C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Paint failure caused by Oil contaminated fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Technite73
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Paint failure caused by Oil contaminated fiberglass

I posted this also in the Paint section but I am seeking a proven method to repair this issue.

I have a 66 convertible. It had its original paint up to 2009 when we did a frame off restoration. The body was excellent with all original panels, it was a no hit body. The original paint was sanded off. There was a section on the top drivers side fender just in front of the firewall that showed evidence of oil in the fiberglass from below the panel. The painter heated the panel and used lacquer thinner to draw out the oil. He used an epoxy 2k primer and used a base clear PPG paint process. After about two months, tiny paint bubbles appeared on the surface.

Does anyone know of a proven way to fix this problem short of replacing the upper fender panel?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We had a similar problem on our 66 before we painted it. I believe a brake line blew at some point while the car was in storage (before we bought it). Our painter put a heat light on it for a long time (maybe a week or so) and kept cleaning the area with acetone. After his process was complete he continued with painting it. Years after the car was painted, no problems.

-Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 02:17 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Dave's results are better than most.

I have heard some horror stories on this subject. Like multiple paint jobs then finally replacing the panel.

Theres an 80% chance it will come back. How many times are you willing to paint the car? Or just bite the bullet and replace the panel? Tough decision.

Mine was painted before I bought it. I can count maybe 4 pin sized bubbles spread out over one fender. In the 2 1/2 yrs I have owned it. Out in the sun, 40 degree shop in winter. No change no new bubbles.

I am leaving them alone.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 10-06-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut the section of fiberglass out it's fiberglass easy repair. Then you know it isn't coming back. Stewy
Old 10-06-2011, 06:39 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I've had good success with the heat/acetone method along with grinding the area "very thin", and laying up 2 or three layers of mat. By doing this, you have less chance of repair shrinkage showing up (via a cutout and panel replacement), and you grind most of the contaminated glass away. It's a little more "surgical", but I've never had one come back. You should also use "isothalic" polyester resin for the repair. It is mold-makers resin, and is very high quality, with much less shrink. Also, if the underside of where the bubbles are has been painted, strip the paint, and do the heat acetone/lacquer thinner thing on the bottom side also. Use an EPOXY primer surfacer, like PPG D822. Good luck.

Mike Coletta
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. My painter cut it and put a new top surround on. Shemp

Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Technite73
Racer

Shemp

That is most likely the best solution but I am trying to avoid this at this point as the car is 99% done.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem in the same place.. Drivers side top of fender..
Original paint.. No evidence of oil or anything on bottom of fender.. Can only assume this was caused by brake fluid at some point in its life
On a hot day I can actually see it run out on the paint surface like it is still wet... I've tried everything I could think of to dry it out... No luck
Go figure
Old 10-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Technite73
Racer

I spoke to my car's former owner who owned it for 40 years prior to me. He told me that the master cylinder would weep brake fluid. He rebuilt the original master cylinder 3 times in his 40 years of ownership. He switched to silicon brake fluid and Stainless sleeved calipers in the 80's and did not have any further issues. My fender was contaminated by DOT 3 brake fluid in the 60's and 70's.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Shemp what company did you get your top surround from
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 61retro
I've had good success with the heat/acetone method along with grinding the area "very thin", and laying up 2 or three layers of mat. By doing this, you have less chance of repair shrinkage showing up (via a cutout and panel replacement), and you grind most of the contaminated glass away. It's a little more "surgical", but I've never had one come back. You should also use "isothalic" polyester resin for the repair. It is mold-makers resin, and is very high quality, with much less shrink. Also, if the underside of where the bubbles are has been painted, strip the paint, and do the heat acetone/lacquer thinner thing on the bottom side also. Use an EPOXY primer surfacer, like PPG D822. Good luck.

Mike Coletta
Yep

Get notified of new replies

To Paint failure caused by Oil contaminated fiberglass

Quick Reply: Paint failure caused by Oil contaminated fiberglass