C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tremec/Keisler Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
66 Vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have listened to all of you and have gone on various GM car sites to gather as much information as possible before I made my decision today. Every site I went to mentioned the difficulty of installing the TKO due to tunnel clearance issues, plus the 2nd to 3rd shifts. I ordered a Keisler RS 600 this morning based on this input and information. I hope the wait is worth it and look forward to receiving the RS 600 Transmission kit as soon as it is available.
I thank all of you for your input.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 66 Vette
I have listened to all of you and have gone on various GM car sites to gather as much information as possible before I made my decision today. Every site I went to mentioned the difficulty of installing the TKO due to tunnel clearance issues, plus the 2nd to 3rd shifts. I ordered a Keisler RS 600 this morning based on this input and information. I hope the wait is worth it and look forward to receiving the RS 600 Transmission kit as soon as it is available.
I thank all of you for your input.
Please keep us posted as to when you receive it. And how the install went as well. I think you made the right choice.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KeislerJeff
Comparison photos.

The TKO is on top and the RS on bottom. The TKO photo is older and the mid plate actually gets milled down for more clearance. See close up.
Jeff, Those minor changes on the Tremec I see in the pics might have been enough to solve my clearance issue - Nice Job. The edges of the silver plate are ground off, just like I did to mine, and the change in the front/top plate is great !! - I ground off the edges of that plate as well to help with the clearance, but that is a much better solution! I did leave my tunnel insulation in the first time the trans went in, btw. Bought mine 6-7 years ago, and it even survived the car being totalled 5 years ago. (car is rebuilt now)

I also shift above 6,000 rpm constantly - usually shifting at 6,500 when going hard (peak power is at 6,300) and if I'm distracted I'll see 7,000 in first gear before grabbing second - never noticed any problem with the shift vs RPM. Even have a little 9 minute demo of some, uh, gear rowing.... for your enjoyment watch for the 3rd gear shift stumble I was talking about a little bit after the u-turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viYh-fqwya8

Last edited by FastEddy; 09-29-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KeislerJeff

As popular as these are I suspect we will always carry some sort of lead time/waiting list.
and in this economy, hardly anyone is building up speculation stock...of anything it seems. In my business everyone is complaining that "parts" that were always readily available in the past, are at times on nationwide backorder these last few years...it's frustrating for everybody.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by FastEddy
Jeff, Those minor changes on the Tremec I see in the pics might have been enough to solve my clearance issue - Nice Job. The edges of the silver plate are ground off, just like I did to mine, and the change in the front/top plate is great !! - I ground off the edges of that plate as well to help with the clearance, but that is a much better solution! I did leave my tunnel insulation in the first time the trans went in, btw. Bought mine 6-7 years ago, and it even survived the car being totalled 5 years ago. (car is rebuilt now)

I also shift above 6,000 rpm constantly - usually shifting at 6,500 when going hard (peak power is at 6,300) and if I'm distracted I'll see 7,000 in first gear before grabbing second - never noticed any problem with the shift vs RPM. Even have a little 9 minute demo of some, uh, gear rowing.... for your enjoyment watch for the 3rd gear shift stumble I was talking about a little bit after the u-turn

Watched the video and I've developed pretty much the same TKO shifting technique...you just can't bang the thing forward into 3rd like throwing a punch....more finesse is required; of course my original '61 won't hang with your car by a long shot. I have shifted at 5,800 RPM on 1-2 occasions but I have a rev limiter now set at 5,500 which I rarely hit at this point.

Personally, I wouldn't post a video of myself intentionally speeding for any reason....Internet postings are forever.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a bad *** ride! I kept waiting for a navigator to pop up in the passenger seat and start pointing out the upcoming turns. Fun video!

I'll put the link on our facebook page.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

and in this economy, hardly anyone is building up speculation stock...of anything it seems. In my business everyone is complaining that "parts" that were always readily available in the past, are at times on nationwide backorder these last few years...it's frustrating for everybody.

Exactly! I've talked to many vendors at shows and hear pretty much the same thing across the board. Nobody is carrying much excess stock anymore due to the economy.

We just have to hunker down and ride out the storm, this is a STRONG hobby and a huge market. People who aren't even "car" people love classic cars and guys (and gals) will never stop building them.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Curious about your 'hood ornament' that's blocking your view And you seem to have a bit of traction problem, getting rid of what that is on the hood might help rectify that!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM
qwik-tripp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, is the milled down area shown in the close up a must? I am interested in installing this trans in a C-2. It is a TKO-600.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I went with the Keisler TKO-600 and installation was a snap. Just lowered the body onto the chassis and called it done.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 AM
thumperZ06
Great State of Utah
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Watched the video and I've developed pretty much the same TKO shifting technique...you just can't bang the thing forward into 3rd like throwing a punch....more finesse is required; of course my original '61 won't hang with your car by a long shot. I have shifted at 5,800 RPM on 1-2 occasions but I have a rev limiter now set at 5,500 which I rarely hit at this point.

Personally, I wouldn't post a video of myself intentionally speeding for any reason....Internet postings are forever.
Damn awesome video. can tell its near MD.. was expecting to see an unexpected car to show up. I have the T56 in my 60 and it reacts simular. I really like the 2 OD's with 411's. my hard shfit points are at 7800. btw ever see any smokies with those funny colored lights?? nice ride thnx..
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Originally Posted by qwik-tripp
Jeff, is the milled down area shown in the close up a must? I am interested in installing this trans in a C-2. It is a TKO-600.
Yes and no. The C2 is prone to seat pan sag and clearance is definitely on the small side. If your trans does not have this mod and your pan is sagging you will most likely have trans/tunnel contact. This mod along with our seat pan support bushings typically eliminate any tunnel interference issues.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I have a TKO 600 in my grand sport replica. It's a bit notchy compared to my Honda's. As soon as I have my large engine completed, I plan to back it up with the new Keisler transmission. I've seen the tranny at the last two PRI shows, and it's a damned nice piece....and it also weighs less than the Tremec.
As the owner of a business that builds high-tolerance Honda race engines, I appreciate the time Keisler is spending to make sure everything is "right". That's the only way to do business.
LW
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 PM
jjtoma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Fast Eddy,

way to go man. That's what I calling testing.

Jim
Old 12-10-2011, 01:38 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Does anyone have some RS price indications?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:54 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I have the TKO-600 in my '64 with the Keisler floor shims and still get rub and squeek. It also pushes up on the bottom of the ashtray. I wish my mechanic would have done the grinding/clearancing before the installation and it's kind of expensive to go back and re-do after the fact.

I bought a sheet of thin cork, and will try to line the crossmember to shim it up a bit for a little more clearance.

If you get an "un-ground" 600 unit, be sure to grind it beforehand.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
I have the TKO-600 in my '64 with the Keisler floor shims and still get rub and squeek. It also pushes up on the bottom of the ashtray. I wish my mechanic would have done the grinding/clearancing before the installation and it's kind of expensive to go back and re-do after the fact.

I bought a sheet of thin cork, and will try to line the crossmember to shim it up a bit for a little more clearance.

If you get an "un-ground" 600 unit, be sure to grind it beforehand.
i pulled mine out just to do the grinding, several years on the initial installation. back then i was flying blind and was so pissed about the fit that i did not care about the warranty of the tko unit, im glad i posted the modification and equally impressed that keisler is providing more room on the newer units, you'd think they would have done this in the first place...duh!!......
i wonder if they got the idea from this forum ???
if they did, youre welcome keisler!

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec/Keisler Transmission

Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Just got my newsletter from Keisler that has information on the new SS700 debuted at the PRI show and to be available in 2012. Dimensions look identical to the RS series trans, but has torque capacity of 700 ft. lbs. and better (for my application at least) gear ratio availability.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Just got my newsletter from Keisler that has information on the new SS700 debuted at the PRI show and to be available in 2012. Dimensions look identical to the RS series trans, but has torque capacity of 700 ft. lbs. and better (for my application at least) gear ratio availability.
What is a SS700?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 PM
esema
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 53 Posts

"available in 2012" Yeah. Right.

Quick Reply: Tremec/Keisler Transmission