowd, not one on one like those who took exception to remarks about their/your C2's.

Seems some have walked in his shoes, yet don't "Get It".

I'm proud to be an American, I'm not alway proud of my fellow Americans, and sometimes I find I'm not too proud of myself because I forget to remember about I should take a walk in another's shoes.

Now lets get back to helping the OP with his problem.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 09-28-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
It actually has everything except the exterior C5 exterior surround frame.

As said, it has C5 rolling chassis, that back in 2007-2008, there were quite a few new rollers sold by GM to aftermarket to get rid of them.

The one in that picture came from a wrecked C5, an as Russ1 said it is a C5 roller surrounded by a frame for a C2, where he modified a C5 frame and body by merging some of a C2 body do create his on unique design.

Bottom line the OP could buy a wrecked C5 discard the body & frame yet keep the rear end and TQ tube and front suspension except for discarding it's center section support and mount his stock or customized C2 body on it.

Another subject unrelated to the one quoted above.

Since GoodGuys and the National Street Rod Association opened up their membership to year models our C2s were built in, why don't some of you who are so quick to criticize someone car, take your C2 to some of their shows and display them. There have been a few Restomod C2s showing up, but have yet to see a restored to original condition or driver at one.

I can tell you, you might feel a little uncomfortable being so along unless you are a true Car Guy, and then you'll fit right in. Some of the comments made by members here make me wonder if they are Car Guys.

Like Russ1 posted on another thread, anyone can restore or have a car restored to stock, but how many of you can design and build or have built by someone a one off car? How many of you would know were to even begin.

Another thing, you should never judge a car just from pictures. Sometimes you have to see a car in person, to get a true prospective on it's looks. Your not getting to step back and look at car as a hold. Your only seeing snapshots.

Problem here is Russ1's car was judged by his peers (builders & designers) foremost and by Car People who go to Car Shows to see what other have created and marvel at how or what it took to build them. Both of those accepted and rewarded it.

Some of you need to go and read some of the threads here about some A hole makes comments about their prized C2 and how pissed that member was and just had to vent about it here, and then read all your snappy comebacks you would have used if it had been you.

Well folks you got off easy compared to beating a Car Guy is taking here about his car. Think some of you should step back an take a moment to consider how you would feel if someone made comments about your prized car.

Ross1 is doing no more than most of you would do, except he doing it in a crowd, not one on one like those who took exception to remarks about their/your C2's.

Seems some have walked in his shoes, yet don't "Get It".

I'm proud to be an American, I'm not alway proud of my fellow Americans, and sometimes I find I'm not too proud of myself because I forget to remember about I should take a walk in another's shoes.

Now lets get back to helping the OP with his problem.
Hey, it's OK Poorhouse, please don't get upset on my account.
Prodigy was always going to polarise people, because of the nature of the build.
It is completely off the wall, and different, and you're dead right, it looks much better in the flesh, than it does in the pics.

To be honest, acceptance here has been around 50/50 when you consider all comments on the various threads, so that's OK.
When we released it at the Major Hotrod show here, I had no idea what to expect.
Response was truly overwhelming, which stunned me, I was figuring on some detractors at least.
When you have lived a project for over 6 years, you can clearly develop a case of tunnel vision, so I was aware of this, and was prepared to be critisised, and again, that's fine.

The audience at Motorex were car people, not necessarily Corvette folk.
Prodigy was judged on how it was presented and appealed, and probably most were not aware of the nature of the mods, or indeed the extent.

It is a bit disheartening to read of unkind comments on this forum from people who shoot fom the hip, and make ill conceived, and uniformed comments, simply because they have a mind to. It is a forum after all, so I guess we need to live with this.
I perservere with this forum because of folk like you and several others I've encountered over the years who give a lot back to the hobby, and are happy to share their knowledge and wisdom.

Indeed, I met Rich Lagasse on this site many years ago, and he has been a constant source of help and inspiration during my build. The amount of help he's given me has at times has left me embarassed:- but he keeps giving, the bloke's a bloody legend in my book. He may well, not be keen on my design, but that doesn't stop him from helping where he can.

One of my biggest faults, is that I don't suffer fools and b#*^*#it comments as well as most, and there are plenty of them on here, but I'll work on greater tolerance.

Poorhouse, I reckon the OP is going with the tube chassis option. In terms of time and cost, this will be a whole bunch more pratical approach.
I also think your money would perhaps be better invested in this approach rather than mine. There is a proven market, value wise for these resto rods, whereupon using my approach would be much more expensive, and clearly, have limited appeal if you need to sell down the track.

All is good, keep the faith.
Ross
Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 AM
aronhk_md
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to revive this old thread, since I just came across it and can't resist.

I happen to LIKE the look of Prodigy. Do I like the stock C2's? Sure. But I like many cars because I'm a car guy. Even those 57 chevys that make me say, "oh very nice...next" can make me pause to appreciate a clean build or an interesting idea. And I could see if GM were considering rolling out a resto-mod version of the C2 today as many manufacturers have done with cars in recent years, the design team might do something just like Prodigy. The idea being take some of the old design cues and give it a MODERN flair.

Corvette owners seem to be as bad as the Pontiac guys on the forum I most often frequent (yes I've had vettes but I seem to come back to Pontiacs) in that many are purists and cannot stand it if the brake master cylinder lid color is a shade off during the restoration. Oh no! Send it back and redo the car!

I think what aussie did is VERY American in spirit. Take it...and make it your own. We aren't talking fuzzy dice here, but chopping and channeling and frenching and tubbing and filling and scalloping and "dropping it in the weeds"/slamming. Anyone here appreciate hotrods?

How many of you own a Harley? Would you think about taking it home and never changing it from stock? That wouldn't be anyone I know. The wilder the better.

My 73 trans am may not be worth as much as the average C2 vette, but its still pretty rare at only 4800 made. SO what did I do? Install a tilt front end, bring the weight ratio back to 53% front, 47% rear, install a Vette Brake Products composite leafspring front suspension, turbocharge the engine for 1200 hp on pump gas.....the list goes on.

The heck with the purists. If they want to restore their car, more power to them. And I appreciate those cars too. But if I want to make an airplane out of mine I will.

Aussie.....I salute you on a beautiful car, and the effort required to bring it to completion.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
just to keep it in context...

the phrase is "as American as Mom, apple pie and baseball". Chevrolet took 'liberties' with the phrase and changed it to "Mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet".

"Uncle Sam, Apple Pie and Corvettes" works too....

Bill
I remember a radio jingle that went "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet".

The words "American" and/or "Mom" were NOT used AIR. Maybe this was on TV also?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 AM
midyear matt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts...890096689.html
Old 06-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

This post started 9 yrs ago, and was resurrected 5 yrs ago. It's most likely dead! Dennis

Quick Reply: C2 Body on a C5 or C6 Frame