C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Body on a C5 or C6 Frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default C2 Body on a C5 or C6 Frame

For everyone out there that has ever made this conversion, how complex is this? I see complete rolling C5 and C6's for sale (no body) and was curious as to the modifications needed.

Is there significant alterations needed to the C2 body to make this work?

With Fall/Winter coming I am anticipating some down time and this could be a fun project. Just not sure what I would be getting into.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by edub63vette
For everyone out there that has ever made this conversion, how complex is this? I see complete rolling C5 and C6's for sale (no body) and was curious as to the modifications needed.

With Fall/Winter coming I am anticipating some down time and this could be a fun project. Just not sure what I would be getting into.

Thanks!

Eric
C5's and C6's don't have a frame - they use unitized structures. The midyear cars you see out there with C5/C6 engines and suspension/brakes all use custom frames (SRIII, Corvette Correction, etc.). Major work, major $$$.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

http://www.prodigy-z06.com/
Old 09-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

The car below has a C5 Rolling chassis under it. To get the frt to rear wheel spacing correct, the Torque Tube had to be shortened.

If anyone thinks I don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at the pictures. It will give you an idea what it takes to do it. I saw this Street Shop chassis several times as it was being prototyped by in 2007/2008. Also saw him first prototyping C6 suspension and rear end back in 2008/2009.

http://www.streetshopinc.com/project...5c6_c2017.html

Some more C5 pictures along with his chassis with C6 suspension.

http://www.streetshopinc.com/c5andc6for53-82.html

Both of these require floor pan modifications to fit them. His C4 one, you can bolt a stock body on it without modifications and be right back on the road with minimum downtime.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 09-25-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:42 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
This thing just doesn't look right. It looks like a wax mold of the car where nobody trimmed the edges.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not like that car at all, not even a little bit. Would much rather just buy a factory C6 ZO6. Oh wait, I did. As "bb62" mentioned, these conversions really don't look right, and just not seeing the money in doing this. I'm with the thinking of several here updating drivetrains and suspensions, keeping the original look. While you're not gonna get C6 handling, Can come pretty close in power/fuel milage.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The original post referenced putting a C2 body on a C5-C6 "frame", which is what the prodigy builder did. If you don't care for his body modifications, you can maintain the original C2 body lines when you do your conversion.

Charles
The following users liked this post:
midyear matt (06-17-2019)
Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys! Looks like quite the project. Did not see a price list on the street shop inc. site, may call them to see.

Agreed, not to crazy about the prodigy build, but thanks for sharing.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:36 PM
jjtoma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! Looks like quite the project. Did not see a price list on the street shop inc. site, may call them to see.

Agreed, not to crazy about the prodigy build, but thanks for sharing.
You can try SRIII, Mike has built over 300 chassis. 3 1/2 hr ride for you.

http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/

Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
The car below has a C5 Rolling chassis under it. To get the frt to rear wheel spacing correct, the Torque Tube had to be shortened.

If anyone thinks I don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at the pictures. It will give you an idea what it takes to do it. I saw this Street Shop chassis several times as it was being prototyped by in 2007/2008. Also saw him first prototyping C6 suspension and rear end back in 2008/2009.

Both of these require floor pan modifications to fit them. His C4 one, you can bolt a stock body on it without modifications and be right back on the road with minimum downtime.
This one sure is fine!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Originally Posted by bb62
This thing just doesn't look right. It looks like a wax mold of the car where nobody trimmed the edges.
That thing is hideous.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
The front looks like crap and the side also. I know alot of time and $$$ but it looks like Cant believe some one would that to a C2... Just my 2 cents
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 AM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks!

Eric
Eric,

Just for your own information, Prodigy is the only car ever been built on a C5 frame/running gear:- that I am aware of.
In simplistic terms Prodigy is a rebodied C5 Z06:- fullstop-period.

It is not possible to use a stock bodied C2 on a C5/6 frame, it's wrong everywhere.

It is nothing like the car Poorhouse raised, where upon this vehicle uses a tube chassis with C5 components:- different thing altogether.

Contrary to the crap written here, C5's do have a perimeter frame, combined with a centre structural tunnel. It is both lighter and up to four times stronger than anything Corvette had used in the past.
GM spent millions developing this frame stucture. The builders of Prodigy took this into account when deciding on a build path.

Prodigy is a contemporary concept. It has received huge accolades here in Australia, and it has been judged on how it represents, not because it's not a stock bodied Corvette.

It was never going to be accepted by many on this forum. It seems with you Americans, you can't mess with Uncle Sam, Apple Pie and Corvettes.
Thats' fine, if you guys want to tread the same weary path, and buy a frame from this guy, and bits from other vendors and simply bolt together a 'pro classic' vehicle with a 'stock' Corvette body, go right ahead, I'm sure it will be a great car, but it's not that much different to what everybody else is doing.
Prodigy was a huge challenge, both in terms of design and engineering, AND it's different to anything that's been done before.

Like it or loath it Prodigy has been designed/built by looking outside the square and approaching our hobby from a different point of view.
It is a modern contemporary interpretation of a classic design.
It was never meant to be a stock boring '63SWC.
Geeezus, some of you guys need to lighten up and get a life, it's only a bloody car.
Rgds
Ross
Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Eric,

It was never going to be accepted by many on this forum. It seems with you Americans, you can't mess with Uncle Sam, Apple Pie and Corvettes.
Rgds
Ross
just to keep it in context...

the phrase is "as American as Mom, apple pie and baseball". Chevrolet took 'liberties' with the phrase and changed it to "Mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet".

"Uncle Sam, Apple Pie and Corvettes" works too....

Bill
Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Eric,

Just for your own information, Prodigy is the only car ever been built on a C5 frame/running gear:- that I am aware of.

It is not possible to use a stock bodied C2 on a C5/6 frame, it's wrong everywhere.

It is nothing like the car Poorhouse raised, where upon this vehicle uses a tube chassis with C5 components:- different thing altogether.

Contrary to the crap written here, C5's do have a perimeter frame, combined with a centre structural tunnel. It is both lighter and up to four times stronger than anything Corvette had used in the past.
GM spent millions developing this frame stucture. The builders of Prodigy took this into account when deciding on a build path.

Prodigy is a contemporary concept. It has received huge accolades here in Australia, and it has been judged on how it represents, not because it's not a stock bodied Corvette.

Thats' fine, if you guys want to tread the same weary path, and buy a frame from this guy, and bits from other vendors and simply bolt together a 'pro classic' vehicle with a 'stock' Corvette body, go right ahead, I'm sure it will be a great car, but it's not that much different to what everybody else is doing.
Prodigy was a huge challenge, both in terms of design and engineering, AND it's different to anything that's been done before.

Like it or loath it Prodigy has been designed/built by looking outside the square and approaching our hobby from a different point of view.
Geeezus, some of you guys need to lighten up and get a life, it's only a bloody car.
Rgds
Ross
I don't dislike it because they "ruined" a classic Vette...I like a lot of random stuff, to include the homemade monster truck midyear. I dislike this one because it's ugly as ****. I have absolutely no doubt that they did a stellar job on the electronic/mechanical side and that it's performance is light-years beyond any factory (or near-factory) midyear. But it looks like a car bed with the slab sides.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:04 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Eric,

Rgds
Ross
Aussie, needs to get over himself. The car is not everyones taste and it does look like %^&*. IMHO

You need to stop trying to convince everyone why they should appreciate it!

Ya Aussie, it's where we come from that makes us critical of your frankenvette. I even defended your build a while back. NOT ANYMORE!

Now that you are making it about natioanality instead of the hideousness of your project. I think you know where to stick it!!

You brought this "VETTE" to the Forum expecting everyone to love it and tell you how great a fabricator you are. Well you obviously have build talent.

But you need to go to design school.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 09-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ChattanoogaJSB (06-17-2019)
Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext

It actually has an aftermarket frame for C2-3 under it with C5 suspension and running gear. The aftermarket frame is designed to attach the suspension to it. Not a C5 chassis.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 09-27-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Body on a C5 or C6 Frame

Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wmf62
just to keep it in context...

the phrase is "as American as Mom, apple pie and baseball". Chevrolet took 'liberties' with the phrase and changed it to "Mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet".

"Uncle Sam, Apple Pie and Corvettes" works too....

Bill
Oopps, sorry Bill.
Rgds
Ross
Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Oopps, sorry Bill.
Rgds
Ross
no reason to apologize, no reason for you to know; heck, i reckon you can bury us in Aussie coloquialisms...

Bill
Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Aussie, needs to get over himself. The car is not everyones taste and it does look like %^&*. IMHO

You need to stop trying to convince everyone why they should appreciate it!

Ya Aussie, it's where we come from that makes us critical of your frankenvette. I even defended your build a while back. NOT ANYMORE!

Now that you are making it about natioanality instead of the hideousness of your project. I think you know where to stick it!!

You brought this "VETTE" to the Forum expecting everyone to love it and tell you how great a fabricator you are. Well you obviously have build talent.

But you need to go to design school.

1Stexan,

Mate, I don't know why I'm even taking the trouble to respond to guys like you, but here goes.

Don't care, or expect anyone to like Prodigy:- immaterial to me.
I didn't post the thread on here when the car was released, someone else did.

My SOLE purpose on jumping on here was to explain what we did and why.
I was hopeful it just might inpsire, or give someone ideas for their own project.
In my view, to do something else from a different angle is to keep this hobby alive.
Some of you guys just don't get it, and clearly you are one of them.

Design is conjecture, we love it, you don't appreciate it, that's fine.
I wasn't being critical of the American nationality:- I'd never do that, I was just pointing out that a car like Prodigy is not likely to originate from over there, because you wouldn't chop one up like we did.

I'm trying hard not to get personal "mister 1stexan", so you can back off now.

Quick Reply: C2 Body on a C5 or C6 Frame